1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Knock Down Pin for 1100 barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ray Collins, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I need input on installing knock down pins on my 1100 barrels. Both barrels have small holes drilled in the edge of the barrel extensions which I assume is where the pins would be installed. Is this correct?
    Are the pins available for purchase and are they easy to install?
    How effective are they?

Could someone post a picture.

Also, are the wire loops a viable alternative? Do they serve the same purpose as the pins? Will they work when shooting doubles?

I shot doubles today and the empties kept hitting my neighbor; he was very polite and understanding but purchased a shell catcher for me after the event. I got the message but I can't use it when shooting doubles.

HELP...

Ray

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

with the wire you could remove it for doubles and put it back in for trap. I have never liked the knock down pins

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ray,

Like cuban' stated, just bend up some piano wire in the shape of a "acute" triangle that'll fit the holes in the flange. If they are double drilled, one will be for "knockdown" and one will be "catcher". I favor this method of shell containment over all the others.

If you'd really not like to mess around with this method, just give Tron a shout and have him spot weld your barrel so the hulls will drop at your feet.

ss

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If you shoot doubles, you must have something to knock the hull down to prevent it from interfering with the shooter on your right side. The easiest is a pin for knock down and a wire for catching hulls when shooting single shots. Here's another temporary method that will work well also.

[​IMG]

Jim S. of AZ uses this on his semi-auto but he only uses this gun for doubles shooting. I've also used one similar on my 303 and it worked great, I even used my shell catcher when I shot single shots. Just another way of skinnin a cat.

Hap

5. Ray Collins

Thanks for the reply guys and sorry for the delayed reaponse. I like the idea of the pin and be "done with it" route. I stopped by our Remington warranty gunsmith and he doesn't want to install them. His eyesight is not accute enough and he doesn't want the to do the fitting process. It just looks like a simple steel bump that would be presed or soldered into the existing hole. Go figure...

In the meantime...

Can someone post a picture or drawing of the wire catcher that will work when shooting doubles? I play a little guitar and have some old strings that I could use to make one. Any guess as to which string--E,A,D,G,B,E--?

Hap, nice innovation. Is that a stiff pad foam with a sticky backing?

Thanks,

Ray

6. Hap MecTweaks

Ray, it's double sided sticky tape with a piece of plastic to persuade the hull forward and down. If trimmed right, you can also use a T&S shell catcher to catch spent hulls when shooting single shots with it in place too.

Hap

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Ray: Guitar string will not work. The "piano wire" being referred to is more like the wire in a paper clip but smaller in diameter. If you have 2 holes drilled in the receiver flange it may already be set up to use with the wire. One end of the wire goes in each hole with the wire compressed to form a "belly" of about 1/3" or a bit more. The "belly" faces downward and partially occludes the ejection port and traps the shell. All the dedicated 1100 trap barrels I have seen come from the factory with a "knock-down" protrusion.

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

That belly is not very deep. It only goes down about 3/32". Use piano wire. It should fit somewhat tightly into the holes. The two ends are bent about 75 degrees up from the belly & inserted into the hole. The tension holds it in, that is why 75 degrees. I like the wire much better than the T&S. More room to get the shell in & out. It will not work for doubles

9. 333t

333t Member

The knock down pin is available from Remington. It is soldered in. Here is the Remington info:

15830 1100 BARREL STUD TB (DEFLECTOR BUTTON--TRAP BBL) MUST BE SOLDERED 3.00

Phil

10. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

What you seem to want is just a 1/8" diameter button silver soldered into the barrel extension 2" back from chamber face. I just use some drill rod rounded on the end and soldered in place. Anybody that can solder should be able to do it for you. You should be prepared to adjust the button a bit with a file after it's installed. Properly installed, you should be able to put most of your empties in a five gallon bucket just right of the station at the 16 yd. line.
    Good luck, Jim Pettengill

11. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

could somebody with the wire catcher post a photo showing what the setup looks like on the gun? a second photo showing 2 caught shells in the catcher would be outstanding.

I'm kinda hesitant to consider drilling the receiver, but with that said I should probably fully understand what involves and looks like before I object to it. I have no idea how invasive the mod is.

I'd rather have something that catches the hulls so that I can grab them and put them in the bag after shooting while on the line vs picking hulls up off the ground after each session which I find a PITA.

12. Ray Collins

I would appreciate a photo also. My barrel has only one hole drilled in the receiver extension so the wire will need to function using only one hole; in addition, I need the wire solution to work with doubles. I am only interested in the shells not hitting my neighbor when they are ejected. I don't reload so picking them up is not an issue.

I am guessing, but it appears that the knock-down pin/ button is going to be my solution??

Ray

13. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

just to get the photo thing going):

this is the standard shell catcher as I know it, my understanding is that this will not work for doubles. kinda ruins the blueing on the receiver

[​IMG]

this is the "save it" wire catcher for singles and doubles for 12g only, mounts with tape:

[​IMG]

this is the morton MMSC catcher that will work for singles and doubles:

[​IMG]

14. Hap MecTweaks

Here's a pic of a music wire catcher for catching single hulls.
    [​IMG]

Hap

15. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

thanks Hap, interesting. So that won't work for doubles?

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have seen a Morton shell catcher in person and I really try hard not to post negative things....BUT...its got to be the dumbest ugliest rube goldberg thing I have ever seen. The poor guy got laughed off the field. Get a T&S catcher or have a music wire installed for singles. If you want to use your auto for doubles send your barrel to a trap gunsmith like http://tronspace.com

17. Hap MecTweaks

SonoraMike, no it won't catch two hulls, the first one interferes with the second one feeding into the chamber. I've used the plastic stop to knock down hulls and used a T&S catcher to catch one hull at a time on singles and caps. A while back there was a guy posted a very slick unit that he videoed catching both hulls from a semi-auto but haven't heard anything since though. It was a very slick operation and caught both hulls great!!

Hap

18. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

Hap - I'll have to see if my mad search skills are still intact and find that video you mention

19. Ray Collins

Phil: Thanks for the part number; I ordered two from Remington yesterday.

Jim: Thanks for the tip; I can see how that would work as well as the deflector button.

Pat: Thanks for the idea; my gunsmith said silver soldering would damage the blueing so I may switch to your solution.

Thanks to everyone for the interest and help--also, the fellows who shoot standing on my right thank you too!

I will post again when the job is done.

Ray

20. SonoraMike

SonoraMike TS Member

finally got my hands on my 1100 today after the *very long* 10 day CA wait period but no time left today to get to the range to get a box shot off tonight. bummed

@Hap - can you measure the thickness of the wire and the distance from the barrel edge to the top of the arch in the wire? I don't want to install a catcher plate, I always see receiver damage/scuffing where they are installed.

[​IMG]

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
knock down pin on remington 1100
model 1100 knock down pin

remington 1100 deflector stud lt-20

remington 1100 knock down pin

remington 1100 knock down stud

remington shell deflector tapped hole stud

remove wire shell catcher 1100