1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

knife sharpener ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ntgr8, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

What is a good and easy to use sharpener for kitchen knives?? My Chicago Cutlery knives are so dull they are useless. HELP

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Warthog V-Sharp, not cheap but foolproof. Jeff

3. 16gun

16gun Member

A unit called "Work Sharp" is a wonderful easy to use power tool that will sharpen most any knife. Look at it on Amazon. Best price also.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Kitchen knives?

Chef's Choice Diamond Hone 3-Stage Electric Knife Sharpener !

Around $60 at your local WalMart.

It will turn a dull bluntedged chefs knife into a razor sharp instument in less than 2 minutes!

ahab_2008_0303153.jpg

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I think I've purchased every gimmick knife sharper ever made. And none are worth a crap. I finally bit the bullet and purchased a Chef's Choice model 120 (about $120). It has three stones and will turn any (I mean any) knife into a razor sharp instrument. I would buy it again, that's how much I like it.

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I second the Chef's Choice. I have the 130 and am quite pleased with the results.

$149.00 on Amazon- Chefs Choice 130 Professional Sharp Station Knife Sharpener

[​IMG]

7. brownk80

brownk80 Member

WARTHOG!!!!!!!!!!

Much better than any electric out there.

I have the Chicago Carbon Steel knives and one I sharpened them they now take a very light stroke once in a while to keep their razor sharp edge. They are as sharp as my sushi knives from Japan.

8. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

Warthog..... nothing better!!!

Doc

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I also have the Chefs Choice 120 but I still use a fine sharping stone afterward. Hard to beat a good sharp knife in the kitchen.

10. kenf

kenf Active Member

Throw them in the trash and buy a set of Cutco and send them back to Olean, NY every few years for resharpening.

11. dougp

dougp TS Member

Chef,s choice is good , faster to sharpen knives but I use my triangle ceramics now sold by Spyderco.A little more work but are excellent I bought them under the the trade name called Triangle sharpeners 30 years ago( 35.00 , I also can sharpen all my fish hooks and scissors and serrated knives too , Cost about 90 bucks now but worth the money.

12. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you really want the best, Wicked Edge is tough to beat.

13. Fredinpa1

Fredinpa1 TS Member

Edge pro make the best sharping system. There is a bit of a learning curve to get a proper edge but worth the effort .

14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

For a one stage unit I would go with a Vulkanus if you can find one. Martinpicker

15. Sharp1

Sharp1 Member

I have good results with a whett stone. About $25 for a 2 sided stone. Use liquid soap as wetting agent, start coarse then fine then steel. GL

16. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I use a Gatco system on all my knives. Different knives have different uses, and therefor should have different angles on the blades.

With a Gatco (or Lansky) system, you clamp the knife blade in an L-shaped jig which has holes on both right angle legs of the jig. These give you properly set angles for different knives. I can do tiny little pocket knives, on up to great big chef's knives, and can even do serrated blades, using a special serrated blade stone.

The system comes in a platic case, and includes instructions, clamps, stones, and oil for the stones. They are easy to use, and are especially handy if you are lucky in your hunts. There is NOTHING worse than trying to process, with a dull knife, a partially frozen animal which has hung overnight in a cold snap. A couple minutes with this system, and you are good to go. I realise that doesn't come under the heading of kitchen knives, but for less money than the electric units, you acquire more versatility.

17. gotbass

gotbass Member

Another voter for Worksharp. Didn't like Chef's Choice.

18. 16gun

16gun Member

I would add that the worksharp will also do scissors, game shears and with its adjustable head axes or lawn mower blades. Like the Lansky system the worksharp also uses a guide system to put the proper angle on your knife blade. I will tell you that it is fast with only a short familiarization period.

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

"BE" knows. He is our resident knife man.

I am like "Sharp1". I use a wet stone (why the H in the name?)

I have a full set of wood handled knives because they are easier to handle (for me). About once or twice a year I use my whet stone to put on a new edge and as I use knives I regularly use my steel to reorient the edge. There are many ways to check and see if your knifge is sharp. But the one I use is to lightly let the edge rest on my thumbnail and see if it catches or slides off without catching. If it catches it is sharp for all household purposes excepting shaving. I will admit tho, that learning to run th eknife on the whetstone properly is near an art form. And if you do it wrong you dish the stone and render it useless.

The advantage to using a whetstone and a steel is that your knives never wear down or wear out. The electric shapreners take a lot of metal.

20. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Warthog.

You can change the fineness of the rods and a steel and change the angle depending on what you are sharpening. Kitchen knives, pocket knives, hunting knives, etc.

Nothing better or quicker. Accurate and repeatable.

JMHO.

Brownk80

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.