1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Knee troubles

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Of all the shooters on this forum there has to be a few with some knee problems. My question is has anyone ever had a cortisone shot in the knee, or the series of three the docs use, and if so did it help any. They want me to try the shots first before a partial knee replacement, the people I know that have had the shots say it didnt help any. Opinions please

2. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I went through the electrical treatments(Ionto or somthyng like that )then had the injections,for my elbow not my knee.Just had surgery in july and wil be recovering til May 2008(wouldnt wish it on my worse enemy)though i was running out of options.They like to have you go through the shots to see if they can avoid the surgery,and those are the hoops that the Insurance companies make you go through.
    give me ashout if you have any other questions

3. Pukey Stagg

Pukey Stagg TS Member

A friend (woman) had that series of three shots (one per week) twice and it helped both times. It bothered her for a day or two each time but after that she was good for several months. The docter would do it only twice. After that he replaced the knee. Good Luck.

Pukey

4. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I've had my knees drained and cortisoned numerous times. Helps for a little while and then the knees are right back to where they started, hurting like HELL!...Bill

5. Mark S

Mark S TS Member

I recently finished the three injection series of Synvisc. The injections were given one week apart. The injections were painless. I am now into my 6th week and my knee feels the best it has in 20 years. I have a greater range of motion, my knee feels much more stable, and the general pain that I had in my knee is gone. It is working for me. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Google Synvisc and go to the company website. It will answer a lot of your questions. Good luck.
    Mark

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I took the three shots in the back with no success, had back surgery that lasted for for years and had a new hip 4 months ago and have been happy since.

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I,v had total knee replacement . The only real answer .

8. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I had two installed about five years ago. Just wish I had done it sooner. Yes, It hurt for a bit but the end result was worth the trouble. I had them both done at the same time! Stupid, maybe, but I'm a coward when it comes to pain. I figured if I only did one and it hurt, I'd never get the second done. Went thru the cortisone, the sinvisc and all kind of pills, can't say I got much relief. Finally, the Dr. said either fix them right or pick out a wheelchair, you'll need it before the end of the year. Wish he would have given me that choice sooner. As a friend told me, "There's nothing to it" but it hurts a little!

Big Jack

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had orthroscopic surgery on both knees for torn minuscus' back in the mid to late 1980's. One knee healed up pretty well, but the other never did, and I'm listed by the State of Oregon as being 5% disabled. I get around OK most of the time, but there are occasional periods when it gives me trouble. I've had cortisone shots, and they are not very fun. But I always had some relief with them. It's been probably 18 years since I had my last one. When I had surgery, there was no such thing as a replacement miniscus. They either removed the torn portion, or removed it entirely, leaving bone on bone contact. The doctor told me that someday I will have arthritis in one or both knees, but one for sure.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I've had the series of 5 Hyalgan injections in my right knee, first it hurt like hell and they lasted all of two weeks when all was said and done. I need two new knees but am in limbo with health insurance until next year. My copay on the series of injections was close to $1500. Looking at the Johnson & Johnson Depuy knees but have seen a lot of law suites about that knee. I already have the Stryker ceramic hips both left and right so a new pair of knees should make me a new man. Then a new unit with a vibrating option and should be good to go.

Jerbear

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Depends what is wrong - that is the main issue

Sometimes the results from the Cortizone shots can be dramatic-- I have had such results--

sometimes it is like putting your finger in a dike- you commit to this hoping it will help or praying actually - and of course it wont- you really need much greater treatment

the question is- what did the doc say?

regards

Gene

12. DOBER01

DOBER01 TS Member

Had the SynVisc shots and I was pain free for 8months. Finally went back for a second series expecting similar results.No luck.They did not work at all. Had to wait six weeks for cortizone. Will have knee replacement this summer.

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Fell off a printing press and damaged the cartilage in both knees in 1985. Took till 1998 for the cartilage damage to wear bone to bone on the inside halves of my knees. Outside was full cartilage. Hurt like hell. Took Vioxx for 2 1/2 years, and it was a wonder drug when I started on it, but towards the end, I always thought I was going to have a heart attack. Had cortisone shots as necessary throughout. Tried Synvisc tried on both knees, then had both knees partially replaced six years ago after I couldn't walk any longer. One was December 19th and the other in Feb about six weeks later. My left knee always sucked with pain afterwards, and hurts now. Seven knee surgeries so far, including another arthroscopy on my left knee after the knee replacements to eliminate scar tissue, and bone spurs and cartilage growing back. Sometimes I think I would rather cut off my legs. I live in daily pain and walk with a cane in the morning and night. I can walk and work part time only. Haven't shot too much trap since the replacements. I would never have another surgery as long as I live if I could help it.

Every case is different, and I'm not your doctor, but what I've learned from experience is that Cortizone will do nothing to alleviate your problems if you are to the point of partial knee replacements. Neither will chicken combs/Synvisc. Take lots of Ibuprofin if your stomach will handle it. Seek out the very best doctor you can find for your replacements, then get a second opinion from another highly qualified doctor. Do the spinal. Make sure they adjust the leg bending machine correctly before you go into surgery. Don't let any therapist push you too fast or beyond your limits. What really sucks is that I'm 45 years old and will have to do this over and over again. I'm just about ready for it.

14. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

With the knee replacements, once they are healed, can you kneel on them?

15. Bridger

Bridger Member

No luck with cortisone shots. I've had total replacements on both knees. Night and day difference. I couldn't stand for 5 minutes before without severe pain. I can now do about whatever I want. Very little pain and only take pain meds if I really overstress the knees. Its about a month of ugly after surgery but well worth it to be pain free.

16. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

To: dhwbailey
    There are five things most all who have had knee replacements will NEVER do again the rest of their lives.
    1. Run 2. jump 2. do construction work, 3. climb a ladder, 4. kneel.
    My doctor gave these to me in writing upon discharge from the hospital after surgery. He is right. A friend had a replacement by the same doctor. 4-5 months later he fell from a ladder, crushed his pelvis, and other various injuries.
    To sum up. You will never be able to do much of anything the way you used to, especially if you are over 60.

17. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've had Synvisk injections in both knees. 3 injections 1 week apart...hurt like a SOB and lasted about 3 months...1/2 as long as advertized. One knee was done on a clinical trial had to pay for the second round ($300)....not worth it...cortizone is a stop gap and can cause more problems than it fixes...knee replacments are next after I lose another 100 lbs.....kinda screws up my shooting...can only do so much in a day.

18. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

thanks for the replies so far. It sounds like the shots are a waste of time and money for the most part. the reason I am hesitant about knee replacement is that my Dad had one replaced and two weeks later he was dead from side effects from the surgery. To make a long story short, some fat embeli got into his head from the surgery and caused several mini strokes, very rare but it happened.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Surgery always has it's risks. My younger brother has nad both knees replaced after many sports injuries. He required some bone grafting on his left knee and the net result is some residual pain in that knee.....it's not the be-all and end-all that amny people think it is but it's all that's available to people with knees as bad as mine. Has anybody heard of the use of ceramic knee replacments being done anywhere??...and how much $$$'s ?

20. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.