1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Knee Replacement

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by moke, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moke

moke TS Member

I was wondering if any of you have had knee replacement surgery. And if so, how long was it before you got back to the trap line? Moke

2. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Moke,my wife had both done at once two years ago.
    They had her up the next day.She was pretty much doing whatever she wanted to do in four weeks.Good luck.

Bo

3. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I worked in this industry for over 20 years and I can tell you the outcome is all surgeon related. Get the Best!

4. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I've had a hip and knee both . The hip is a piece of cake , knee took a little longer , like the others said , 4 weeks or so. Just do you exercises. I completed my 4 week theropy in 2 1/2 weeks ( 110 degrees ) and was told to do whatever I wanted to

5. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

Jane had a knee replacement and was back to shooting in about 6 weeks. The important part is the exercising and following your doctors advice exactly. You must exercise every day. You may be a little discouraged the first week but healing moves very quickly. Feel free to contact us. Michael and Jane

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

I've had both knees done. It will take about 5 weeks to get to where you want to start shooting again. The physical therapy is what is all important. It hurts, but I have known people who did not do theirs the way they should have and they might as well have saved their time and money because they are not that much better off. I did mine like my life depended on it and I am now pain free and can do about whatever I want. I was off crutches totally in 10 days with the second one, probably about two weeks with the first one. You need to get your knee to about a 130 degree bend, my therapist would never have released me at 110 degrees. Its worth it to stick with it a little longer and get it done right.If it freezes in place because of not doing enough therapy that's as good as its ever going to get.

7. GRR

GRR TS Member

trpshtr2001.....You are 100% correct, I was shooting in three weeks, but I did my exercises all the time I was awake. I was shooting in Jan. and had help from my friends at the club, snow removal, salting the trap line and doing anything so I didn't slip and fall. When you have friends like that it makes it alot easier.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wife had hers done 2 years ago. To see her walk now you'd never know.

First couple of days was tough, tough, tough. Very painful.

But like the others have noted, do the exercises and you'll do fine.

9. baflstang

baflstang Member

Sounds like all of you had non-eventful recoveries. Try throwing in a therapist assistant that forces bending which resulted in a patellar fracture, two more surgeries (one to re-attach the quad muscle to the patella and one to release scar tissue from immobilization), then add the free staph infection and what do you have; two more surgeries coming up. The first will remove the existing knee, insert a stabilizer filled withme again. antibiotics, and get me on IV antibiotics for six weeks. Then after a two week wait to make sure the staph is gone a new knee will be installed. I am glad that many of you had good to great results but my other knee is going to hurt a lot more before it gets replaced. BTW I would not trade my surgeon for any other. He is great. As far as therapists go, they will not get me again. Bill

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Moke, Don't hesitate! Had them both done (together) about five years ago. I was back at my desk working in about four weeks and back shooting just about the same. I won't kid you, it did hurt a bit but when it healed, it's better then I've had for over twenty years. Did them at the same time because I was afraid if one hurt I wouldn't go back for the secondand only one deductible on the crazy insurance I had at the time. I just wish I could have done it fifteen years sooner. Do your therapy and keep them in motion all you can. Incidently, do pleanty of exercising of the leg muscles prior to the surgery. Strengthen them up and it will be a lot easier on you.

Big Jack

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Dr. Shivley, Washington University Orthopedics. In St.Louis, MO

12. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

I'm about to pull the trigger on at least one knee. For those of you that have had it done........Can you climb a ladder, work on your knees (construction) wander around in waders in the duck marsh, walk a mile, hunt in the mountains?

13. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

pduryee: I'm in the same boat as you.I'm a carpenter and as you know you have to be able to be on your knees. I have had 7 knee operations.The doc says the next one has to be replacement. I'm 46 yrs old and they say thats a little young to have one replaced....Nuc

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I need both done as well, problem is they are bad enough to get replaced but insurance is a problem at the moment. I have them rapped now and walk with a cane when necessary. I been on a morphine patch and other meds for nerve pain from a spinal cord surgery back in 2000 and both hips replace in 2004.Back in 04 the Dr. told me I would need a pair of knees within 5 years,due to the way I walked when my hips were killing me.Still have end of stem pain after 3 years, doc says it may never go away completely until I move to a warmer climate. Michigan winters have been a B!tch since the surgeries.

I sure there are a few people out there, that at some time before your surgeries when you were in pain, you counted steps to the bathroom to make up your mind if it was worth going through the pain to pee. At 47 The surgeon says they are not quite ready for total replacement but wants to resurface and another surgeon says to replace. I'm at stage 4 collapse (no cartilage) and had halogen injections in both knees with no relief after 24 hours.
    Next month will tell the tail of insurance and then it's decision time.

Good luck to Moke and remember that, every day you wake up on this side of the grass is a good day.

I live in the hot tub most of the day...

Jerbear

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just had a shoulder repalcement revision, Had the replacement 12 years ago, the glenoid(socket) loosened and had to be taken out. The first replacement I was shooting trap in 8 weeks this time it will be 3 months or more.

16. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Jerbear: My god.My heart goes out for you buddy! I know what you mean about the pain,but I can't imagine what you have been threw..Best of luck for ya.It can only get better?..Nuc

17. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Jerbear,

How did your hip replacements go when you had them? My SO is having his hip replaced in a week and a half and we're wondering what can be expected.
    It's been a tough month or so. He had to give up shooting this week and has been on two canes for more than a week. The surgery will hopefully mean some relief for him.

Anyway, good luck with your knees. The doctors told us that knees are only good for 15 years, so they don't want to replace them when you are in your 40's because you would need it done again in your 60's.

Keep us posted!

Luvn

18. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

what type of knee did some of you have [bio met other] and what age [Iam 54] they dont want to do it now rick

19. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

luvnbearhugs1, Hips heal alot quicker then knees, so I'm told. I was walking the halls the next day. The left hip was done in March of 04 and the right was July of 04. I'm sure he had to go to classes to see what they were going to do and what implant they were going to install. I did not walk with a walker for too long, only in the hospital. Once I got home I was moving pretty good but you have to watch the range of motion. He will have to remember the 90 degree rule for at least 6 weeks to 10 weeks. That was already told to him in class. We "Hippies" have to watch falling because if we sever the artery like that football player did when he got shot it all over. I have ceramic on ceramic witch should last me for as long as I live. I have a 40lbs weight limit for the rest of my life. As a matter of fact today I'm feeling the stem pain in my left femur and it's always my left one but xrays show nothing wrong.
    He will most likely be in the hospital for 3 days and in rehab or home after that, depending on his age. He will also most likely have to inject himself with Heparin for 10 days after surgery to prevent blood clots.They had me sitting in a reclining chair 4 hours after surgery to get the blood flowing. If he's in good health and he's probably in better health then I am he will do just fine.

Here is my implant... It's a Stryker ceramic and I have a 4-5" incision both hip areas.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/?action=view&current=bf6d03f0.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

20. 682LINY

682LINY Member

To pduryee and nuk,,,,,had rite knee done in 2003 ,45 yrs old,,this was after 9 oparations since 1978,,,shattered tibia platu ,,,,needed knee than but to young,,,,yes I can hunt ,,,walk a mile or 3 up the mountian,,,kneel down,,,I do wear knee pads,,,,tring to save whays left of the left knee and protect rite knee,,,I am a heavy equipt mechanic,,,was back to work in about 8 weeks full duty,,,,lite duty a little sooner,,,,was riding my harly to rehab 6 weeks after surgury,,,,,Had a smith and nephew inplant,,,,not the one that was recalled,,,,that was a glue only,,,or no glue ,,,I forget witch one,,,,but it was for spical use,,,,the one I got was made for younger and still active people,,,,the key to good results is working the leg mussels before to oparation,,,and working the rehab program as hard as you can,,,,feel free to e mail me,,,,Bill Goscinski ATA # 02 11236,,,PS my trap scores went up 10 birds after surgury,,,,could stand comfrtable for 100 birds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.