1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

knee replacement

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Stumpi24, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

I have read manny threads on knee replacements here and I am now on my fourth day of recovery from a total replacement. Now don't worry I will work hard like everyone says in therapy, for the ones that say they are shooting a 300 bird program three days or four days later I say bullsh t.I would have to see it to believe it. I had my hip done last December 16 months ago and it was 8 weeks before really feeling good enough to go. Everyone says this hurts more but can still go earlier. It does hurt worse but I bet I am not out the door any earlier. I will also agree a lot of people are tougher than me. I am excited about no pain for the first time in 20 years. Ed says I can walk his dog. Excited about things Stan

2. max trap

max trap Member

If you want to call sitting in your kitchen eating BLTs and drinking ice tea hard work (rehab)so be it. The reason you're pain free is because you're still high on morphine and barbiturates !! And I don't want you anywhere near my dog ! Wishing you a speedy recovery Stan..See you on the line. Ed

3. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

Seven weeks out today. I'm just getting to the point shooting sounds fun again. I've had both hips done and don't think the two combined generated the pain the knee has. I haven't slept for more than an hour and twenty minutes straight since the surgery. I'm not sure if it's not for sissies or if it makes a sissy out of a guy!
    Dave

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Hi Dave, I'm at the six week mark and agree with everything you said. The pain has been much worse that I thought it would be but was trying to not take the pain meds but have started taking them again to lessen the overall pain. I was up to 113 degrees of motion until yesterday and woke up from my last nap(not sleep any more, it's naps and you become thankful of them) to find that I had about 25 degrees of motion and have been working to get it back up but so far at about 55. I know this don't sound pretty but anyone that has this surgery get a good supply of stool softners and and don't miss a day of taking them. Constipation simply adds to the already miserable situation. I have been riding my stationary bike on a regular basis about 3 miles a day but can't ride it now due to the pain. The good thing is I can walk with very little pain. I know I haven't painted you a very pretty picture but this is my experience. Everything was easy as long as I had the morphine. There is no turning back so I'm determined to make the best of it till I am healed. Good luck to all of you. Jackie B.

5. skipsor

skipsor Member

Stumpi, for a better nights sleep Try sleeping in a recliner if you have one. For me it took about two weeks of recliner living and then I could sleep in my bed.

I had my first knee done in June of '11 and I was in Arizona dove hunting in September.

Here's one thing to watch for that nobody tells you about. If you wear shorts be aware that if you are riding in a car and the sun coming through the window, on a warm day, is right on your knee the titanium will heat up to the point of extreme discomfort. The cure is to cover your knee with a light piece of cloth.

You are listening to the voice of experience.

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Stumpi- Looks like you'll have to trade your gray eating shorts in for a pair of lt blue yoga pants

7. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I get my left knee replaced next Thursday....and I've been taking care of my wife who had her second knee replacement surgery a month ago....so I know exactly what I'm in for....and I hope I'm as tough as her and my brother, who's had both done too...but I kinda doubt it.

Ron Burr

8. deadnout

deadnout Member

i had my left knee replaced in 4/2010. it took about 10 wks to get to where i could walk normal. as for as pain they gave me a blocker shot in the upper thigh and i didnt feel any pain. not even when they took the staples out out. if the worst i felt was uncomfortable. taking a shower was a bear tho. three years out and it works better then the original. now to get the right one done. just take your meds and do your p/t

9. mobear

mobear Member

I had my right knee replaced in September of 07, it was about 8 weeks before feeling safe walking. And I have said this before on other thread, if they have you on oxycotin for the pain, be prepared to go thru about 2 weeks of withdrawals when you are done with the medication. I was on it in the hospital, and for 30 days after surgery and those 2 weeks of withdrawal was worse than the surgery.

10. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Thanks for some honest feedback. I know I will get by this and everything will be better. It is just getting to the better. Make sure to get a water cooler with ice in it and comes and wraps around your leg. It is called solar care. It keeps ice on your knee and really works great. Good luck everyone. Stan

11. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've replied to this question before, but here goes again.

I decided to have my knees replaced in the third week of July 2009, about three weeks before my 63rd birthday. I wanted to have them both done at the same time, both to save costs (only one hospital stay) and to get it over with. The surgeon ordered a number of tests beforehand to see whether my heart could take the stress. Before I went in, he asked which one I wanted done first, explaining that if I showed too much cardiac stress during the surgery he would only do one.The surgery went well and he did a total replacement on both knees. The surgery was on a Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday the physical therapists had me get out of bed and into a chair. It was hard because I was trying to support most of my weight with my arms. They told me to use my legs. Thursday they had me walk to the end of the hall past the nursing station and back using a walker. Friday morning we did that again, plus climbed up and down some stairs. Friday afternoon I went home. At home I used a machine that flexed and straightened my legs, used a walker, and did leg lifts in a chair. There was a physical therapist who came to my home several times per week, and a nurse who checked my pulse and blood clotting time several times a week. About a week after the surgery the physical therapist asked whether I could get around without the walker at all. I walked down to the end of the hall and back without it, and from that time on did not use a walker, cane, or crutches at all. After the second week the physical therapist said I was doing so well he did not need to come to my home anymore, and helped me arrange some outpatient physical therapy. I continued with that until the end of August, when they said I had progressed to the point that I did not need their services.

About three weeks after the surgery my trap club, Pocatello, had its annual gun shoot, a four-day affair with many shooters. I cashiered it and was on my feet much of the time. I usually shot the entire program, but that time I only shot a couple of the handicaps, doing about as well as usual, and having no problems I could attribute to my new knees. I waited until the day after the shoot to go back to work. My office was on the third floor of the administration building. At first I took the stairs up several times per day, and the elevator down. After the first week I took the stairs.

I retired at the end of August (planned before the surgery), and my wife and I took a driving vacation of a couple of thousand miles - no problems or discomfort.

One of my friends/colleagues is the head of the Physical Therapy Department at the university where I worked. He set up a training regimen I used at my local Gold's Gym, and I stuck to it religiously through the fall. In exchange I obtained for him copies of my x-rays before and after to use in his classes. He said the "before" shots were some of the worst he had ever seen, with essentially no cartilage and lots of calcium deposits.

At the end of October I went on a week-long deer hunt in the mountains of central Idaho. The year before there were places I could not keep up, feeling too much pain trying to go up and down over steep, rugged terrain. After the surgery I had a far easier time of it, riding horses, stalking through rugged terrain both with and without snow, and harvesting a nice buck. A few weeks later I took a cow elk on another mountain horseback hunt. Each year since I have gone on deer, elk, or antelope hunts in the same area with no problems, and each time I mentally thank my surgeon for making it possible. If I had not had the knee replacements, I'm sure my hunting days would be behind me now.

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Pocatello, an old college mate of mine from Morgan, Utah had both of his done a week apart. Up here in Alberta our surgeons generally won't do both at the same time or close together. I hope to get my right knee done late this fall after my left one heals enough.

Ron Burr

13. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Just make sure that Doc gives standing orders for the pain following spinal; you

have to stay ahead of the pain. I raised holy hell on the first knee pain was

so damn great about 4 hours of it. I was gripping the damn handrails so tight I

wouldn't doubt I left fingerprints. When you start to feel pain its damn near

late to start taking something for it. Just writing this has got me upset.

On my second one after all the hell I raised the same thing happened. Couldn't

get a hold of the Doc. The RN came in and said she didn't appreciate the

language I was using in front of her nurses. I told her kill the damn pain

then. I can take a lot of pain- Use to let the dentist drill on my teeth

without a shot of painkiller , til the pain would get too bad. Hated needles.

If I ever had to go thru it again I would have a shocker on the Doc's nuts and

me on the controls. There was no reason for all the pain I went thru. Most

that have had it done don't go thru what I did. I don't mean to scare you,

if the Doc does his job like he should you won't have much trouble. Ken U

right

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.