1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Knee Replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Greg LV, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

I'm scheduled for knee replacement of both knees on 12/20. Any information on recovery would be appreciated.

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Your going to find out your not going to be able to walk to good at first but the more you walk the faster your going to recover from it. They had me up and walking the same day after mine. Walking is the key!

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Greglv; j Just had my left knee replaced aug 9th.They used a different way to do it here in state college.They lifted the knee cap and ground it to fit a plate and put in a bottom post.Not going a obove the knee cut down on rehab time and I am able to go on my hands and knees on the floor when I want to.I was off the walker in 4 or5 days and off the cain in another week or so.I had no pain in the knee after that except when trying to get a better range of motion in the knee.The knee ie great,no pain and is solid as a tree stump. I have a lot of pain in my right side in the back and right leg but that is because I waited for 30 yrs.limping on my left leg and now my back is straight my right leg is straight and they are rebeling.Now after 3 months I am able to walk for a couple of hrs.I was back shooting in 3 or 4 weeks and found mussele I never knew I had when bending over.Push your self in rehab and after and you will not believe how great it is.Good luck to you and keep moving.

4. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

My 70 yr old mother just had her's done. Walked the same day. She used the therapy machine that stretches the leg faithfully. Recovery was great because of it. Now, a few months later she can walk all day.

Good luck,
    Dave

5. bpeeples

bpeeples TS Member

I had a total knee 2 years ago. I was still riding motorcycles on the track and need 120+ degrees range of motion to get back on the track bike. I was able to get this with physical therapy.

I strong suggest getting a sexy female ( if that works for you ) therapist to work you. There is no chance in hell I would have pushed myself that hard for a guy. I did PT every other day.

Take the pain pills. I used a single crutch for 1 day, then a cane for about a week. I had severe back pain caused by the leg being longer. I took care of that with a lift on the other side.

It is so wonderful to be able to walk that I gave up the motorcycle, but I did go back to riding for another 8 months after the operation.

I was 64
    when I had the operation.

Good luck.

Ben.

6. white rattler

white rattler Member

I would not do both knees at the same time. Good luck. Trevor Dawe

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have had both knees replaced. Took me about 2 months to really feel good. Very important to not cheat on the rehab. There are a lot of variables that determine your recovery time, age,physical condition prior to operation,weight,how good your surgeon is...Hope you experience is a good one...SMOKIT

8. Franktri

Franktri Member

Had my right knee done in March and by May was in good shape. VERY IMPORTANT that you pay your dues with rehab as it will determine how you succeed. You must work out the scar tissue that forms with inactivity. Good luck... The pain is worth the outcome!!

9. 007

007 Member

I had both knees replaced at the same time, worked out very good. The best advice I could give anyone is make sure you work at the physical therapy with a vengeance. It may hurt for a while but it is worth the pain.

10. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Had my left replaced when I was 70. If you are younger, you shouldn't have a lot of trouble. It all depends on the therapy. If you don't do it exactly as the therapist says plus some, you may have to go back to hospital and have it broken loose and start over. My therapist wanted 120 degrees of bend, I got 128, but daily exercise is important or you will stiffen up again. When I was discharged from the hospital I was given instructions as to what I was never to do again-Don't climb a ladder, do not run or jump, don't do construction work.

I have a friend who paid no attention and climbed a ladder, fell off, spent 3 weeks in the hospital and rehab.

11. SMOKEIT

snapthecat: I had to go thru the procedure of re-breaking the scar tissue and starting over..Not a lot of fun. I was good about doing my rehab but the Doc said that I healed unusually fast..SMOKIT

12. addictedtotrap

addictedtotrap Member

I have not had my knee replaced, but I spent a week with my dad when he had his done...
    doing the therapy IS THE KEY, he couldn't walk for more than an hour before the surgery, now he can walk pretty much all day...

Due the physical therapy and then some....

Jake

13. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Greg, by all means do what they say to do in therapy. DO NOT skip or try to get by not doing it. Over the years I have seen many good results as well as poor results and the majority of the poor results is that the patient was not committed to therapy or tried doing something they were not supposes to do.

14. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

I had a total knee replacement in June and just had a total hip in October. I agree with what has been said. I think the big advantage is having the CPM machine at the hospital and at home for several weeks. My surgeon always has his patients use them and I think they really help with the recovery. The machine gently moves your leg and bends it to various degrees up to 120, this is determined by adjustable settings. It really helped getting the leg loosened up and kept it flexible. I also recommend doing the exercises that the surgeon gives you in advance. I did them every day for a month before the surgery and at least a month after. These really help to strengten your leg muscles that may have gotten very weak from the damage knee and lack of mobility. Good Luck....

15. peddler

peddler Member

I really appreciate all the above experience and comments about knee replacement. It has answered all the questions I have about the surgery and re-hab. Tomorrow at 2:30 December 6th. I will have knee replacement surgery. Thanks again for all the advise.

Jon

16. SMOKEIT

Jon--Strength to you........SMOKIT

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I've posted this before, but here it is again:

I had a double total replacement Tuesday July 21, 2009 in the afternoon. Wednesday they got me up out of bed to a chair. I tried to support my weight mostly with my arms, but it didn't work too well. The PT guy told me to use my legs. Thursday morning it was down to the end of the hall and back with a walker. Friday morning down to the end of the hall again, and practice climbing stairs. Friday afternoon I went home, with a walker. Monday a PT guy came out to my home for some work. It was either that day or the next that he asked whether I could get around without the walker. I went down to the end of my hall and back without it, and did not use it, a cane, or crutches after. The PT guy came to my house every other day for about two weeks, and then said I had progressed past where he expected me, so referred me to an outpatient clinic. I went there about three times a week until the end of August, and then was done with them. There also was a nurse who came to my house about three times a week for three weeks or so to check my blood pressure and clotting rate.

I went back to work about three weeks after the operation. I could have gone back earlier but cashiered our local club's four-day shoot instead. I also shot two handicap events during the shoot, with scores about the same as my usual. I was driving within two weeks, and climbing flights of stairs at work within three weeks. Down was harder than up.

I retired at the end of August, and took a two thousand mile driving vacation with my wife over Labor Day and the week after. In late October I went on a week-long hunting trip in the mountains, riding horses and climbing around in the snow. I went places I couldn't go the fall before. I have had zero problems and am extremely happy I had them done. The surgery was three weeks before my 63rd birthday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.