1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Knee Replacement -need advise.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tom Strunk, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I'm 72 years old and have had two knee surgerys in 2008, one at the end of May on my left knee, and another on my right knee in early September. Both were scoped. I'm in a lot of pain every minute of every day, left knee is the worst, but both hurt, I'm bone to bone. I'm starting lubrication injections on my left knee tomorrow, one shot every week for five weeks.

I'm thinking of just going ahead and getting knee replacement(s) if every thing is not much better after the injections.

Two questions --

First, has anyone done both at the same time ? I'm just thinking that the rehab would be easier if both knees were the same.

Second, after the knee replacement will I be able to hunt birds like I am used to doing here in the hills of Arizona ?

I would appreciate any words of advise.

Tom Strunk

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Tom I have had both knees done one at a time (about three years apart). The first knee my right hurt so bad I could no longer walk . Had it done just after X-Mas bad idea . We had 8 inches of snow and I walk outside but after three weeks it was OK not the best but Ok . Back shooting in five weeks no pain at all .

Got the left knee done two years ago in the summer . Different Doctor (lot better ) three weeks and I was shooting but not well that took two more weeks . No pain No pain.

You will need to walk every day to keep it loose a mile is fine . I can,t pick my feet up as high as I did before . High grass really makes it hard to walk corn stalks bad to . But I can walk all day and no pain ?

Good luck ALF

3. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

My friend had both knees replaced at the same time - he said that he was happy that he did, because if he did only one, he would never have done the other. He went through a lot of rehab and pain. But within six months he was back playing golf. He felt that it was worth it.

4. Bridger

Bridger Member

None of the doctors in my area will do two at a time, citing enough of a risk to do them no closer than about 3 months apart. I had mine done about a year apart. Recovery went well in both instances. Physical therapy is worse than the surgery but without it you are just wasting your time. I was off crutches totally within about 10 days. My mother did have both done at the same time at the Mayo Clinic but that was a long time ago and I don't know if they still do it that way. My sister in law did not do the therapy correctly and is now in a wheel chair. Wasted everyone's time. Do the physical therapy and give it everything you have and you will have a good recovery. I rarely have any pain and can do about anything I want. Kneeling is out but that's about it.

5. mcginty22

mcginty22 TS Member

tom, had total knee replacement dec 17th. threw away the cane last week , am driving myself to and from therapy 3 times a week. tried the 5 injection route last august, no help so finally made the decision for replacement. glad i did it. first 2 weeks were painful but popped 2 perkoset every 4 hrs took care of pain. am down to 1 every 6 hours now. expect to be off completely in 2 weeks. i don't think it would be a good idea to have both done at the same time unless you want to go to a nursing home for 2-3 weeks. i was lucky, had a great nurse at home and i needed her help. good luck !

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Having mine done soon. Doc says not to shoot for 3 mos. You guys seem to have recovered much faster. I'm 60, what are your ages.

7. Barry C. Roach

Mine does about 4-500 a year. Good reputation. Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO.

8. Barry C. Roach

Mine does about 4-500 a year. Good reputation. Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO.

9. white rattler

white rattler Member

Tom phone me. Trevor Dawe 602-2640277.

10. Tom Strunk

Thanks to all who have been so kind to offer their advise, it really helps. It looks like one at a time is the way to go. I don't like hearing that my knee won't bend a little sideways after replacement, I'm going to have to alter my shooting style when chasing that hard right from post 5.

Trevor, I know you have had everything except knee replacement for your knees. Thanks especially for your sound advise.

Tom Strunk

11. Barry C. Roach

Tom, I'll bet you'll have to pivot more from your hip and your shooting improves. Good Luck!

12. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Been there done that,,,search old postes,,,,best advice ,,,,talk to the local phyiscal thearpy places,,,ask the rehab people whos wrok rehabas the best,,,,,and any streanthing of the musseles befor surgury will help after,,,,,the rehab can tell you what musseles to work out before surgury,,,,,,I have had 9 surguries on right knee scince 1978,,,,had total knee in 2003 at age 46,,,BEST THING I EVER DID,,,,I needed it in 1977,,,but they would not do it as I was too young and the knee's of that time only lasted 10 yrs,,,,I have a smith& nephew inplant made for active people,,,,not the cementless one that was recalled,,,,,and the estamate over 20 years of use before replacement,,,so I geuss 6 months before I retire I will be due for a new one,,,and I bet I have 26 weeks sick time saved up for it,,,feel fre to private message me,Bill Goscinski,,,ATA # 02 11236

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My knees are doing somewhat OK now, but I had both "scoped back in the 1980's, and had so much trouble and pain I couldn't go back into law enforcement. Back then there was no such thing as a replacement meniscus. At some point arthritis will set in and I'll probably have to do at least one knee replacement. Maybe by then Obama's national health care will be on line and I'll get free knees with no waiting, right?

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My Dad had both knees done at once. He said he had less pain the day after the operation than the day before. This was the early 80's. He passed away last spring, and never needed any other attention for them.

15. Barry C. Roach

sc - how old was your pop well he had them done?

16. 1 ounce

1 ounce TS Member

skeet2day Jim is there any web sites you used to get info on the surgon you used or how did you get your info.
    thanks gary

17. Tom Strunk

Wow, I'm really getting some super feedback here, again thanks to all who have been so kind as to help with their sugguestions.

I have retired from SoCal to Payson,AZ (5 years ago) and will go back to SoCal for any surgery. I have a long business relationship with doctors of all kinds because of my past business of building custom swimming pools for 45 plus years. I also built speciality pools for rehab business's which I used as a source of information to do as skeet2day said. I have settled with the Orthopaedic Specialty Institute in Orange, CA. I have built the indoor pool at the facility and helped the contractor build the MRI room there. Also I have built pools for two of the Doctors in the group.

A friend told me about not being able to rotate my knee. This Orthopaedic group has some of the finest surgureons in SoCal and have all the latest replacement knees. I have a meeting with a Dr. Steven L. Barnett (knee replacement specially) this coming Thursday at 3:00 PM. I believe in finding the best people for a job and let them guide you thru it, he is da man.

In closing, I want to again thank you all for your posts. Looking forward to the surgery now, the past 12 months have been misery.

Tom Strunk

18. white rattler

white rattler Member

Tom, Good luck with your upcoming meeting. Trevor Dawe.

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Tom, Go for it! Had both mine done (at same time)about six years back and haven't regreted it a bit Much better then before. Only thing about getting them done at the same time, you haven't got a good leg to stand on. (The Dr.'s joke) After the therapy, I really haven't had a problem since day one. I was back at my desk job in about two weeks and back shooting in about five or six. The only part I hate is I can't work on my knees but then I don't want to do that kind of work any longer anyway. Good luck!

Big Jack

20. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

My 85 year old uncle plays racket ball in the winter and tennis in the summer once a week. He had both knees done over 10 years ago. Of course my other uncle played golf 200 times a year until his death at age 96, 2 weeks after being removed from a course sick. He did not have the surgery, genetics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.