1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kiwi Glow vs Blue Ice for Green Targets

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 101voodoo, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Looking for advice on lens color. I've tried several different lenses for green targets, none of them seem to make the target 'pop' like they do with orange targets.

I've tried the Kiwi Glow without much success. Has anyone shot both the Kiwi Glow and the Blue Ice, and if so, were the Blue's much better?

Jim

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Well THAT is the point many of us are trying to make!!!!!I just hope they are not throwing them on a green backround............

GS

3. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Nope, desert scrub.

4. tgt12

tgt12 TS Member

Try photo grey color, won't make the target pop but won't change the natural color of the target. Photo grey will only attenuate the light (brightness) without changing any colors on anything, background or target.

5. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

I agree Gary, the Kiwi's don't do much for green and nothing for orange. Worse lens color I've bought - Jim

6. tp

tp TS Member

I have astigmatism so bright light bothers me. I've tried the blue ice and kiwi gold. They seem to accentuate the target color but do nothing for the background, and in bright sun are just too bright for my taste. Against a green background the best I've used was a Target Sun (purple)color. It dulls the background enough to let the target stand out. I just got a pair of polarized bronze which seem to be promising. Again, they don't accentuate the target color but dull the background to let the target stand out.

7. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

tp - I had lasik a year ago so I'm a little light sensitive myself.

I've got some bronze lens I haven't used in a while as they're pretty dark. Next time the sun shines with any force I'll try them again.

I have used the violet glow, but it just seems to darken everything, including the target. Gives it a sort of 'dirty' look. The purple does work great on the orange targets though.

Jim

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

My Decot target bronze glasses do a good job with green targets.

GS- To my surprise, green targets seem to be best against a green background. I do like orange against the sky but against any solid background, green is great.

Pat Ireland

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Our club throws green targets against a green tree and shrub background, and has done so for many years. I have tried both the Kiwi and the Blue Ice with varying success. The best lense color I have found for the green targets, against any background, is clear....Just my experience....Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Pat Ireland, I know you from here, to be a long time ATA shooter as well. My beef with the Green target is simple. There is just not enough contrast on a Green background to shoot this target consistent. With a sunny day your target vision should be the best, however with the Green/green your target vision is the worst. I have watched my score and others go right down the drain in the most "perfect" of conditions. There are many good shooters who work very hard on their target vision, I consider myself one of those people. As the start of this post stated there is not one lens that will help you pull out a green target on a green background. I will not go to a club any more that throws this target on a green background. Everyone's mileage may vary but this seems to do allot more with common sense.

GS

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

GS- On bright sunny days between 12 noon and 3 PM when the Sun is high in the sky (May, June, July) orange could have a little better contrast against trees than green. But at other times of the day, year, or when clouds are around, green gives a sharper contrast against trees than any other color. Green does have some problems when they are against the sky.

There are some very sound reasons why fire trucks have changed from red to yellow-green, and why highway departments have changed from orange marking cones and orange vests for workers to green vests and green cones.

It requires less light energy in the shorter wave lengths to stimulate our eyes. Orange has a longer wave length than green. If you place an orange light and a green light that emit equal amounts of light on the top of a car and have the car drive away from you, the orange light will disappear from your vision and you can still see the green light.

Pat Ireland

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I did forget to add that green targets are not great for shooters who have red-green color blindness, but orange isn't so great either.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.