1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchen faucet question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

Hey everyone! Yesterday, I bought a PUR Water Filtration System, to use in my kitchen. The first step said, they I had to remove the old faucet aerator, this is easier said than done. Is there a special tool to remove the old aerator? Trying to turn it with my hand is unsuccessful, I have tried with the following tools, adjustable wrench, failed, vise grips failed, and last but not least pliers, they can't break it free, and they start to slip. Do hardware stores carry something for this, I am not much of a do-it-yourself person, but I think I should have been able to do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Not to be a smartass but be sure it's a removable aerator. Try heat, Like a Bic lighter or hair dryer.

HM

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

An aerator is a $5 item. Go ahead and use a piars. You'll ruin it but what the heck, why buy a special tool. My water is so bad I usually buy 2 or 3 aerators at a time and just throw the old one away after I ruin it when removing the old one-NO PATIENCE!

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

Maybe you are hampered by hard water build up. Fill a baggie with CLR or vinegar and tape it over the faucet so that the end is in the liquid. Check it in a few hours. Things should be better.

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

If its that tight better look for a new fixture.If you get it out a new one will leak

6. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I'd soak it in vinegar for a few minutes before I tried something drastic. Kim

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Mine does not thread in, just push in and out and is held by a rubber o ring

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.