1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KIRK & ACRA CHILLED SHOT - HOW OLD, HOW SOFT?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jennifer, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

We were given these old bags of shot in trade for some welding work we did for a friend. We've never seen these brands/types of bags before. I was curious to see if anybody has, and how old do you think they are? The ACRA says "West Coast Shot" in Dayton, NV, not the current Carson City location, and states 5% antimony, but the Kirk makes no mention of antimony at all (might have to use it at short yardage). I'll have to open them and see how round and how soft this stuff is, and then add the bags to my collection.

Thanks! Jennifer

jennifer_2008_0303.jpg

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The West Coast Shot tower is located near Dayton,NV. I'm sure they didn't move the operation to Carson City, maybe the main office? Matter of fact, it's just across the street from some investment property we bought into there.

Jen, the chilled shot will work just fine if you keep the speeds 1200 FPS and below!!

Hap

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The one on the left is newer than '63, because of the zip code on the bag.

4. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Hap, I was looking at my shot bag collection, and there are West Coast shot bags (including an old green printed one) with the 89706 zip code and Hornady bags (made by West Coast) with the zip code of 89701 so looks like the zip's been changing over the years. We'll have to chrono our loads, I load them more by feel than a certain FPS, due to my sensitivity to perceived recoil. They might be a smidge over 1200, we'll have to chrono them. If so I'll put a smaller bushing in.

I found out that National Lead changed its name to NL Industries in 1971 so the Kirk is at least that old. I have some old Lawrence Brand that is made by NL Industries, also (see below), and it would be post 1971.

A bit of trivia, National Lead also created the "Dutch Boy" brand of paint.

jennifer_2008_03031.jpg

5. Hap MecTweaks

Thanks Jen! Dayton,NV is about 3 or 4 miles to the east of the shot tower location on route 50, Carson City is about 16 or so miles to the west. The zip code for the property across the highway from the tower is Dayton's area zip code.

In your collection of shot bags, do you have any named Azarco? Made near San Francisco,CA. That was the highest antimony, hardest shot we tested at EAFB in the early 70s! The best patterning shot I've ever seen patterns shot with from 40 to 50 yards!! I sent you a PM.

Hap

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Hap, we chrono'd the loads, they're 1210-ish. So they were just a "smidge" over 1200 as I my recoil-O-meter (shoulder) had thought. They were about room temperature so I think the test was fairly accurate. I could go down a bushing when I load the chilled shot. Maybe I'll just stay there - I flinched a few times recently - maybe my husband won't know the difference! Jen

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Shoot! Morris P Kirk has been around as a subsidiary of National Lead since before the 1920s. Don't know if they were making shot then but they've been in the lead smelting/lead recovery business at least that long.

MK

8. Hap MecTweaks

Good job Jennifer! My personal patterning experiences in the 60s-early 70s with soft chilled shot said lower velocities than normal 1200 fps loads patterned better. Read that as less fliers outside the 30 inch ring with the 2-3/4 dr load.

The breaks you'll experience with your current batch will work and could amaze you with the quality of breaks with them too. When you can deliver soft shot to a clay target with sufficient numbers, they devastate a clay by spreading out flatter when punching through. One gets the same effects with soft point rifle bullets when compared to steel jacketed ammo. Pellets spreading through a piece of clay or merely drilling a hole with steel or very hard shot can have it's advantages on sometimes hard to break targets. Hard, high antimony lead does give far more efficient patterns though.

Hap

9. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I'm with you on the slower velocity thing. I'm going to sneak that smaller bushing in there and maybe my husband won't notice, ha ha. Incidentally, he does all the rifle reloading and I do the shotgun reloading.

We only chrono'd 3 shells, but they were 1210, 1211, and 1213 fps. I was impressed! I'm using 700X through a Spolar reloader and we like the powder. I used to use Clays but when powder became hard-to-find, I had to make a change to whatever was available, and we've stayed with the 700X ever since.

Have a great weekend! Jen

10. Hap MecTweaks

Jennifer, if anything he notices, first will be a tad less recoil!!

Several years back I had Foghorn shoot a few of my singles loads of 1 ounce at the Ohio state shoot when we shared a practice round, the first state shoot held at the Cardinal Center. He absolutely destroyed his targets as he shoots really quick anyway! Afterward he says, "they don't bump enuff" like his favorite 1-1/8 singles load does??? :)

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kirk chilled shot