1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KINGEN GUN CLUB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LET, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LET

LET TS Member

Kingen Gun Club is permanently closed as of February 4, 2013 as per instructions from the executor of the estate .

Lowell E. Thomas, Trap Manager

2. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

This is really sad It was a great club to shoot at.

3. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

Lowell, I'm sorry this has happened. We know that you put allot of effort into the club the last few years. We were looking forward to shooting there this summer. Thanks for all your hard work.

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Hopefully, the heirs will consider leasing or selling it as a set up.

Probably the worst thing that can happen is for it to sit empty and idle, and fall prey to moisture, rot, rust and vandals.

5. jwaggoner

jwaggoner Member

[​IMG]

Never thought this day would come. Really sad to think that the remaining family would let such a legacy of Indiana Trap Shooting just disappear in an over growing grass field of memories. I hopeful that it will some how be open again with a large KINGEN GUN CLUB sign.

6. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Another sad day in trapshooting history. I haven't been to the club for many years, butI remember attending the state shoot there when Sharon and I were just kids.

Dave Berlet

7. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Sharon said when she was gone, the bulldozer would show up. I didn't believe her but might now.

8. Ross Randall

Ross Randall Member

That is really sad news to me. I got to shoot there last fall after I just got back into shooting. I had left the sport in 1997 after a heart attack plus some other medical issues.

My wife and I met another couple there from Shelbyville who we have been friends with for over 25 years.

Berky (Francis Berkshire) and I had never shot together in registered trap until this day. It was great fun. We even had lunch aftewords in Indy before my wife and I returned to Logansport.

We even made the comment that we would be doing this more often this coming summer, we had so much fun.

I sincerely hope something can be worked out. Clubs like this one are just getting fewer and farther apart.

Ross Randall

9. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Sad news. It's been a long time since I shot anywhere in that part of the country...but I remember Kingen's as a great place where I enjoyed shooting Trap and Flyers. Great club, good folks.

10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

At 2:30 this afternoon, Lowell called me with the bad news. The Executor of the Estate has ordered the club to be closed IMMEDIATELY.

The executor is an attorney from Greenfield IN and not one of the heirs to the estate. Although, I'm sure he will get a nice percent of the cut.

I was with Sharon when we called the ambulance and she left her house for the final time. I was at the hospital and she allowed me to stay and listen to her pulmonologist as they talked Wednesday Jan. 2.

I was there in her room as she gasp for breath her final time.

I was not at the hospital during her meeting with her Attorney which I believe happened January 3rd

Sharon let most everyone involved know her wishes and that was for the club was to remain open for business as usual.

Sharon told me what she wanted for the club January 4th and what I was to be responsible for and what Lowell was to be responsible for. Sharon said then, her Attorney and her heirs, have been told what is to be done. I thought then,.......I know what she probably told the Attorney, but what the Attorney heard and what the Attorney will do, are three completely different things......

The Attorney convinced Sharon that he should be named Executor of the Estate in order to take the "burden" off the First cousin, her closest relative and obvious choice for the job.

Lowell and I always knew that the Attorney had the power to go against Sharon's last wishes and the heirs wishes, for the club to remain open. We knew the Attorney could pull the plug at any time. Neither of us wanted to believe he would close the club, against her final wishes.......But he did it anyway.

The Attorney has told Lowell that EVERYTHING is to be liquidated.

Is there any hope that anything of the gun club be saved? Only time will tell, but it doesn't look good from where I sit..........

I'll bet all three Kingens, Dennis, Pid and Sharon are "spinnin' in their graves" right now!!!! I know for an absolute fact that this isn't what any one of them wanted to happen.

Would someone go to Washington Park East Cemetery and feel if the ground seems to be shaking???

Mark Burgess

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I shot the State Shoot there years ago, if memory serves me correctly a plane landed in front of the trapfield it was a Mooney, am I correct Dave Berlet or was it a different club in Indiana.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Dr.Longshot,
    I don't remember that particular thing happening during a State Shoot and I was at every one they held there...... But it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I do remember during some of the live pigeon shoots, Dennis would keep the field beyond the target fall and pigeon ring area mowed, where they did land.

Seems that some of the high rollers came to those pigeon shoots in their own plane and would park them on the east end of the property. Seems I can remember 3 or 4 planes parked out there.

Mark

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Well, this is just a punch in the gut, during the darkest, coldest time of year. Many happy memories there.

And (most) lawyers are scumbags, and all that.

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

buzzgun - most?????????

I think ALL

Dam shame about the club.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I was at a gun club in Indiana and I was shooting and a plane landed in front of the trap line about 50+ yards and I know shot hit it as shooters were still shooting when it landed, It was at a state shoot I was at in the late 60s or early 70s when this happened and a couple of planes were already parked to the left of the trap line.

It was at this time at the same shoot some shooters and guys were playing Poker, I had on my shooting glasses and the cards were marked w/a very light blue tint but they showed up w/my shooting glasses and I started out calling the cards when they were dealt, the shootes said how are yoing that, I said the Cards are marked and the players not shooters was wearing tinted CONTACT
    LENSES and they almost got their a**es kicked as they had been winning more than their share, and they thanked me and I said look at the backs of the cards w/my shooting glasses, and they said I'll be damned it takes all types.

Those guys left in a hurry.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The only birds I ever shot here were feathered. I had a great time and glad I got to shoot at such a historical shooting club.

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Darkhorse, did Lowell get his two GMV's from the trap houses?

18. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Mark or Lowell,

Did Sharon actually name her attorney in her Will to be the executor. By now the Will should be filed at the Hancock County Clerk's office if an estate was opened and Sharon died a domiciled resident of Hancock County. Your best bet may be to try to speak with the heirs to see if they would want to receive the gun club property as part of their distribution of the estate property, and then sell or lease it to a group willing to operate it. However, if there are debts or claims of the estate and no other assets to satisfy those, it may have to be sold to generate the cash necessary to pay any such claims or debts.

If the estate is supervised, it should take the consent of the heirs or a hearing on a petition to sell estate real estate and a court order approving the sale.

19. plaw

plaw Active Member

What do you call 40 lawyers at the bottom of the sea??.........................

GOOD START!

20. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Not Enough!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kingen gun club

kingen gun club in hancock county indiana phone
kingen gun club indiana
mark burgess trap shoot
trap shooting hancock co indiana