1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kindle??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Looking to buy a Kindle as the prices have gone down. Question: Is the Kindle DX worth the additional money vs. the standard size Kindle? Fred

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Fred,

You should also look at the unit from Sony, and the new unit coming out called the Nook.

These are both more malleable than the Kindle...

3. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I have not seen the Sony, but like the Amazon library. Who makes the Nook? Fred

4. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Barnes and Noble makes the Nook. I bought my husband the top of the line Sony for Christmas last year...too much glare, not easy to read. So far I personally prefer the Kindle. I have friends that have them. Kim

5. OK_Shooter

OK_Shooter TS Member

No it is not worth the extra money. Both my wife and myself have the standard Kindle - no problems with the size.

Phil

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

The 189 dollar Kindle is equipped with wireless and 3g....my wife can sit in her recliner and download a book in thirty seconds. No hookups required.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Do the downloads cost anything? thanks bill in MI

8. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Fred,

I bought my wife the older model last year. I think it is preferable to the larger model. The screen is still big enough, but more importantly it's size is much handier.

Slayer, no the wireless connection is free, no charge for downloads. Book prices were really great when I first bought it, but I hear publishers forced a price increase when the Apple device came out. Still not bad though, and it is really convenient when traveling to be able to just download any time you want (except in Bar Harbor, Maine where I couldn't get a good enough connection!) Lesson there is download what you want ahead of time when traveling where there isn't good 3g available.

9. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I have a second generation Kindle (before the larger screen). I spend twelve to twenty hours a week under medical treatment and find the Kindle invaluable. It is also great for a boredom relief while riding an AirDyne exercise bike. I am delighted with it and would highly recommend them to all. Amazon has thousands++ of choices for downloading. The only book I found not available for Kindle download, that I really wanted, was Skunk Works. Jimmy Borum

10. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Thanks everyone! You have pretty much confirmed what I thought. I have a birthday coming up so the $189 Kindle seems like the perfect gift. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.