1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kindle or Nook?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thinking about getting an ereader. I purchase a lot of books and figure it will probably save some money by going ereader. Any suggestions? Was just looking at "Kindles" on "Amazon" there has got to be a half dozen or more different models. Just saw an ad for a Kindle Paperwhite that looked kinda neat. Then there is the Kindle with keyboard........... Don't know which one I might like, guess I will have to go to a brick and mortar store and look at em.

Any suggestions?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Bisi,

If you want it JUST for books there isn't a big difference - I have an old Kindle (B/W - gray scale screen) and it serves me well (it will hold roughly 3,000 books at one time). I travel extensively for work and it lets me carry many volumes for very little weight.

If you want to surf the web, perhaps write e-mail or watch a film the choices get more complicated. You may want to look at tablets too (iPad, etc.). These will have color screens and more.

There are many FREE libraries where you can down-load books. Drop me a PM and I can point you where to look.

David D

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My wife has a keyboard Kindle and a Kindle Fire. Now she wants a Paperwhite!

I recently bought a no-name 7" tablet from an outfit called ahappydeal for $46. I received an email promoting them and thought that for that price, it was worth a shot as I've wasted more than that many times. It works great and I even downloaded a Kindle ap for it.

I place a lot of weight on customer service and Amazon gets high marks from me. I bought my wife her Fire mainly because the battery in her old Kindle would not hold a charge and wouldn't even let the device stay on longer than a minute when plugged in. We called Amazon to have her books transferred to her Fire and when that was finished, I asked the guy we spoke with about having the battery replaced in the old Kindle. He told us he would send out a refurbished Kindle and asked that we return the old one in that box using their prepaid shipping label. There was no charge even though her old Kindle was way out of warranty!

Now, they may have had problems with the batteries in those Kindles but even if that is the case, it was nice to be treated so well.

Ed

4. vatrap

vatrap Member

We have 3 Nooks and a Viewsonic tablet, I use the tablet most of the time.
    Since I have the Nook and Kindle apps on the tablet, I get the best of both and a better web browser. Battery life on the ereaders is better, but both last longer with the wifi turned off if you are just reading.

Mike

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Neither.... Buy an iPad

T

6. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

my wife is a reader Bought her a kindle touch last year. She is amazon prime member and gets free books and a free rental every month. She reads in bright
    sun and the standard black and white kindles are great for that. She has a case
    for it with a fold out light for night reading. Would have bought the paperwhite
    but it was not available yet. The color screen one like most tablets and laptops are not good in bright outdoor settings.

7. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

Kindle Fire HD. Wi-fi, HD color display, e-mail, movies, videos and books, camera and very good sound. $199.00, about a third the cost of an IPad.

8. Steve V

Steve V TS Member

If you want to read in bed, get the Paperwhite. $120. Great unit.

Steve

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have had my BookNook from Barnes and Noble for a number of years and have been very satisfied with it. I chose the Nook over the Kindle because if I had a problem with the Nook I didn't have to make a phone call, I could walk into any Barnes&Noble in America and a live person would fix it.

On a cruise last month, I dropped my first edition Nook and damaged the screen beyond repair. I bought a new touchscreen version for $69 and it is even better than my old one.

There are tens of thousands of titles you can get free. i.e. I have all of Zane Grey, O'Henry, Mark Twain, and dozens of other classics that I paid nothing for.

Kindle may be better...I don't know because I have never had one...but I have been very pleased with my Nook. Jack

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Nexus 7 is what I have... it's great for just about anything you want to do.

Jerbear

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Tried to buy the paperwhite, all local stores sold out so I bought the Fire HD, IMO it is a piece of junk and is going back. Hard to look at, hard to use, everywhere ya go Amazon is trying to sell ya something. ( UPDATE) I took it back to Staples, got a new one that works fine

12. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Bisi,
    I do ALOT of reading. If she likes to read, Amazon's Kindle is the only way to go. Go with the least expensive kindle that you can use on WiFi or plug into the computer. Get the model that you have to push a button to turn the page. The screen is non-glare, and does not have back lighting so it is easy on the eye. Get the leather case, it's weighted like a real book. Get the accessory light so she can read in bed while you sleep. Also, i recommend getting the power adaptor to charge in the wall. This is truely a case of the least expensive model is the best. It holds a charge for a month. The Kindle Fire HD is nice for the non-serious reader. I don't like it because the back lighting burns my eyes if I read for any period of time and the screen is glossy making it impossible to read outside due to glare and it collects finger smudges. The basic Kindle is small and will fit nicely in her purse. Furthermore, Amazon will NEVER go out of business and offers millions of books. If she is on Facebook, she can Like Ereader News Today and download free books offered on a promotional basis almost daily. I looked at the Kindle Fire recently because the IPad mini does not have the resolution that the Kindle Fire HD has. I don't like the regular IPad with Retina Display because it is too big for my purse and quite frankly costs too much, has a glossy screen and has back lighting.
    Kim

13. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Thanks for the info guys and gals. You have given me something to think about.

Kindle makes a Kindle keyboard with free 3G. I like the free 3G as I will be in places without a WiFi connection. The Kindle keyboard has a physical keyboard built it, just wondered if that was a plus or minus? The others have touchscreen keyboards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.