1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kind gesture will give owner a new customer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    On Saturday, I was driving home from the mall and a police officer pulled me over. First thing I checked was if I had my seat belt on, I did, then I asked myself if I was speeding as I wondered what could be the problem?

The police officer was nice and said that my break light was out. After he left I said to myself that I better go out to Farm and Fleet and get a bulb. I than noticed that I was pulled over right in front of a full service gas station. I have always taken my vehicles to the dealership for service and never thought twice of having work done at this small garage.

A gentleman walked up to me and asked if I needed any help as he also saw the Police officer pull me over. His shirt had his name sewn into it and his name was Ed. I told him my break light was out and I had to get a new bulb. He said pull it into my garage and I will do it for you.

As I was driving my car into his garage I said to myself how much will this cost me? The owner installed the needed bulb and I said how much do I owe you? He said nothing, I get these bulbs for almost nothing, just glad I was able to help you out. I offered him $10.00 and he refused.

We started talking and I told him that I appreciated his kindness especially in this day and age. I asked what can I do for you? He said if you are ever in the neighborhood and need gas he'd appreciate if I would stop for a fill up once in awhile. I told him no problem, and then said let me also make an appointment for some service work.

I now have an appointment with him next week and I said to myself one good deed earned this man a new customer. I can't tell you how nice it felt having someone do something nice once in awhile. I plan to repay him by getting my weekly gas for two cars at his gas station, as well as having both cars serviced in the future. The cost of a new customer was a brake light bulb and some kindness. Other companies might learn something by treating people the right way. Who knows they just might get themselves a new customer.

Steve Balistreri

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Steve, Good for you. I'll bet that guy will treat you fair on the service job too. There are good people out there.

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Great Steve! That is the kind of story we like to hear. There are good people in this world, it just seems we hear more about the bad.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Allen

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

S.S. Had a very similar experience 50 years ago, that station owner had my business until I moved years later. Glad to see--hear--read that those kind of people are still around. Ross

5. senior smoke

I told my wife what happened and she was surprised to hear that the owner did not charge me. I received a bottle of Jack Daniels for a Christmas present recently. I only drink beer so my wife said when you take our car in for service give it to him.

I decided to called him later in the day and asked if he drank Jack Daniels? He responded he loved John Daniels. I said Jack Daniels. He said you may know him as Jack but Jack and I have been friends for years and I call John.

I laughed and he said he once saw a movie called Scent of a woman with Al Pacino, and that was a line the actor used in the movie about Jack Daniels when he ordered the drink.
    Steve

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Back in my college days, a friend worked at a K-Mart auto service center. An old man wearing threadbare clothes came in one day with his beater car. It was making a squealing sound. The power steering fluid was low. My friend had a partially full can left over from another customer, so he topped it off and didn't charge him. The old man thanked him and said he'd be back when he needed an oil change or tires. K-Mart security reported my friend and he was fired that night.

7. senior smoke

Brian:
    After reading that story I am glad I dealt with the owner.
    Steve

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

At the gun shop where I work a couple of days a week, if a fellow brings in a gun that can be fixed in a few minutes, such as an 1100 needing a barrel seal, or a neglected firearm just needing a little love, we often do not charge to repair.

Needless to say, this has gotten us a lot of customers. Several nearby gun shops bring in guns they took in trade with issues. If we can, we do a quick fix while they wait, and, don't charge them either.

Several of our "competing" dealers send us customers.

Customer Service still lives.

9. senior smoke

Shooting Coach:
    I wish you guys were in my area.
    Steve

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

That was nice of the guy Steve, and I'm sure you will reward him with your business

But I can relate to Brian's friend, one time when I first got into the HVAC business, I was working in Des Moines, I got a service call from the dispatcher, I went to the house and it was an older lady, after I checked the furnace it had a bad blower motor, she told me she didn't have the money to fix it, and didn't know what to do, I told her I was sorry but the boss told me I had to collect, she said she could pay the minimum call, I think it was $8

Well I went to truck and was writing out the invoice, and I got to feeling sorry for her, I had a motor that had been in the truck quite a while, it could have been sold as new but just a little scuffed up, so i told her I would put it in, just don't tell anybody, or I would get canned

About a week later she called in raising all sorts of hell that I had put in a new motor for her and it wasn't working, they sent the service manager out on the call I figured I was history, but she had a bad themocouple

I dodged that bullet, but my goodwill went out the door for quite some time, but after time I started doing freebies again, but this time on my own

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Steve, enver discount a small independent auto service provider, They have every bit as much knowledge as the "dealers" in many cases and don't charge at the same high labor rate. You found an hosnet service facility and I know you;ll make good use of their service.

12. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Steve, there are two special guys in that story. The one that gave and the one that REALLY appreciated it and returned the kind act of giving.

Glad to know you my friend!

milt

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

The wife and I went on vacation to Niagra Falls a couple of years ago. My Tahoe had developed a very slight leak at the transfer case just before we left, and with no time to fix it, I filled it up, and away we went.

Had a good time, and just before we left Niagra Falls, I found a small garage, and asked him to check the fluid level for me.

He was busy, and if he wanted, I was at his mercy, but he pulled one car out, moved mine in and raised it up, checked the fluid, which was still full, and would not take a dime.

I gave him $20.00, and asked him to have a nice lunch on me.

Nice man, and I wish him the best.

Danny

14. senior smoke

My father had a saying when I was a child "one hand washes the other". He taught me once I give my word or shake someone's hand on a deal never break it, as people will never think the same of you.

The owner of this service station did a very nice thing for me. I believe in returning the favor. I had to fill up yesterday before school started and Ed was there at 7am already working on a car. I stoped and said hello and reaffirmed my appointment for Friday for an oil change and new battery.

Ed seemed very appreciative and so was I.
    Steve

15. senior smoke

Danny:
    That's what I like to here.
    Steve

16. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

I have a person who does appliance repair.(washer, dryer, et.) My dishwasher stopped working and he came out. He looked at the very complicated circuit board and said it looks like one of the relays wasn't soldered properly, or it just melted the solder over time. He checked on a new circuit board, and it was $220.00. But, he wanted to try soldering the relay. He did, and the dishwasher works fine. When I asked what do I owe you, he said, just pay me what you feel it's worth. I took good care of him and know he appreciated the money, as much as I appreciated his honesty. I give everyone I know his phone number.
    Pat

17. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Great story Steve. Just like the commericials that run on tv about "kindness pass it on". Yes Virginia, there are good people around.

blade819

18. senior smoke

Pat:
    Some companies never advertise, all they go on is word of mouth. Good story.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.