1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KIM RHODE @ Winchester Store

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

At 65 years of age I confess that there aren't many things that impress or excite me (no jokes). This morning I had a chance to meet Kim Rhode and wear her Gold Medals for a picture. Not only is she a great shot, she is an impressive and congenial young Lady. Her parents and her nation should be very proud of her and I cannot wait unitl she shoots in Rio in the 2016 Olympics.

blade819

2. C-Money

C-Money Member

That is an awesome picture! Congrats on meeting a great representative of America!

3. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

I AGREE Blade, AMERICA should be PROUD OF this NICE LADY!!!!!!! yep mostly CAPS Joe joe90t

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Wow. Lots of medals there.

Is it true she shoots 500 to 1000 targets a day for practice?

5. blade819

That's what I understand.

blade819

6. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Thanks Kim Rhode, Proud of You and Proud to be an American. You gave US your all!

7. blade819

She's going to remain an Amatuer I guess so she can shoot RIO in 2016.

blade819

8. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Blade Id be smiling as well ! Good to hear nice things about young people there are some good ones !

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

There is no longer an amateur requirement to compete in the Olympics. More than half of the participants would be considered professional athletes.

10. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Blade;

Why do those medals look so small on you? (just kidding)

Steve Nunley

Albuquerque, NM

11. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

She's just waiting for the Handicap on Sunday.... Win it and the shoot off.

Disclaimer: I am making this up.

Chad

12. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

You lose respect for Kim? Really? She has been to the Olympics for days on end, hours on ariplanes, and you disrespect her for not shooting the doubles today? Again, really? You do know that there is a world of difference in what they shoot and ATA targets right? I'd say give her a break and let her have some down time if she wants it. I certinly think she deserves it. John

13. CROY1990

CROY1990 Active Member

Well said John. Sportshot sounds like an idiot. This young lady has done nothing but represent the USA and shooting in the most positive way.

14. blade819

The medals look small because I 1) had the camerman stand further? or 2)I just ate a big bowl of Peach Ice Cream/Coobler and it bloated me up? or 3)The I Phone tends to make gold look smaller? or all 3?

blade819

15. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

She is mentally wore out. You have no idea the toll a competition like that takes on you, plus all the sponsor obligations and commitments that she has to do.

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

Back when the Grand was in Vandalia, I remember seeing Lance Bade and somebody else shooting in some events.

Don't remember them winning any, though.

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: I lose respect

Some people just don't have any class. Is there no postings on this forum that can't stay positive?

By the way, her home town is having a day for her on Sunday.

18. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Blade;

Looking at the picture again I'm now sure the camera was too far away:)

However, the peach ice cream and cobbler sounds pretty good to me too. I'm planning to go to the Grand next year. If you're there I'll buy!

Steve Nunley
    Albuquerque, NM

19. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Sportshot ok come on you know why the reason ok if not then ok if she was to win an event at the Amuatuear Trapshooting Event then a lot that had a chance in winning would complain that she is a pro since she won gold for the U.S.A.

Ok I know olimpic and regular trap is different but if you win then a lot of bitchn is going to happen.

Ok glad she wanted to kep the bitchind down.

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Olympic champion visits the Grand

BY LES WINKELER, The Southern

SPARTA — Fans flocked to the Winchester building at Sparta’s World Shooting and Recreational Complex on Friday to meet five-time Olympic medalist Kim Rhode. Rhode captured the gold medal in skeet at the London games in late July.

“I’m just here for people to see the medals and experience that,” Rhode said. “Coming back from London, after being there for about a month, I’m a little bit jet-lagged. Putting on a shooting exhibition probably wouldn’t be a good combination right now.”

The only American ever to medal in an individual event in five consecutive Olympics, Rhode competed in the Atlanta, Sydney, Athens and Beijing games. She won her first medal — gold in double trap — at the 1996 Atlanta games. She was just 16 at the time.

She followed that with bronze in the 2000 Sydney games and gold in the 2004 Athens games. Rhode claimed the silver medal in skeet in the 2008 Beijing games. This year she broke 99 targets to earn the gold in skeet at London.

Although she had her gold medal in tow, the accomplishment still hasn’t set in.

“I always say the Olympics hit you when you get home,” Rhode said. “When you’re at the Olympics, you’re surrounded by so many phenomenal athletes from around the world and you’re just like everyone else. It doesn’t really hit you until you get home because then you’re around normal people that are really so proud of what you represent.

“Then, it really sinks in, ‘Wow, this was really something special.’ I think in a month or so when things really settle down that I’ll take a minute to kind of think back and relive the moment.”

There have been some anxious moments between the Beijing games and her appearance in London.

Rhode’s gun was stolen from her car a couple of years ago. Although the gun was eventually returned, she has been using a gun donated to her by an anonymous fan.

“I won that medal with that gun at the London games,” Rhode said. “I think that was really cool.”

There was also a cancer scare.

“One thing I think with each Olympics is the journey, the journey is always different with each Olympics,” Rhode said.

Because her competition was scheduled on the first day of the games, she wasn’t able to participate in the opening ceremonies this year.

“The opening ceremonies are really where it hits you, ‘I’m here to do this, I’m representing my country,’” Rhode said. “It’s pretty much that moment you’ve been waiting for.”

While missing that moment was disappointing, a trip to the top of the podium made it all worthwhile.

“The best way I can describe it is that every emotion hits you at once,” Rhode said. “You want to run, scream and cry, and you just don’t know which one to do first.

“It’s incredible. I think that’s when the journey hits you. It seems like you’re up there for 30 minutes, but it’s literally minutes. Time does stand still.”

Although she has never competed at the Grand, Rhode said the visit felt like the right thing to do.

“It’s an amazing shoot, a lot of fans, friends and family,” she said. “It just made sense. We put together an event with Winchester. We’re out here just showing support and giving back, letting everyone touch the medals and be a part of the Olympics.

“It’s kind of fresh in everyone’s mind. We’re just kind of sharing that experience with everyone.”

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.