1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kim Rhode or Today's Professional Players?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I read an article last night by Kim Rhode (five time Olympic medalist). I was also watching the Chicago White Sox perform poorly against Detroit. Grooooan. Kim's article appears on page 43 of the October 2012 issue of ShotgunSports.

Here's a simple statement that caught my attention. Kim writes, "As I walked off station 5, I had an eight-target lead with only seven targets left to shoot". Regardless of what she did form that point on, she was the gold medal inner. She did what she had to do to keep it all together and finish that round with a straight 25. Yes, she toughed it out and destroyed all of the remaining birds even though she didn't have to do it to win.

Compare that style with what we see these days on the professional fields of play. A batter pops up and strolls towards first KNOWING that he's going to be out. Hasn't he ever seen someone drop a ball or blow a throw? How about the football STAR tackle who stands from teh line, sees the play going dead and not take a step toward the action?

Is this a difference between professional and amateur? Could it reflect a difference between single athletes and members of a team? In the end it could just be that some people care to do the best they can and others just want to get by.

Whatever the underlying cause, I am becoming more dismayed by this kind of attitude, especially when I've paid to see professional athletes perform. It sure isn't cheap to drive to a ballpark, park, walk a few blocks, get searched, pay a fortune for a hot dog and a beer, and sit on hard seats, just to see overpaid actors trot around like they have it coming. I remember football players who played O and D and pitchers that played the entire game. Today a pitcher is resting after tossing a whopping 100 balls and the big guys on the gridiron move in and out so they can get a whiff of oxygen, a drink, and maybe a massage. Then they charge fans for an autograph. Kim Rhode gives away autographs and even let's some people wear her medals for a picture with her.

I guess I'm just an old idealist. I want more of Kim Rhode and far less of professional, televised sports.

Quityurbichin Larry

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I don't follow any professional sports, but I can say that ALL of them are MUCH more physically demanding and and physically dangerous than clay target shooting. When is the last time you've heard of a clay target shooter needing to undergo major surgery because of an injury caused by shooting? Professional athletes do it all the time, either because of a one time injury (common in football) or a degenerative injury (common for pitchers). To say that professional athletes aren't playing with as much heart because they don't put themselves in harms way when there is no reason to is nowhere near an apples to apples comparison to clay target shooting.

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ask some recent catchers and baserunners that question....still many Pete Roses and Ray Foss's still playing.

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I really like my shotguns, very much enjoy shooting, but Trap, to me, isn't even close to being a "sport". Now,if we were timed from station to station, had to walk/run between traps and had to carry all our gear it might be a bit closer, but waddling out from your golf cart and shooting a few rounds then waddling back to the food tent is not "sport". It's a leisure pastime that, as far as physical prowess goes, ranks right up there with bird watching.

5. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

You can compare the specifics of the sport all you want. Which one is tougher, where are you more likely to get injured etc. But you know what, Kim has class, some of the higher paid "professional" athletes don't. It's just that simple.

Mark Zauhar

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would like to see the ethnicity report of the lackadaisical players.

HM

7. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

per the Marquis De Portago: There are only three sports, Motor Racing, Mountain Climbing, and Bull Fighting, all the rest are mere aversions.

8. KGUN

KGUN TS Member

With all due respect, "overpaid actors" are you serious. Their is a very small percentage of people in the world that can perform on that level. That's what makes it so great, not just anyone can do it. I would say the major difference between the atheletes now vs than is that level of competition is higher. Today's atheletes are bigger, stronger, and faster. The game takes a bigger toll on a person's body.
    Angelo

9. MilCon

MilCon Member

You know if we worked out every day and got in shape we could go out there and wouldn not have to waddle, would not have to ride in a cart from station to station unless "we" had a problem with our hips or knees. We might be able to shoot 400 rounds without a back brace, we might even be able to shoot a 500-1000 practice round on a Sat or Sunday.
    Mabe just improve our concentration to the point where we would have 5 teams of 5 in shoot offs, heck even 75% of the trapshooting population on the 27 yard line.
    Then we would have something to bitch about in making a 30 or 32 yard line or have to go to a 20, 28 or 410 gage gun instead of a 12 ga gun to get it more fair due to all of the "Big Shots " out there taking all of the money.

Not a sport, so any trap is not a sport?, Himmm

We make this passion we call ATA trap what we want to out of it.

Ken.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

One would also think that Kim Rhode would not want to do anything differently than she always likely does: Break all targets that she calls for. Why complicate matters with a change even if she has won.

Stick and ball, team, and dangerous sports are likely different; pick your battles and energy expenditures wisely to prevail in the end. And, perhaps, highly paid pro athletes may be coached when and when not to take even minor physical risks?? Also, in baseball, "pounding" the losing team is considered bad form and really "not smart"; don't rile up your opponent, don't provide another muse if one wishes to prevail. I have even read (article by a major league catcher) that a pitcher and catcher will "work" an opposing team with strategy over a series; might even "gift" an opposing player with a hit at a non-critical point to lesson that particular player's hunger for a hit, a hit that could come at a crucial juncture. (What did Yogi Berra say, "50% of this is half mental." or something like that...)

In clay target sports, it is, actually, an individual expression...just you and the target, not you and your team against another team also trying to make forced errors.

11. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I gave up years ago trying to understand what is and is not a sport. In my racing days it was "drivers just sit there and steer, they aren't athletes." Try to get that when driving in 100 degree heat with a 3 ply firesuit on. Same for shooting I guess, it's 105 out and sweat is pouring off you and you're trying to concentrate on target 99. It's mental and physical. Can't compare this to football anymore than you can compare swimming to gymnastics. Both require mental discipline and a certain set of physical skills. One thing is certain, champions hone their skills to a high level through hours of practice, determination and yes, money. Athletes that earn our respect also honor the game, whether its finishing the 25 or running out the play at 1st base.

HJH

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Some people think conducting business is a sport because the ultimate goal is to win in the business arena. Just like any sport, business takes brians, talent, quick mental reflexes and large amounts of deep thinking consuming huge amounts of energy.

Just because you're not running, jumping, banging off each other doesn't mean your chosen pursuit is not a sport. If you don't think an athlete resides beneath Leo's soft exterior, you're sadly mistaken. You try as Kim has done daily lifting your gun and shooting it five hundred plus times and then tell me she's not an athlete.

Critical thinking is the key to achieving the highest levels in any sport and is the most overlooked and under valued component to the path of winning.

Surfer

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

"Subject: Kim Rhode or Today's Professional Players?
    Email:
    Date: Thu, Sep 13, 2012 - 04:25 PM ET
    Website Address:

per the Marquis De Portago: There are only three sports, Motor Racing, Mountain Climbing, and Bull Fighting, all the rest are mere aversions."

Now that just crazy - I remember reading that in R&T(?) about a zillion years ago. Prolly been at least a year since I thought of Fon Portago - kinda along w/ the Rodriguez brothers and the what if ..........

but on topic - Like was said above ++1 - the dif is Class and Kim has it

14. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

Ask Kim sometime about all the injuries she has sustained over the years and the movements she can't make as a result of shooting. Degenerative skeletal injuries etc. as a result of underdevelopement when younger and so on. She has paid a price physically.

Chuck

15. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

"aversions"?? Something lost in the translation there.....

16. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

I think that "diversions" would be more likely. But the thought is what counts, eh???

17. Goliad

Goliad TS Member

Roger that.

And a big plus 1 to Kim being a class act!

18. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Kim is a great shooter and a great tribute to Trap shooting but a being class act doesn't make her an athlete.

19. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I think what the poster is saying is he would like to see a little more joy out of the pro athletes.Maybe more appreciation for getting paid millions to play kids games.I am a huge pro sports fan and I can understand that.Why do you think Tebow is so popular.It aint because he is a great QB.It is because people like seeing good people succeed.

Darr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.