1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kids trap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9point3, Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

We all agree that we need kids to shoot trap, I am wondering how many kids were shooting when trap shooting was in its glory years(when ever that was)

I am also wondering how many adult shooters during the glory years shot trap as kids.

How long have we (the ATA and others) have been offering reduced rates and other special programs for kids?

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Nobody on here was alive when trap was truly in its glory years.

-Gary

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

every old trap photo i've seen has NO kids in it! i grew up in rural america , where every lil town had a trap club-- meat shoots-poultry shoots-turkey shoots were a big draw in the mid '60s-- clubs had leagues and i never heard much about registered shoots--but with that said--i dont remember that many youth in any amount, shooting ,even back then!! we went cuz dad liked to visit w/ customers. my pheasant hunting buddy and i thot we cud beat those old guys (who were probably in their 40s or 50s)--not one time do i recall getting in a shootoff w/ another kid!!!!-- nor did i worry about other kids shooting in league and getting my scores talked about in school!

4. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I was a junior shooter in Western Pa during the late 60's to early 70s. I was fortunate to be named to All America teams in that time period. There was a total of about 45 different kids named to the Junior first,second and sub-junior teams in that time frame. I can only think of about 10 kids that continue to shoot out of those All Americans. Several have unfortunately made the Completed Careers pages in Trap & Field, several have been named to All American Teams and several are now in the Hall of Fame. (Jimmy Heller and Little Leo, who was actually a little guy when he was about 13-14.

Once Dad stops paying and beer, girls and cars enter the equation, many move on to other things. I was fortunate enough to get into the firearms and ammunition industry and have been able to continue to shoot a bit but not anything near what I did as a kid.

The PA and Ohio shoots always had lots of kids as did the Grand. The SCTP and AIM programs are great in they expose many kids tot he shooting sports, who are not brought into them, because their parents are shooters. I expect many will cease to shoot when they are paying for it themselves but I think the goal of the NSSF when they started the SCTP was to make these kids very "pro-Gun" when it came time to vote.

I remember that Florida had an incredible amount of youth shooters. One of the old Trap and Fields had the Florida Junior All Americans on the cover one year. Bobby Jacobsen, Rusty Hilton, Mike SCarborough and Chino Zacchini were all formidable. To my knowledge none really shoot at all anymore.

Bob Gibson
    Charlotte, NC

5. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

What were kids shooting back in the 60's and 70's?

I see plenty of kids today shooting the best stuff available.

I admit that I root against the kid shooting a K-gun and throwin Fed Papers on the ground with daddy/mommy whiping his butt

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

What were kids shooting in the 60's and 70's. Heck, that was easy. 870's and Model 12's ruled for the better ones as most parents couldn't afford much more. The rest had Hi-Standards, JC Higgins, Marlin O/U's, Charles Daly's and an occasional Belgium Browning (about the same price as a new Model 12 then). Let's not forget 1100's in the 70's!!

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I think we have done a great job of getting kids involved! Look at the un-arguable growth in youth shooting programs. We need to stay the course IMO but the real rub here is RETENTION.

How do you get a youth shooter to shoot as an adult? If you survey and look at how many shooters from youth picked it back up again in adult life the numbers are staggering low. WHY?

8. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Back when I started out as a youngster in the early 70's I do not recall any of the Jr's or Sub Jr's who did not have a parent or Grandparent that shot. Both of my parents and Grandfather shot, and they dragged me along even before I was old enough to take part.

I see so many of these AIM/SCTP shooters with parents that are not shooters and really wonder how many kids will stay with the game. Having someone with experience to talk over the day of shooting back home, the mistakes made and how to fix them for next time is how you get good in this sport.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I went from the NRA small bore program to trapshooting when I was eleven or twelve. Neither parent were shooters but they weren't anti gun. I had my first .22 an '01 Winchester single shot when I was seven years old, my grandfather found it rusting away in a garage and cleaned it up for me.

Somewhere along the line someone gave my mother an ear full telling her I should be shooting on a range and not out in the fields. All of sudden I found myself a gun club and NRA member on my own dime, my parents didn't pay for anything other than a few gifts, birthdays and Christmas which was the norm for my generation, so if I wanted something, I earned it just like all my pals.

I worked as a loader puller as a way to pay for my membership, range and target fees, but shooting paper became very stale and I dropped small bore in favor of trapshooting and was fully jazzed until the cost of participation hit me like a ton of bricks. There's a huge difference between the cost of .22 ammo, paper targets and shotshells and a round of trap.

Making the decision to shoot clay targets effectively took me out of the gun club setting for the next 22 years, when I did return it was as a pot shooter, not an ATA member. ATA didn't come until years later.

My story is repeatable across the country. The only difference between now and yesteryear are Mom and Dad's are paying the frieght and some will continue doing so because modern day parents don't know when to cut the cord and they will do anything to keep the child a child, a control issue perhaps? But the fact remains, a greater percentage of youth shooters will fade away at some point most never returning to the trapline. The biggest thing that's changed trapshooting from years past, there's so many distractions drawing everyone not just kids away from shooting on to other things, which all cost money by the way.

What's happened to trapshooting is not unlike other things that aren't here anymore, people just moved on. I liken it to the horse and buggy era . There was a time when the horse and buggy touched everyone and everything, then Henry Ford came along redirecting everyone except a few away from the horse and buggy. Like the horse and buggy there will always be trapshooters just like there's people living in the past playing with horse and buggies but neither is a growth persuit.

Surfer

10. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I think it's important to get kids interested at an early age, but we have to be prepared to lose them for a time.

Once higher education, girls (or boys) and other distractions set in, it's hard to keep them. Establishing a home, a family and buying a house place a pretty severe strain on any young family's budget.

We can only hope that as time passes and they become better established that they will come back to the sport.

I shot as a teenager, but it wasn't until I retired at age 55 that I got back into shooting.......and I'm glad I did.

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Good post surfer!

I agree with your horse and buggy analogy however, we seem to have a un-arguable amount of positive momentum in our youth shooting, and it seems we NEED to capitalize on this as they mature to adult life. As you stated things change Henry Ford changed them. We can sit here with our heads in the sand or try to change with the times.

IMO, we lose shooters right after high school. They move on to be poor college kids and cant afford it then to corporate world to work and raise a family as the fun of shooting fades away never to really be presented to them again.

We need to be more proactive with business's getting into trap shooting sports. Like a golf courses business model. They concentrate on corporate events way more than us. Once you can get this then you will get the trickle down of shooters that find there way back again....So HOW do we do this? well this is JMO so flame away guys but...

I dont think trap shooting is enough draw for corporate events anymore unless you have die hard CEO's or company leaders bringing them as its a personal passion.
    Clubs will have to offer a venue of shooting sports ie, Sporting clays, skeet, 5 stand, rifle range AND a "golf course style club house" to entertain these corporate events. This will allow you to draw back in shooters that are now out in the work force. I believe the "elite" clubs and there are a FEW have done this. They are expensive and they are PRIVATE.

I dont like the "private" clubs nor do I offer anyway to make a solution like this work. I just believe that is the direction it would have to go to get off the horse and into the next generation.

12. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

I was shooting 4-H trap in the late 60's and early 70's we did't have the time (chores to do)or money to shoot alot if we were lucky 25 a week. It took till my son was born before I thought about getting back to it. Now he shoots and that has gotten me back into it. Without him I would have never got back into the sport. I would say on the average if they come back it will not be until around 38-43. But with the support as juniors they can fall in love with the game and some will make it back when life allows.

13. yetinme

yetinme TS Member

I am one of those parents I guess because I do pay for my 10 year old to participate in trap. He doesn't shoot a K-Gun or throw Federal papers on the ground. I was fortunate enough to have parents that stressed the importance of getting an education as a means to getting a career and not a job. This education has allowed me to treat my 10 year old to some rounds of trap. The bill is paid with one contingency.... He does well in school as that is his job. If he doesn't want to do well in school then the bills are not a problem as he will not get to do fun stuff anyway. He does do side jobs and makes a few bucks here and there. He takes that money and saves it for college. I read this line of posts on here once and awhile and they are tiring as most cranky responses lean more towards jealousy and have a "I didn't have it so why should they?" attitude. Would it really be better to go back to when the trap ranges were full of men and get rid of the children? Why stop there? Why not include the women too? Just my thoughts... Oh yeah, my son is shooting the parent child league with his mom tonight. I may try to talk them out of this activity and have him focus on playing video games instead of spending quality time with his mom. BTW, neither had fired a shotgun 3 years ago and they love it but this is apparently not the type of people the "club" needs or wants.

Back to my cave....

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't know about the 'glory years' but when I grew up in the 60's and 70's, I didn't have the means to do anything as costly as trap shooting - nor did any of my friends. But to echo Russ25, we were shooting. Mostly it was .22 rifles and every now and then a box of shotgun shells could be liberated. I'm sure there were a few kids involved in trap shooting back then but I never knew any of them.

Today's 'youth trap' programs are great and I wish I could have gotten into something like that. But really we are not seeing any continuation with the sport after these kids get through high school. That is probably just a harsh reality that trap really does cost a bunch of money. In fact we don't really have any active shooters that are in their 20's and only a couple that are in their 30's. Mostly it is middle age guys that finally have the means to shoot as much as they would have liked to when they were younger.

15. iroc

iroc TS Member

shot some trap with my uncles at a local trap range in the late 60's to early 70's.i was 10-13 yrs old.there were a good 1/2 dozen of us shooting and the old guys back then were really supportive. i shot a sears roebuck single shot 12 ga. with no recoil pad and let me tell you it kicked like a mule. what i don't remember back then is too many people wearing eye and ear protection. maybe thats why my most spoken phrase today is " what did you say"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
fun games for youth trap shooting

kids and trap shooting

kids trap

kids trap guns

kids trap shooting

trap shooting for kids

trapshooting for kids

westside trap leaguetrap shooting age for kids