1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kids and registered shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrb, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrb

jrb Member

I am curious on how gun clubs out there are handling the influx of kids to registered shooting. Locally around the St. Louis area there are a vast amount of kids and families that show up early on sundays to shoot registered. I am all for them shooting--I love the participation in our great sport. It's just they are taking over the places and the first so many squads of registered singles. Example: pre-squading of the first 14-18 squads in singles.

I have noticed or heard about many shooters who are not going to gun clubs where the kids take up half or more of the spots.. or leaving after they get there without shooting. They are bypassing therefore we are losing more shooters on our registered days. A high majority of the kids dont shoot handicap or doubles and dont play any money on singles. The older shooters are not staying around to start shooting so late in the day. This included me yesterday!

Is there any way to balance this without discriminating against our future shooters? Gateway Gun Club does a pretty good job of balancing out everyone but they have the facility to handle the influx. It's much tougher on the smaller gun clubs around.

I am not against the kids shooting...I am happy for the popularity of the sport. I am just afraid we'll lose some good registered shooters.

Some have said having registered shoot( for singles) on Saturday might be good for the kids because the ones who dont play the money would shoot then and leave the ones who play money to shoot on Sundays.

any thoughts out there...How have other places handled this situation or is St. Louis unique in the high growth of youth shooters? I dont run a gun club just an average shooter who has been observing and listening.

J.R. Brock

2. jrb

jrb Member

By the way: I wish I had the opportunity to shoot like the kids have today when I was their age!! We shot local 10 birds, derbies and a little registered...there were usually only a couple kids.

I am happy for the shooting programs and clubs of today..that's not the issue.

J.R.

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Sounds like your club has a great situation. Doesn't sound realistic to me, but wish it was. How do the kids manage to grab all of the pre-squadding?, and yeah, I agree, I never heard of a small shoot that even has pre-squading.

If the older guys are going to shoot caps and doubles, why are they so concerned with shooting early? Makes no sense. If they just want to shoot singles and leave, which is what you say most of the kids do, they are no different than the kids, no harm there. I just don't follow you at all?

Seems most would be glad to have that many kids interested, but I find it hard to believe you have that many squads of kids, again, unless you are talking about a state level shoot.

4. jrb

jrb Member

Where are you from Gary? It may just be relative to the area. Missouri is a huge shooting state for adults and youths plus we bring illinois and missouri shooters together in St. Louis.

I'm trying to figure out a way to combine the 2 classes of shooters in a way everyone is somewhat happy. This is not about me...I could have stayed and shot..but decided to head to other shoot with some shooters who decided not to shoot registered there also. I'm relaying info i received about other times too not necessarily just related to the shoot yesterday.

J.R.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Every club I know would welcome that so called problem!!

6. jrb

jrb Member

we presquad around here at most local shoots....

maybe this issue is just a local problem. A good problem to have because we have so many new shooters.

7. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

You want the kids to shoot and make our sport grow, but you want to make the kids shoot on a different day? How fair is that? Why can't you presquad early and shoot earlier? Sounds like you want your cake and eat it to.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I could only wish it were a problem of the magnitude JR describes.

But what we do with the scholastic shooters is have them practice on monday and wednesday afternoons when the range is reserved just for them and also their championship state level shoot is separate from the regular state shoot. It works out better for the kids this way as they have an event that is all about them.

Beyond that, the kids are free to participate in whatever registered events that they want to but you really don't see that many of them at most of the events.

One of the biggest problems with trying to incorporate a bunch of scholastic shooters into a registered shoot is that the kids just don't move to and from the traphouses in a timely manner. The phrase 'hearding cats' comes to mind. I'm not saying that they are unwelcome by anymeans but it is just a fact that has to be realized in the planning stages of any shoot.

9. jrb

jrb Member

ollie...its a good problem for singles....but the shooters who shoot singles, doubles and handicap may not shoot.

Oh well...guess I'm trying to fix something that either doesnt need fixed or others dont understand the local area.

10. jrb

jrb Member

Wolfram..that's the info I was looking for. I agree with what you said.

11. jrb

jrb Member

I enjoy watching the kids grow and learn to shoot. I enjoy it when they win, its not about that. We have and have had some really good sub junior and junior shooters who became all americans and help Lindenwood become the great school it is. Unfortunately there are not that many that stay shooting.

I guess maybe we just have it too good in this area!!

12. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

JRB
    I help coach a youth team in the St. Louis area.I was at the shoot yesterday at St. Louis Skeet and Trap. I arrived at 7:45 am. We were not sure how many kids from our team were going to be there, so I could not pre-squad them. Squadding was to start at 8:30. I got in line at 8:15 and there were 10 or so people in front of me. I had 8 kids and we were squads 18 and 19. They did not start shooting until after 10:00. My kids did not start until 2:40. There was no reason that the first 2 or 3 squads couldn't have started at 9:00, just to get things moving a little quicker.

Gateway Claybusters has close to 60 kids, Gateway Gun Club Youth Shooters has 24 kids, Team Henges has at least 30 kids, Arnold Junior Shooters probably has 40. Those are the clubs in the immediate St. Louis area (Missouri side of river) Washington Missouri also has a youth team.

The AIM program (ATA youth) is the only youth shooting that requires registered targets. SCTP doesn't.AIM require 300 registered singles in order for the kids to shoot the State Tournament without penalty. They get another 200 at the state tounament which gives them the minimum 500 for the National tournament at Sparta.

Part of the problem is the gunclubs only have 1 registered shoot a month. They don't start until mid to late March and are usually done by the end of September or eary October with registered targets. Maybe if the two gun clubs ( St.Louis Skeet and Trap and gateway Gun Club)in the St. Louis area would have more than 1 registered shoot a month, they wouldn't be so crowded.

I had not planned on waiting over 6 hours to shoot yesterday either.

13. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

There were 21 squads of 16-yard singles shooters yesterday at that shoot. 90% were kids.

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

OK, I see what you are talking about. It's a bunch of AIM teams showing up, and it sounds like the clubs aren't really big enough to handle the turnout?

15. jrb

jrb Member

Bob

Thanks for the information---I don't think people outside of STL know about our great programs here. Thats why some shooters were thinking Saturdays would be a good day for many of the youth shooters---unfortunately I know it cost to have registered 2 days but if there is enough need maybe it will happen. Thanks for coaching the kids.

16. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Talk to the area clubs and encourage them (some or all) to have an "AIM Monthly Shoot."

That is what the AIM program would like. That's what is done in Utah, and other states.

Scott Hoover

ATA Delegate, Utah

17. jrb

jrb Member

It was STL trap and Skeets first registered shoot under new management---learning curve there too. I'm sure they will have a better plan for the next shoot.

18. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Good idea, Scott, thanks.

Actually, both clubs have 9 trap fields. Gateway uses as many as they need.

Yesterday at St.Louis Skeet and Trap, they started 1 quad on trap 4. Then moved to trap 3 and then 2 and then 1. 25 targets at each trap. I don't know why they didn't start more fields. I don't know if they were short scorers or trap help or what.

19. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

It's not as bad as it used to be around St. Louis, but there is still a little bit of "the good old boys " mentality, too.

As has been said before on this site, the kids don't care who they shoot with, they just want to shoot.

20. jrb

jrb Member

Scott--good idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.