1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kids and Clays

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ruck, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

AJ, all the programs were WAY late, that's why the shoot attendance was so low. The Trap, Sporting and Cowboy parts of the program were added on top of the Toni Rogers Skeet shoot as a fund raiser for Ronald Mc Donald House. Mailing the programs was handled by them, NOT the staff at the Complex. They were instructed when and how to mail them, and did not do it. The NSSA/NSCA management is as upset about it as the shooters.

Ken Rucker

2. blooch

blooch Member

There were not enough refs since the powers that be changed, lowered, what they agreed to pay the refs after they committed to come, so many of them stayed home. In skeet there were only four fields where there were 3 refs working two fields, everyone else pulled straight through without a break. This is not gossip as my wife was one of those who pulled all weekend without a break.

And for clarity, the Toni Rogers skeet shoot was added on top of kids and clays, not the other way around.

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

re: if/what to pay the referees

Top dollar

4. blooch

blooch Member

Problem is with that line of thinking that you are overlooking the fact that the Toni Rogers is the 3rd or 4th largest skeet shoot put on, and shooters pay premium prices to shoot it, unlike way more than 2/3 of the shoots out there. Refs should be a top priority.

5. blooch

blooch Member

I do not know who's decision it was to begin with, but the refs did not show because they were not being offered what had been normal in the past year or so. Some of the SA area refs who normally ref skeet took a slight pay cut to ref sporting clays and then just go home, leaving the out of town refs the short end of the deal. Some chose not to come. Don Snyder even announced that he could get all the refs he wanted for $50 a day to the ref pulling his skeet targets. Wonder why he didn't? Good thing he did not do that one field over, he would have gotten to self ref.

I think all in all it was a great idea and hope it goes off better next year. I do wonder if the skeet shoot will be in it though.

As usual, part of the vendors who have permanent stores showed up, only only a few who bring trailors. I guess it was too early in the year.

6. pn

pn TS Member

In addition to all the above, the shoot program was about as poor as they come. Very basic info at best.

The whole thing shows very little interest on the part of "Kids & Clays". No effort to obtain deals on "local" lodging or sell adds in the local area (a hand in hand thing usually).

I don't see the logic of tying a good skeet shoot to a "charity benifit group" that has no interest in participating in any manner other than recieving the monies. If the group is viable, they would generate local committee members to assist building the program.

I say dump the dog or give them .01 per target off the top, claim the chairity shoot status and tell them to stay out of the way.

7. blooch

blooch Member

Maybe some don't know.......so for clarity. Paid Refs in TX at least work at least one night of shootoffs. Generally, the head ref lets the one's further from home work Saturday night so they can get home earlier as most have regular jobs. In some ways it is fair, some it is not, but they generally are agreeable to it and it is not set in stone so trading can work out most glitches in people's schedules.

My wife ref'd for 10 years straight and was one of those Texas refs everyone loved to have. She agrees that when talking about 3 refs on 2 fields, the current base, as described to her prior to getting her to ref again, of $120 plus a room, is fair starting place.

Don was just getting a ref who was iron manning and unsure of what he was going to be paid off his back.

8. blooch

blooch Member

Hey Ron, where was Richard Kaysa new permanent shop?

9. blooch

blooch Member

Hey Ron.......Went to RK's place Monday, dropped off my kid's 32 and met Norbert and Rich. Gun will be ready today or tomorrow morning.......Norbert and Rick really impressed us. Glad to find someone to work on K guns since our old gunsmith retired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.