1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kidney Stones--Prevention

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DENNISMASTROLIA1, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Some time back a post was written regarding what to drink daily for the prevention of kidney stones.I cannot remember what it was--If some one knows the reply is greatly appreciated.I do not and have not had any "stone" issues but two of my friends have recently encountered them and the picture is not a pretty one. Thanks-Dennis. 781-910-0313.

2. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

My 10 year old had them and our neighbor had one. Our family doctor told us to filter our well water and/or drink bottled water.

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I would put my money on beer.

4. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Drink lots of water and cranberrie juice was what my urologist(sp) told me after I pasted mine. 2 gallon's of water a day is the recommended amount he told me, EVEN in the winter months!

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont know how they could ever have a control group for long enough to determine what would prevent a kidney stone

I think its all conjecture

Gene

6. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Liquids, water, beer. My doctor suggested beer. When I asked why, he said "did you ever hear nof someone drinking a six pack of 7 Up? A doctor friend of mine said that if you are not peeing clear, you are not drinking enough water. I believe that I will now have a beer to defeat the kidney stones.

Mike

7. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

timberfaller,

<i>"EVEN in the winter months!"</i>

I was taught in cold weather training (Fort McCoy, WI) that you actually lose more body water in cold weather than in hot weather. Drink up! :)

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

8. C1

C1 Member

The Juice of one lemon per day. Do it any way you want, straight, Lemonade. Do not drink Cranberry juice it's really bad for you although it's good for bladder infection. Stay away from tea, iced and hot and peanuts. Beer is actually very good for you as it's a diuretic but lots and lots of water is better than anything.

5 stones later

Gary

9. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

C1 has it correct........ but instead of lemon I use lime.

I have had kidney stones several times over the past 25 times- not once have they found any medical reason. I have noticed that if I quit drinking water with lime for any length of time, I will get a kidney stone.

Cranberry juice is not for prevention of kidney stones, but rather to create an acidic condition in the bladder to combat infection.

JMHO

Jim C

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cut a Beet in half, place a kidney sone on it, the kidney stone will disolve. An old wife's tale states that eating Beets will prevent kidney stones. I got this from my mother (passed on). She always gave us a few sliced pieces of Beets on our salads. I guess it works, I've never had any kidney stones, nor has any in my family. And I still eat a few bits and pieces of Beets with my greens, a lot of the time.

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

`I think there is something with the beets. I know an aunt of mine who has been gone for 30 years always said to ward off kidney stones with beets and she canned them about three different ways and ate them year round. The kidney stones must be genetic also. I know in my family we have never had anyone with kidney stones. In my brother-in-laws family they have had them from way back too now. Who know's, but keep yourself hydrated and eat beets a couple times a week. Dan

12. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Avoid cranberry juice. It is high in oxalic acid. One common nutrient with which oxalic acid combines is calcium, making the salt calcium oxalate, and calcium oxalate is found in kidney stones.

pg

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

PG: Grapefruit is another great producer stone making acid.

14. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I used to sprinkle wheat bran(lots)on my cereal, drink tea, and eat lots of nuts. After a few stones, I stopped doing that. So far so good. I believe it was Google that had a list of things that caused stones.

Booger

15. Cal Taylor

Cal Taylor Member

If you drink water it has to be demineralized, distilled or reverse osmosis, this will dissolve the stone before it becomes one. Drinking lots of water with minerals is like putting raw water into old car batteries deposits build up!

16. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Cal, you are kidding, right? If not, there are not enough minerals in even hard water to do that. My kidneys are very different from an old battery. Drink any kind of water, even the kind Cal is selling!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Assuming you are talking about uric acid stones - then you are looking for potassium citrate.

The other common stone is calcium based - just cut back on the calcium.

Oxalic acid stones are much less common - see above for the things to avoid for this type of stone.

The uric acid stones form owing to a 'glitch' in how the human kidney filters uric acid - so these tend to be the most common, and the hardest to prevent. No matter what you do your body is always near a precipitation level for uric acid.

Calcium and oxalic acid stones tend to form from an over indulgence in certain foods containing the offending compound. ID and avoid is your best bet here.

18. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Thank-you all for the reply.-Beets and lemon/lime H2O.

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Someone years ago who had a few episodes of stones was told by his doctor that eating too much cheese will cause them ? Only person in my family who had them was my grandfather and he had to have them surgically removed . He kept them in a jar in his bedroom . I would have hated to pass those buggers , as I remember they were the size of grapes --- ouch !!! Could they have been Gall stones ???

20. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

ohhhhhhhhhhh the memories! like a saw blade going threw a straw! Drink water drink beer the more you pee the more you flush. Can consult a uraligist(pee doc) oh I only wish them on my worst enemy Forget death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.