1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KickEez Pad / Beretta 391 - Prefit or Sand to Fit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by yonkerss, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yonkerss

yonkerss TS Member

Looking for a pad for a 391 RL trap / monte carlo stock.

I have read most people prefer the kick eez to the beretta gel-tek. Have any of you guys used any of the Prefit Kick Eez pads on your 391s? How was the fit?

Would prefer not to deal with a sand to fit pad as I do not have a drum sander to aid in the fitting process and this is part of why the gel-tek pad is being considered as well.

Any input would be great!

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

yonker

I don't think there are any pre-fit pads available for the target stocked Beretta 391s. The ones I have found are all for the synthetic stocked versions. Check the KickEez site, but I could not find anything on pre-fit for the wooden stocks. That said, I use and really like the KickEez pads. I have them on all my target guns (Beretta 687 Combo, Beretta 391, and Remington 3200) as I think they are the most comfortable of all pads. In fact, I have two for each gun-a 3/4 inch for winter shooting (with heavy clothes) and a 1 inch pad for summer shooting when less clothing is worn.

Jim R

3. autogun

autogun Member

Yonker,
    I have used a prefit Kickeez on a 391 sporting,but not a parallel comb. it was pretty close, within a 1/16, but not like a gunsmith's fit. How much length are you looking for. I may still have one; I know I have some that were fitted then the gun went down the road.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Kick-eez does have a prefit pad for the 391 target stock. It fits pretty well.
    It is aobut 1 1/4" thick. You probably have to get it direct from the company. Retailers don't stock them because they don't want the hassle if someone's pad doesn't fit perfectly. Limbsaver makes one, too, and Hi-Viz makes the prefit
    X-Coil pad, which I am currently using.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It doesn't cost that much for a gunsmith to grind any pad you want to fit.

I bought a cheap belt sander($39) from Harbor Freight. I have done several pads myself and they turned out very nice. It takes just a little practice and i used an old pad for that. When i get it to the finished stage i buff the ground sides with WD-40. Now i have the belt sander for other projects and that sucker is very useful. Just a thought anyway.....

Matt

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The problem with the grind-to-fit pads is that the holes don't line up and you have to drill new holes in the stock.
    You can get the HiViz X-coil pad online at their website. It's an excellent fit - the holes match and it even has the little extended portion that fits the slots in the Beretta stock.

7. Go Fish

Go Fish Member

From an article by Joe Ljutic --
    Last and most important for a doubles stock is to leave the recoil pad FULL SIZE as LARGE as POSSIBLE in length (top to bottom). A full size large pad can reduce felt recoil tremendously.

Could use this advice for any shotgun. An old time shooter once asked me "Do you want to look good, or do you want to shoot good?" If the oversize pad helps reduce recoil why not go with it.

Ed Fish

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

dickgtax,put it on the gun,then mark,then grind. Dip pad in water to keep the pad cool when grinding.

GoFish,that's a great idea,kids love it..........GOOD LUCK

9. yonkerss

yonkerss TS Member

I am looking for 3/4-1" in thickness for the pad. I have heard great things about the kick eez pads but would prefer a real nice fit. I will have to do some measuring on the stock and see what I can come up with from the factory.

This will be going on a 2001 RL Parallel target stock. This is a gun I am getting ready for my wife to start shooting so if there is a better pad (less felt recoil) recommendation I am am open to that. From what I have ready though it seems like most like the Kick Eez.

With the grind to fit pads, roughly how much needs to be ground off to make a good fit? It is like a 1/4" all the way around - more or less?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 kickeez recoil

beretta 391 recoil pad

gel pad 391 beretta
kick eez for beretta 391
kick eez pads for beretta
kick eez vs stock beretta recoil pad
recoil but pad for beretta 391
which kick eez for my 391