1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

++++++Kick up question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

.........I would like to shoot more "heads up". If I move my butt pad down say 3 to 3!/2 inches from to top of the rib the gun will kick up--more for top single less for an unsingle. Does this have any effect on the shot pattern line? Has the shot left the barrel before it starts upward movement? I know it makes it difficult to see the target break. .Is the kick up a big negative?...SMOKIT

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Smokit,

The more knowledgeable shooters on this web-page can help you
    with a " Pitch Spacer "

You also can try putting washers between the top screw and the butt plate
    as a temporary measure, to see if this will help ?

You should be able to find what works best, there is a lot of
    trial & error at times.

3. SMOKEIT

.........HWY13......I know about the effect of pitch. When the barrel is this far above your shoulder it is going to kick up regardless of pitch angle. SMOKIT

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have considerable pitch on my trap guns and the top and bottom of my recoil pad meets the shoulder pocket at the same time. I can drop the recoil pad about 3/4 inch without kickup but any more than that makes it uncomfortable to shoot. If I had a very high rib unsingle like an MX-2005 I could probably shoot with the head up gun mount but I don't know if I would like that high of a rib and get a possible visual disconnect to the target.

5. SMOKEIT

No one is really addressing my question..I know there are some very knowledgeable Trap shooters out there...Let me have your opinions...Thanks..Smokit

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think it would, but you could sure test it with a session at the patterning board.

I do know my 5½" Ruger .44 will print my favorite slow load higher than the same bullet driven faster, and I think it's from the fact the faster bullet is out of the barrel before recoil raises the gun.

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

You'll probably have to shoot it because you would be changing more than one thing. By lowering the butt you have in effect lengthened the pull (because your neck is straighter) and because your head is rotated more upright likely raised the distance from comb to eye. You might need more offset too.

Everything is related, so go a little at a time.

Rollin Oswald has a book on stock fitting; do a search. Regards, GAP

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The shot is well out of the barrel before any meaningful upward muzzle movement takes place. So if there's a change on the patterning board, which there might be, it's from something else.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.