1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

++++++KICK EEZ OR LIMBSAVER +++++

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I did an unscientific mini-comparison test of recoil pads last summer with some friends of mine. I obtained twelve new recoil pads from seven manufacturers that we switched around on our guns while shooting some informal practice. Perhaps it will not come as a surprise that there was no clear-cut winner but a slight majority rated the Gooey first in felt recoil reduction with the Kick-Eez Rocker and the Limbsaver tied for a very close second. When wear and life expectancy was added to the equation, the Gooey dropped to last, so that told me that the added recoil reduction was too slight to make it worth the trade-off. Some testers preferred smooth-faced pads, some liked a tractor-tread face while the concave or convex shapes caused even more diversity in the voting.

I use Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks which come with Pachmayr Decelerator pads on many of my rifles and kind of expected that pad to do well but it didn't in spite of feeling every bit as soft as the Kick-Eez. If you haven't looked at a Decelerator in 15 or so years (which was the case with me prior to buying my first B&C stock), they've changed a lot! I wonder how much the Kick-Eez name came into play with the voters' thinking.

Overall, the opinions of the testers were along the lines of all of the pads being very close to the same unless shape or face type struck a nerve either way with a tester.

Ed

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Ed:

Did you include a gun with the Hi-Viz X-coil pad on it? I use them on my hunting guns and they really reduced the felt recoil. Hunted Canada during a spring Conservation hunt for snow geese with high bird limits and cool (not cold) weather. Wore a light shirt and jacket many afternoons over a seven day period. Hi-Viz pad made shooting 3" and 3.5" shells pleasurable out of a Benelli.

3. AveragEd

Yes we did.

We did the test two ways. First, we rotated the pads between the shooters' guns so they could possibly get a greater sense of change. Later, as our wrists tired of turning screws, we rotated the pads on my gun and everybody used it as a test mule.

None of the five shooters expressed a definitive preference for any one pad and some of their opinions surprised even them. For example, I've always preferred convex pads and have Kick-Eez Rockers on my trap guns but the flat Limbsaver really felt good to me.

Basically, the only pads that some testers did not like were the really concave ones and the ones with tractor-tread faces. Otherwise, the consensus of opinion was that they were fairly equal and none of them was markedly better or really bad.

Ed

4. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

As a related question, do Kick-Eez (and any of the other brands) harden over time? It may be my imagination, but one of my older Kick-Eez pads SEEMS less resilient than it did initially. Is there a “Life Expectancy” for the materials used? I plan to have it replaced when I see Todd Nelson this fall, and at that time I'll take a baseline Durometer reading of the new one for comparison later.

By the way, my preference is still the Kick-Eez.

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Another factor to consider is which pad is easier to "work" on a grinder for fitting to a stock. I have used the Gooyey Pad, Decelerator, Kickeeze, and Limbsaver pads and prefer the Kickeeze for ease of fitting to gun, reduction of recoil, and mounting consistency. Obviously, this is a personal preference. Fred

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

It also can make a difference on which gun and for who. I fell in love with the Kick-Eez Rocker for my single barrel trap gun but found that pad on the O/U to be clumsy. I ended up with a Kick-Eez on both guns but the O/U is best with a straight or flat pad and the single barrel with the rocker. I'm relatively sure the difference has to do with pitch but haven't taken the time to see the difference in the guns. Also, the O/U is used for trap doubles but also Skeet, 5 stand, and Sporting and that could relate too....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Long lasting is an important consideration for me because of the labor charge for someone with the right tools and Know-how to grind the pad to fit. This is why I favor Kickeez over the Gooey pad.

8. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

On my hunting rifles and shotguns I strictly use the Limbsaver after having done some comparison testing. I did try one on my BT99 but prefer a concave pad to set my gun up the same every time or so my brain thinks so. Limbsaver also has a new pad out which they claim has even more felt recoil reduction and is trimmed back at the top for faster mounting when shooting game. I've got one but havn't put it on anything yet. Most of the guys and gals at our club are now having Limbsaver's put on their guns.
    Dan

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

The only pad I will put on any of my guns is a KICK-EEZ. Nuff said. Break-em all. Jeff

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Pick up a Remington catalog and look at the recoil reduction provided
    by their new pad. It's made by Limb-Saver. I've always used Kick-Ezz pads
    on my trap guns but I put a Limb-Saver on my Krieghoff and I believe
    it's superior to Kick-Ezz.

11. AveragEd

Jack, your idea might be worth a try. Remember the old Seehass (I know I'm butchering the man's name) pads? They had slots across their body and you could slide rubber "filler strips" into the slots to tune the firmness just how you liked it.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjustable recoil pad comparison
kick eez vs limb saver

kick eez vs limbsaver

kickeez vs limbsaver

libmsaver trapshooters
limbsaver recoil pads vs kick-eez

recoil pad comparison test

recoil pad tests