1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kick Eez Installation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

I am getting ready to fit my first Kick Eez pad and was wondering if everyone buys an installation jig or just sands them free hand?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Jig..for sure.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I free hand/hold them against my DeWalt belt sander and use the old pad as a guide fo rthe angle.

4. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I also freehand against my belt sander. I have the sander mounted securely so
    that the belt is vertical. That way I can work the stock against the belt with both hands. I wrap the stock with two layers of tape, the first a blue painters tape and the outer layer is a conventional tan masking tape. With the pad mounted to the stock I can carefully grind away the pad material until close to the outer layer of tape. VERY CAREFULLY continue grinding until just touching the tan tape with the belt. You are now only two layers of tape from grinding into the wood. VEERRY CAREFULLY continue grinding until you just begin to see the blue tape. You are now less than .0010" from the wood and the pad/wood match will be so close most will say PERFECT. I remove the pad and fine tune the fit by hand with a block and sandpaper. I use a #100 grit belt for the grinding. Keep the pad moving with light pressure or you could burn/melt the rubber pad material. Forget about lube on the pad. Total job should take no more than 30 minutes. Tedious but I enjoy doing it. Marc

<a href="http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj271/mbunk/?action=view&current=TM-1STOCKwBB.jpg" target="_blank"> TM-1STOCKwBB.jpg </a>

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I am with Marc. Only change is I use 80 grit belt to do Kick EEz pads. Don't grind too much in one spot or you will melt the pad! Periodically blow the pad off with compressed air. This helps to cool the pad.

Marc, nice tip about the two different colors of tape. I have always used two layers of the same tape. I stop when I hit the first layer.

I did make a jig for my belt sander stand that consists of two vertical surfaces on either side of the belt. These surfaces are adjustable for distance above/below the belt surface. This gives me something to rest the taped portion of the stock against.

Jim Skeel

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Here is the simple guide fixture I built to rest the stock against. Be sure to mount the sander on a low table so that you can stand over it and easily view the relationship between the belt and the stock as you grind.

Jim Skeel

skeeljc_2008_03033.jpg

skeeljc_2008_03034.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030314.jpg

skeeljc_2008_030328.jpg

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Put the pad in your freezer over-nite. It grinds more easily and
    resists tearing when cold.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Use the jig. Your kidding yourself if you don't. Especially if you're doing someone else's gun. Scribe the pad with a shape awl, and use the jig. Then polish it down with some fine paper and polishing compound.

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I use a jig with my Belt/Disc sander. Add the shop vac to the sander and you don't have a mess to clean up.
    When done polish the pad it will look like it came with the gun.

10. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I ordered the jig from Midway and I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Just bought a beautiful BT-99 from Art's Gun Shop and would hate to mess it up.

Thanks Again,

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kickeez install