1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Key features you look for in a shotgun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by krieghoffkrusher, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I thought it might be interesting to define what each of us as individuals look for in a shotgun. we all gave a very good time on here "debating" who's gun is better but the question is why do you feel your gun is better? Is it all in the name? Is it the public perception that one is better than the other but in reality it's not? Is it specific features that are only available on your gun?

2. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Balance, fit, and the very subjective "pointability".

I personally like and buy higher end guns- Kgun, Pgun, Seitz, etc.- but if it doesn't meet the aforementioned items its not the gun for me. That being said, the one gun that I absolutely love to shoot and was a perfect match of those 3 for me is a Browning XS Sporting that I own. It cost a fraction of a higher end gun and shoots like a dream. Just proves that good things can and do come in lesser expensive packages.

JMHO

Jim C

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Overall in hands balance is #1 for me. Fit can always be adjusted.

Eric

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Funny thing to me is I have never had a gun failure and believe me I've had a bunch. Not the Hi dollars one though. My favorite dove gun used to be a Mossberg pump although I had guns that cost four times as much. I had a Stoeger and Franchi O/U's that I put over 10,000 rounds through with nary a problem. All I worry about anymore is how they feel when I mount them. I recently shot a borrowed gun Beretta 680 series that had a 3/4 inch shorter stock than what I was used to and ended up with a severely bruised cheek(looked like someone had hit me with a fist). This is one of the reasons I highly suggest trying a gun before buying it. As far as quality, looking good does not mean better. A basic Beretta has the same insides as a high grade. Why spend the extra for the looks as I can buy another gun with the savings. Jackie B

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Fit and reliability. I only buy top of the line in everything and always look for high resale value. That being the case, I am never disappointed, but I pay extra to not to be disappointed. I figure a trap gun is a lifetime investment, so I may as well pay extra and get exactly what I need. A gun that shoots where you point it, fits well, and is reliable doesn't necessarily have to cost much. Lots of guns out there. Takes time to figure out what is right for you. Good to always have a back up. JMHO

6. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

I thought it might be interesting to define what each of us as individuals look for in a shotgun. we all gave a very good time on here "debating" who's gun is better but the question is why do you feel your gun is better? Is it all in the name? Is it the public perception that one is better than the other but in reality it's not? Is it specific features that are only available on your gun?

7. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Balance, fit, and the very subjective "pointability".

I personally like and buy higher end guns- Kgun, Pgun, Seitz, etc.- but if it doesn't meet the aforementioned items its not the gun for me. That being said, the one gun that I absolutely love to shoot and was a perfect match of those 3 for me is a Browning XS Sporting that I own. It cost a fraction of a higher end gun and shoots like a dream. Just proves that good things can and do come in lesser expensive packages.

JMHO

Jim C

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Overall in hands balance is #1 for me. Fit can always be adjusted.

Eric

9. Shooting Jack

Funny thing to me is I have never had a gun failure and believe me I've had a bunch. Not the Hi dollars one though. My favorite dove gun used to be a Mossberg pump although I had guns that cost four times as much. I had a Stoeger and Franchi O/U's that I put over 10,000 rounds through with nary a problem. All I worry about anymore is how they feel when I mount them. I recently shot a borrowed gun Beretta 680 series that had a 3/4 inch shorter stock than what I was used to and ended up with a severely bruised cheek(looked like someone had hit me with a fist). This is one of the reasons I highly suggest trying a gun before buying it. As far as quality, looking good does not mean better. A basic Beretta has the same insides as a high grade. Why spend the extra for the looks as I can buy another gun with the savings. Jackie B

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Fit and reliability. I only buy top of the line in everything and always look for high resale value. That being the case, I am never disappointed, but I pay extra to not to be disappointed. I figure a trap gun is a lifetime investment, so I may as well pay extra and get exactly what I need. A gun that shoots where you point it, fits well, and is reliable doesn't necessarily have to cost much. Lots of guns out there. Takes time to figure out what is right for you. Good to always have a back up. JMHO

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

lots of Adjustability to allow me to tweak and tune...the

browning Plus guns are all I'll ever need

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Adjustable rib, adjustable comb and hi-grade wood. I can't shoot an ugly gun.

13. Shooting Jack

Hi Rick,

I've had guns with side plates and engraving to the yazoo but they didn't shoot any better. I did look good missing though. LOL I do have upgraded wood on my 680 series and get a lot of comments about it but I bought(stole) the gun used for $900.00 along with case and a set of Briley Titanium extended chokes. The fellow was from Hot Lanta and was having to pay for his kids college and a car and was selling 8 guns.(they were legit) The one I wished I had gotten was a 687EE with grade 4 wood. I got him down to $2600.00 from $3400.00 but told him from the start I would give him $2400.00 but he wouldn't take it. I think he finally sold it for $2500.00 to one of the shooters at Forsyth Ga. Jackie B.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My favorite guns are generally nice looking, but nothing terribly fancy. I have a BT Pigeon (Grade 2), but think my 90T is also a handsome gun. My Auto 5, Light 12 and Superposed BroadWay are both Grade 1s, but they are all fixed rib/comb, non-adjustable guns. I want them uncut and unmolested - although I did put Briley "thinwalls" in the BroadWay.

Give me solid actions, no "case" queens... I'll learn to shoot them.

Jay

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I want one that breaks targets for me. I can make all of them look pretty with a Precision Fit Stock.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.