1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kevin @ downrange opinion please

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is about WAD pressure, Had this argument. I sold a old versamec. Hes been complaining about his crimps rising after sitting a bit when done reloading. At first I had noticed that he was not loading What I had set this loader up for.1oz shot, Rem hulls ,DR TGT12 clones ,Clays powder, CCI 209s. When asked What he was loading. AAs Claybusters and 18, clays. I asked How much shot, answer was what ever bar is throwing. Now this is where it get to the argument. Gent steps in and says HOW MUCH WAD PREASURE, gotta have at least 30lbs!!! Now even my directions from my 650 1985 vintage says. With today's wad design only need to seat the wad slightly on powder? I would think with today's modern WAD design that if wad pressure was a absolute wouldn't it be in the reloading data? So Kevin and you guys with the tools to test this stuff. Will or does wad pressure have a critical part in a reload? On my 650 the pressure gauge just moves a tad. My crimps are fine. no issues. PS Kevin, any info on local dealers in massachusetts stocking your wads. I have since run out of my first batch. The shipping kind of kills me on the wads. Our supplier only has Factory and claybusters. Thank you

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

maclellan1911,

With all wads today including Downrange, you do not need wad pressure. I was using 30 pounds of wad pressure with the XL-1 (neon green) Downrange wad. It crushed it, and the wad doesn't rebound. I took the wad pressure to 0, and it works perfect. I am a Downrange dealer, so please give me a call or email. I might be @ a shoot near you or could see if I can ship cheaper.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises
    (270) 804-5454

3. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Darn it MAC,

I thought this thread wanted opinions ABOUT Kevin at Downrange Wads! He is a pretty nice guy for being so tall. IMHO

I have a number of Versamecs that I have been refurbishing when I can get them before MAC bids them all up. Like Matt said, the Versamecs (properly adjusted) require almost no pressure for a TGT12 wad. I loaded some this weekend that crimped so pretty, I almost hated to shoot them. I am using Kevin's new Federal wad for Doubles in Fed hulls and they work nice. I agree with Mike on my favorite wad for Pondo is the Red Versalite. I have been working to hard and not shooting enough. Hope to change that soon. Don't tell Kevin I am still in Omaha.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I presently set the drop tube so that when the press is seating the wad, the hull can be turned by hand with effort. This means the wad is seated on the powder, eliminating air space, but the wad is not being crushed.

Works for me!

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The guy with the loader was a easy fix, told him to load what the loader was set up for, will see next time. Its the gent who said we were not useing enough preasure and I said per order of instructions from loader. Very little preasure needed.

6. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Larry: The neon green is a 1 ounce, the blue one you have is 1 1/8 ounce. Roger

7. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Larry: I have loaded the blue Downrange AA12 replacements and they are fine, Roger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.