1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kern County Gun Club Trap Future

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dan Hoffman, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Dan Hoffman

Dan Hoffman TS Member

I know over the past few months there have been some rumors about the Kern County Gun Club not having any more registered trap shoots. Unfortunately the rumors may be true. I have been in a few discussions with some of the KCGC Board Members about this situation without success. About a year and a half ago at a general club meeting the trap shooting members of KCGC were told the current Board was not interested in entertaining any more trap shoots. Their reason was there wasn't enough profit in registered trap shoots and it looked like they had lost money on a November shoot. A few of the trap shooting members at KCGC came back with a proposal to the club that they agreed to. We basically guaranteed the club they would not lose any money and we would do all of the work during trap shoots without their involvement. We also guaranteed the club would make a profit. This has been done successfully. Since March of 2013 I have been trying to convince the club management to take over the running of the trap shoots with out any success. Currently I am not able to make a commitment to Kern that would allow the trap program to continue. At this time I am unable to find anyone willing to take on this challange so I have canceled all future scheduled trap shoots. I would like to thank everyone at Kern that has helped to put on the past trap shoots. Thank you to everyone that attended Kern and helped us out with scoring, loading or helping out in any way needed. I am still hopeful that in the future we will be able to continue holding registered trap shoots.

Dan Hoffman

2. Bigbaby

Bigbaby Member

Yeap. Everyone wants to shoot but no one wants to help. Down goes another great place to shoot cause of politics.

3. Bigbaby

Bigbaby Member

Seems like the only thing that matters is sporting clays since thats all the board members want to put forth all the effort to. And it's easier to make money.

4. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Just like Church - 10% doing 90% of the work.

FRedmon

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You can't blame people for not wanting to spend their Sundays running a shoot that 12 shooters show up for. I help running our shoots and we have plenty of help from our large membership because they are fulfilling their required club duty. What we can't control is getting participation.

6. Bigbaby

Bigbaby Member

So what you are trying to say DICK is this club is the only one that has no participation. And yet every other club in a 100 mile radius has many large number shoots. I wonder why that is......... Could it be related to the Now board members that only care about what interest them. And the rest of what the club has to offer can just kiss off. I wonder............

7. Brent Washer

Brent Washer Member

Just wanted to say thank you to: Dan and Linda Hoffman, Lonnie, Jimmie, Bob and the many others who made shooting Fun at Kern. I have only been shooting for two years and made the 4 1/2 -5 hour drive to Kern several times. I have made some really good friends in Bakersfield because of the Kern County Trap Club ATA Shoots. I will, and look forward to driving down to Kern for Registered shoots again, if they start up again. Thank You so much for all that you have done for us trap shooters.

Brent Washer

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Re: that only care about what interest them

Blame it on trap shooters who belong to the club who don't want to put the time in to work shoots more then once or twice a year (if that).

DAN WROTE: "At this time I am unable to find anyone willing to take on this challenge"

If trap shooters stopped being board members and officers of the club, and/or CHOOSE to not work shoots, that's not the board members fault.

Why should a board members who's primary interest is sporting clays or skeet, assist at more then one or two trap shoots a year (lets not forget Xmas Shoots, Turkey Shoots and on and on that they normally get involved in), when his own discipline is holding monthly shoots or league shooting?

Look around at the clubs you shoot at. I'm aware of several clubs who are only one heart attack away from not having either registered trap or registered skeet, as no one is waiting in the wings to replace them.

9. Bigbaby

Bigbaby Member

Hey Joe . Understand what you read before you chime in. Especially where it says the current board members have no interest in trap shoots anymore. Because.......... Why...........