1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kern County Gun Club opinion poll

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BOBL, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

I am conducting this poll on my own and I am not acting as the KCGC. My question is, why has the attendance at our ATA events declined so badly.
    We only had 33 shooters on Sat. and 27 on sunday. Is there somthing we
    should know. Is someone bad mouthing us? Is it our facility our road,etc.?
    Please help us with your opinions we need to know. Opinions and facts
    will be appreciated
    Thank You, Bob L. Wood

2. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Bob: NHSC had the Winter Chain the same weekend. We usually draw from the same shooting population. In listening to the ATA shooters out in this area, gas prices has had a major effect on how far people will drive. Good question. We need to plan better so that we don't compete with one another. Fred

3. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I agree with both Fred and Bob on there points. I shoot most shoots at Kern County but not all. For me it is the lack of keeping the program moving. The shoots never seem to start on time and then take forever. The last two shoots I went to there, I shot Sunday only. Both times was just singles and caps with only about 15 - 20 squads but it took all damn day. It was suppose to start at 9 but didn't really start until closer to 10. Then the lunch break takes forever. To shoot just two events with small squads took 7 hours. One of them I was in a shoot off and it took over an hour to start the shoot off from when the last squad was finished. Who wants to sit around all day waiting to shoot. Other clubs have more shooters, shoot singles, caps, and doubles in less time and less waiting. Everybody who is part of the club is always friendly and appreciative that you came but it just seems like there is all ways tension there. Other clubs just seem to flow better and everyone seems happier to be there. Maybe they are easier to approach and talk to. Maybe not. Since I live close it would be nice to see more activity to at the club. No leagues no advertisement no nothing. I drive every Tuesday night to Tehachapi to shoot league. I am a member of the Tehachapi club where membership is 50 bucks a year and a round of practice is 3 bucks whether you are a member or not. 8 bucks at Kern County seems really steep. I would rather drive and pay for the gas then pay the high practice rounds rates. Plus I get to shoot in a league and be active in the club. I would be willing to help at Kern County if they acted like they wanted help but they never ask or act like they want help. Sorry for the long post but you asked for my opinion. Thanks for the chance to vent . Dwayne Harwell

4. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

My 3 Cents worth,,,mine was money, lack of. I have attended clubs where they shot through lunch, makes the day shorter. I live an hour from you and two other large So. clubs (90miles), of the 3 your # 2. My lsck of shooting money.

Norman

5. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

Thank you guys for your inputs, I will pass them on and hope we can improve.
    Bob L. Wood

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Bob: Maybe our two clubs can get together for a "HOME AND HOME" shoot. I miss you guys. Fred

7. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

Fred, I will pass on your suggestion to those who can make changes. I am
    afraid that the lack of interest expressed on this thread speaks volumes.
    Bob L. Wood

8. undersluice

undersluice Member

I shot the WC chain two years back (drove all the way up from San Diego) and have similar experience as posted above. The people at the GC tried their best to accomodate shooters and make them welcome.

But I got a feel that the GC was not prepared to host the WC shoot effectively. There was general lack of efficiency there. There was some other sporting clays shoot being held, it was not very clear where the sign up/cashering for the ATA event was. The shoot didn't start on time. It was not clear who is in-charge, trying to keep the shoot moving and on-schedule. Scorers/loaders were not pre-assigned, we waited for quite some time to find a scorer for our squad. Took quite some time to bring-in all the scores and decide the shoot-offs .....etc. Cost is an issue too , but since I just went there for the WC, not an immediate factor to me, but GC's need to do more to remain cost-competitive.

I see a general trend here, which is basicaly "shoot-management" issues. I am sure the GC has the skill and expertise in-house and just need to plan for a shoot and execute to the plan. There are some GC's that do very well as far as shoot management is concerned. My favorite in the SoCal area is Redlands. Shoots pretty much work like clock-work. Issues, if encountered are addressed promptly. I would encourage Kern County GC to share learnings from RSP.

Good luck !

Thanks,
    JB

9. plaw

plaw Active Member

I shoot @ a small club,we use to run 14 to 16 sgds. and now can only muster about 3 sqds.and maybe one for doubles. I do not know the answer ,gas prices, older shooters. shell prices, entry fees? now that is starting to be a big one ,I cannot believe these state shoot prices.

10. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

I was at a sporting clays shoot in San Diego county on Sunday that had 150+ shooters. They had 30 squads and had the last squad out at 11:00. There are no ATA shoots in California that has that kind of a turnout except Kingsburg for the state shoot. This is a monthly fun shoot at the Lemon Grove range in Alpine Cal.

Clyde

11. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Bob,

I think you also have some problems with those that undermine what you guys try and do at every turn. Look at the past members who no longer support you because they aren't helping.

Plaw,

State shoot prices 28 then 31 now 34. What do we look forward to for next year. Prices probably should have been 35 or 36. Guess we will see if target price increase effects participation.

James Hammond

12. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

James, what do you mean "Should Have Been?" Are you saying that they (prices) are not high enought?

Norman

13. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

James, what do you mean "Should Have Been?" Are you saying that they (prices) are not high enought?

Norman

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

There is an entire thread about the state shoot and the negotiations. Give that a read before this one gets too far away from Kern Co.

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

James, are you even going to shoot the state shoot? If not there is no reason to air your laundry on this thread.

Bob, I enjoy shooting at Kern. I try to shoot at every event when possible. I too am at a quandary why the attendance is so low.

However, when I heard that camping prices are going from $15 to $35 I only have to think to myself, why? At those prices I would rather save money on gas and not haul my trailer and stay in the hotel just up the Freeway on I5.

16. cnjranch

cnjranch Member

Calkid

Chill out a little. Responded to two parts. One was a statement from Plaw. Did not know you were the trapshooting police. Give it a rest. How is dinner coming anyway?

I give it to Kern that at least they have power and water and could probably get a price of $35. Is it just a rumor or is it a fact?

17. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

Thanks again to all of you for your inputs. Yes our club BOD raised the camping
    to $25/ night for our last shoot where we had only one camper. The week prior
    to our trap shoot was a skeet shoot, they had 18 campers. The BOD learned
    that it costs about $1/hr. to power an RV AC so now the summer rates will be
    $35/ night. You can however stay in our overflow (no water or pwr) free.
    Like the rest of you I am upset about the state of the state shoot. I know
    that a lot of good people with good intentions worked hard for us, it's too
    bad the results of their efforts have divided us so badly.

18. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Have you ever thought of throwing some non registered shoots? Maybe a fund raiser type shoot? Your sporting clays coarse is booming with fund raiser type of events. Why can' t your trap range do the same thing. Redlands is having some non register shoots with good turn outs. Kingsburg has a league that they have to limit the number of squads because so many people sign up.Maybe another iron man shoot with trap sheet and 5 stand thrown all together. Maybe it would draw from the sporting and sheet crowd. What happened to the pot shoots? There is still a pretty big group that travels around shooting the games. Nobody at Kern County wants to promote anything. Kern County just wants to say we are having a ATA shoot and hopes everyone will show up. Your sporting clay fund raisers are promoted with all types of fliers around town at every gun shop and every place of business. the trap shooting is not promoted. Most of your sporting clays crowd are people who just want to shoot for fun for the day and not worry about shooting registered targets. The whole ATA idea scares the new or average shooter. That is where the leagues come in. To give the new shooter a chance to learn and gain some experience before being thrown to the wolves of the ATA. You have to get the younger working class people to come out and try it. The ones that have talent will then step up to shoot on the bigger level of the ATA.

19. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

When I was in california for several years I along with several other KGC members would go down and shot some of the ATA events there and had a good time. We did it for fun and to help the club out, as many shooters from there came to our shoots at KGC.

The facility was laid out nice and the people there were fairly friendly.

I particularly was fond of the GAS burn off stack in the distance that periodically would burn off a big guiser of gas right when you said pull a lot of times. It was in perfect alignment to the height of the targets.

As seen above the shoots normally started late and went long, but, we got it done. Always seemed to be a lot of confusion and never really figued out who was in charge of what, except for squading, Mrs White is the best.

If Mrs White is reading this, hello from Shazam.

I did not like the coin operated trap practice, I have yet to get 25 targets out of a token, mostly 22 or 23. The speakers are so sensitive that closing your gun sets them off a lot of the time.

20. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

I agree with 391. Mrs White is the best!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.