1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kern County Gun Club---Future ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BOBL, Jul 16, 2013.

1. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

Registered ATA targets at the KCGC are over until further notice. I have no official
    capacity to make this announcement but I felt our shooters have the right to know. I am very sorry and I hope that something positive can come as a result
    of this message.
    Bob L. Wood

2. Leftysmokum

Leftysmokum Member

Thanks Bob-- I understand your concern and in time I hope The club will rethink this and once again shoot ATA---see you at the club Jim

3. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

TTT

4. In plain view

In plain view Member

Bob: Any chance of getting an update as to what is going on at the club? Your comments have left many of us dangling in the air. JMHO. Bob

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Focus on sporting clays?

7. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

Thank you for your interest in our club problems. Keep in mind that these posts are only my opinions, I hold no office at our club. We have grown too
    big to operate on a volunteer basis. With four employees our overhead costs
    have priced us out of the competition with the going fees at other clubs. For
    those not familiar with our club I will tell you about us. We have 9 trap
    fields, 11 skeet fields, and 20 sporting clays fields. That adds up to 71
    machines to keep full of targets and maintained. We also have more than 150 acres of grounds to maintain. I will not get into what
    we would need to charge as that is private info that only our BOD should
    divulge. I hope I have not over stepped the boundaries of our BOD. Some
    of you may post just how much you would be willing to pay. Thanks again for
    interest.
    Bob L. Wood
    P.S. Skeet shooters pay $55/100 registered targets (just info).

8. In plain view

In plain view Member

BOBL: As a trapshooter the numbers 9, 11 and 20 tells it all. KCGC is another range where sporting clays and skeet have pretty well distroyed trapshooting. Made many a trip from Los Angeles to the old facility that was once the best place in the world to shoot. It's my fault that I havent been to your range in along time but I refrain from supporting any range that I feel is anti trapshooter. Hope you can pull it all together as I would like to make a run up to your facility and give it a go. JMHO. Bob in Los Angeles

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE; sporting clays and skeet have pretty well distroyed trapshooting

And, how does come about?

10. In plain view

In plain view Member

Mr. Potosky: What I was trying to point out and evidently I didnt do a very good job is the fact that the KCGC has now 20 sporting clays fields to 9 for trap. It is my belief that when KCGC opened this faciliry few years back it was almost exclusively trap. It appears on the surface the BOD's of KCGC bolstered thier interest in sporting clays along with skeet and basically put trapshooting on the back burner even to the point now that ATA shoots have been stricken from the calender. I'm not knocking sporting clays or skeet but it appears to me that trapshooting, especially at the ATA level, is in a death spiral due to lack of interest. The heavy "interest" today is in the sporting clays and skeet fields. It's my understanding the "money" is in these two entities and not trapshooting. Profts have to be made regardless the venue. Support for all 3 is esentual or there wont be any place to shoot. JMO. Bob

elFred51 thanked this.
  11. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

Thanks again for all of your inputs I am sorry but I don't feel qualified
    to answer the points listed. There is one thing that I thought deserved
    a comment and that is the fact that Skeet shooters are willing to pay
    $55/100 registered targets and we complain at $30/100 plus daily fees.
    The Sporting clays events at our club are
    sponsored by organizations to raise funds for them selves and the shooters
    pay $100/100 non registered targets. If any of this information is of any use
    to anybody I don't know. Bob L. Wood

12. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

I have watched this thread and previous threads without making comment. I enjoyed shooting at the old facility and I helped on the new facility. I did the electrical design, produced the electrical plans, went down and helped on the wiring of the fields and the clubhouse all at no charge. There was an abundance of volunteer help, all trapshooters. Hopefully some balance can be restored at this facility.

13. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

Our club is in San Diego county and we regularly draw 150 plus shooters to our monthly sporting clays fun shoot at a cost of $20.00 per 50 birds. I see ATA shoots on SOCAL getting less than 50 shooters. I have been a trap shooter for nearly 50 years and have been witness to the decline in ATA participation. It is a sad but true fact. In fact San Diego does not have a club throwing ATA targets as the Marines shut down the Miramar range.

Clyde

14. JPM

JPM Member

I be willing to bet a whole dollar that the Kern County Gun Club doesn't have 20 sporting clays "fields" but rather they have two fields with 10 stations on each field. To say that there are 20 sporting clays fields is like saying that they have 45 trap fields and 88 skeet fields. JPM

15. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

more profit in sporting clays. end of story.

16. BOBL

BOBL TS Member

Vince, I remember you working back in 2003 to help create our club. I recall
    you had a young bird dog that ran away while you were working, and yes we were
    mostly all trap shooters. We have not forgotten what you did for us. Our current
    BOD were not around then and that is all I will say about that. JPM, you are right, 2 fields of 10 stations each, my mistake, sorry.

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Your customer and your botton line is what steers every enterprise regardless if it's a club or a business, no getting around this fact.

Surfer

18. jeffkcgc

jeffkcgc TS Member

This is an old post but i hope it will help answer some issues i have seen here i am the maintenance for the sporting clays field here at kcgc and which is now 13 stations of 2 machines and 7 stations of 4 machines on over 80 acres we still have 8 trap fields as 1 field of skeet/trap has been set up as a 5 stand consisting of 6 sporting clays machine's we do this all with 2 mechanics and the our great friend bob l woods (my personal hero) that said we have started our pot shooting back on a monthly schedule with small but dedicated turnouts the reason for this was to draw trap shooters and new blood volunteers in i hope in the very near future as i have already been promised funds from our current board in support ATA may very well be a reality again here but as i posted i have over 60 machines to care for daily and my dad (63years old) cant do it alone we will need help to breath life back into our trap program but i have no doubt it can be done and we will succeed thank you all for all you have done
    Jeff rouell
    KCGC MAINTENANCE

19. mrccubed

mrccubed TS Member

Jeff,
    This is excellent news, keep us posted. BTW, your hero (Bob L. Woods) is a class act.
    -c

jeffkcgc thanked this.
  20. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Sooo sad.....I have so many awesome memories from the old Kern County club, and some from the new club as well. Jerry

Steve12 thanked this.