1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

kentucky farm search

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gdbabin, Aug 3, 2013.

1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

the wife and I are going to Kentucky next week looking for a farm to retire to. will be in Central Kentucky mostly and just wondering if anybody out there might have a good lead for a nice farm looking for at least 30 acres....50 to 100 better. If somebody knows something give us a shout please

Guy B.

2. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Guy,
    Sent you pm. Rob

3. DONNE

DONNE Member

What's the matter Guy, had enough of the 3 stooges in Annapolis?
    Lets see, gas tax, sales tax, rain tax .....

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I never thought about retiring to a farm. What does something like that cost? Will you raise or grow something to sell? Have you any experience farming? Just wondering, for my own benefit.

5. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

You will most likely find that land prices in central Ky. will be most expensive in Fayette Co.(Lexington)and the counties that border (Woodford, Scott, Bourbon, Clark, Madison, Jessamine). Prices will decrease the further you are from Fayette. You should have plenty of choices. Anderson, Mercer, Boyle, Garrard, and Washington Counties would all be good choices.

6. skeetshooter

skeetshooter TS Member

Farm Land around Elizabethtown KY (Hardin County) is selling at $5500.00 per acre with no buildings. This is the latest average sales...

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Why Kentucky? Shot the Gamaliel Cup at Nashville this Spring. Entertainment, food, and some great gun clubs.

(Warmer winters too)

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

First, I do have some experience living in the country with horses, cows, hay, etc. Our thought pattern is to turn our paid for empty nest large home in the suburbs into a 50-100 acre farm. Willl dabble with a few stockers and rotational grazing, a small calf “operation”, pastured poltry, couple of bee hives, etc. The wife a veggie garden a couple of layers, and her crafts. Just enough to keep us active and off our butts. At 58.5 it’s time for me to get out from behind my desk and do some real work for a change. The beauty is, if I get tired I can chill out—no pressure!

Tennessee is also in the equation, but the high sales taxes worry me. Kentucky has a great balance of relitively low property taxes, moderate sales tax and great exemptions for military retiree pensions and other retirement income.

Instead of the Grand we’re exploring central KY from I64 south to TN and between I75 and I64, we leave Friday and can’t wait!

Guy & Boom-Boom

9. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Guy, I just turned 62, sold our house in Garrett co, building in Prince Edward co VA,close to Appomattox, much lower taxes,mild winters, no more FLUSH TAX. Va governor has some common sense.Plan to move 3-4 months.
    Carroll co KY is really nice country, have hunted there a few times.Joe

10. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I've been to Gamaliel, Ky. to buy shooting supplies, and I found the scenery beautiful.

Nice people, too.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Interesting state - just never developed a taste for the jellies they produce there...

12. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

coffee all over my keyboard

rof-lmao

13. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Guy, how did you make out, find your dream property? Joe

14. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Plus, if you live in Wayne or Clinton counties you are real close to Lake Cumberland and some great Striped bass fishing.

15. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Camped by lake Cumberland one time. Beautiful country but there are spiders as big as squirrels there. Come to Michigan, all we have are wolves and cougars. Bill

16. shadow

shadow Active Member

Look a bit more to the West. Our home is on Lake Barkley. We love it here. Lots of nice farmland around and some of it is for sale.

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

We leave this Friday. Have appointments to see properties from Lawrenceville all the way through the heart of Kentucky and down into south east Tennessee.

Thank you all who have provided suggestions and offers for help.

Shadow, Do you know a good realtor in the Princeton, Hopkinsville region anad any specifics on the farms for sale you mention? So far the farthest west I've contacted an agent is Glasgow.

Guy

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Careful what you wish for Guy - A coworker and good friend retired from his 'day job' a few years ago with the intention of working his small farm (which he already owned) and taking it easy. Turns out his retirement farming is alot more work than his day job was. But it seems to keep him young at heart and I don't think he is the kind of guy that could just take it easy anyway.

Good juck on the search - sounds like a nice area to live.

19. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Just go one state further south. Mid Tennessee has quite a bit of land for sale at real reasonable prices. People are real nice and climate isn't too bad. Real cheap living and property taxes are real cheap. I came down here 2 years ago from NJ and wouldn't think about going back.
    Chuck

20. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Since you are going to look down in southeast Tennessee you should check with a realtor in the Sequatchie Valley area. Main town is Dunlap, TN. Beautiful area with lots of farms. Just be aware that trapshooting facilities are sparse.