1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kentucky Derby's Eight Belles breaks both legs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by famill00, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Did anyone watch the 134th KY Derby? Tragedy happened at the end when the only filly in the pack finished in second place and then broke both front legs during/after the race. She was immediately euthenized. For any of you close to horses it would be hard to imagine what the owners and trainers are feeling right now. Maybe we ought to say a little prayer for those folks. I know first hand how hard it is to put a horse down...but can only imagine what its like when its a horse of that caliber.

Forrest

2. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

A sad day for those folks. I bet the Cowboy Cal horse. That is irrevelant, to the money and tragedy to this philly. My thoughts for the owners, trainer, etc. I hope she is happy in horse Heaven.

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Forrest I saw it also what a bummer.

Fog

4. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Yes very sad like Ruffian years ago a filly that was going to win.

Terry.

5. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately,horses that run in the Derby aren't old enough to have fully developed,in fact very few racehorses are fully grown when raced. It's a nasty little secret not generally known. If allowed to fully mature accidents like this would be more rare.

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

comp 1 is absolutely right. Everyone in racing knows it. 3 year olds should not be run that hard. But, it is deeply entrenched. It will not change. Jake

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

why couldn,t they put her in a belly sling & let the legs heal. i know they put race horses down for a lot of reasons but why ? she could have produced several nice colts maybe? dwain

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

An injury like that could put a stable out of business if they were to finance getting her back to health. Remember Barbaro and how much that cost? The fact of the matter is they can sell much more sperm than they can colts. It is the same when you are dealing with competitive dogs...you will spend more money to save a male than a bitch. Sad..but that is the reality of it.

Forrest

9. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

forrest email me .thanks dwain

10. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I sent you a PM on here. Whatcha got?

Forrest

11. famill00

famill00 TS Member

I just watched the late news and they have confirmed my original belief that she didnt break her ankles until after the race was over. It was when she was slowing down (galloping) after the race was over. Looked like the jockey took a nasty spill in the process. Hopefully no one (aka the jockey) gets blamed for slowing her down too fast....they don't exactly have the ability to stop on a dime. And I agree about them not being fully developed by age 3.

Forrest

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

forrest i pm,d you back. dwain

13. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

"The fracture in Eight Belles' left front ankle opened the skin, allowing contamination to set in. At least one of her sesamoid bones was broken, too.

She didn't have a front leg to stand on to be splinted and hauled off in the ambulance, so she was immediately euthanized," he said. "In my years in racing, I have never seen this happen at the end of the race or during the race." This is from the Vet on the track (text from CNN/SI).

There was nothing they could do to get her off the track, nothing. Until they stop running them young, this will continue. It's a shame.

14. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I don't mean to be cynical here, but I wonder how much sperm they harvested from Barbaro, during his convalescence, before they had to put him down? Jake

15. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

im from the philly area and this horse had my money to win. she ran a good race. very sad.

16. dfrank7262

dfrank7262 TS Member

Jakearoo, it doesn't matter how much sperm they harvested from Barbaro. The Jockey Club doesn't recognized foals resulting from artificial insemination or embryo transplant. All breedings must be done "live cover", and the big TB breeding farms film each and every breeding in case anything is ever protested.

In regards to Eight Belles, it's an incredible tragedy. Most people have no idea how fragile horses in general are. A horse's front legs are a miracle of construction. Most likely, she tore the supporting ligaments which allowed the ankle to overextend and fracture. Same with the sesamoids. When the supporting structures fail, the bones are next to follow.

Another thing, IMHO, that was going against this filly is that she was a very big girl. A lot of these horses that get really big really quick give the appearance of being much more mature than they actually are.

Another very sad day for the horse industry.

Dana

17. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

I know very little about horses but I can't help but wonder why in the 50 years of racing I have watched, have I not seen this as frequently as now. Are they starting them younger than ever? This seems tragically sad if that is the case. Running an animal into the ground for the money or glory of the owner, is cruel in the kindest term I can think of. My stomach turned when I saw the first glimpse of that horse on its side with its head turned in agony. Sad, really sad.

18. AHC

AHC TS Member

There are several reasons why veterinarians do not attempt to repair certain fractures in horses. With 8 Belles case it would be impossible to load her into the emergency van. Horses with repaired broken leg are very susceptible to laminitis due to an overloading of weight of the other legs. Obviously having two broken legs would make this more likely. Suspending horses with belts is "iffy" at best, as many do not tolerate it particularly young horses none enjoy it. This is extremely painful and irreversible condition. Contamination (with dirt) of a broken leg reduces the prognosis drastically due to infection. As the level of comminution or number of pieces the leg is broken into rises the prognosis falls as does it does with any joint involvement. The reports I read did not mention the severity of the soft tissue lesions but obviously these issues are very important as well.
    If anyone wanted to proceed with treatment under this grave prognosis I would doubt they had the horses best interest in mind.

Thoroughbred race horses have always been raced at two and three year olds since the 17th century. There have been reports of negative effects on cartilage on racing two year olds, I have not seen any reports of widespread deleterious issues with racing horses older than 2 years.

The issue with

AHC

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

This is why I've attended exactly one horse race in my 48years..a horse suffered the same fate while I was spectating....too sad to see such a beautiful animal go down, then be put down...never again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.