1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Kenton, Ohio is now Lima, Ohio for coon dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by new loader, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

To all FYI: That annual Labor Day hillbilly rendezvous known as Kenton Nationals is history and a new promoter has moved it to the fairgrounds at Lima, Ohio. BIG improvement. More space, less dust, room for dogs to be off by themselves instead of under every table. It is not a week-long shindig like before, but I like it better.
  2. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I got a call today when a buddy found a Browning Double Auto for sale there today. It was nice but too high. He said he heard there were 1,000 vendors on site.
    Doug Allison
  3. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

It's called- Max's Water Dog Races, Swap Meet & Flea Market.

As far as I'm concerned Kenton is history!

I've been going there since the mid 60's and The Kenton Nationals have nose dived in the past 5-6 years. Filthy, dirty and entirely over priced to visitors and vendors alike. There is nothing like being financially raped at Kenton. They made millions of dollars in a few weeks time and put no money back in to make things better for the following year. But they had no problem raising the entrance fees, lot fees, vendor fees, food and drink fees every year.

My understanding is that "Max" put this whole thing together in 90 days time. I thought it was very well organized for the amount of time spent. It is 100% cleaner, more comfortable to walk around given asphalt pavement vs coarse crushed stone. And yes, "CLEAN" flush toilets and running water!

Allen County Fairgrounds was an excellent choice to host the event and is a "Class" operation in itself.

$5.00 each for my wife and I to get in for 1 day. $20.00 for my golf cart for the duration of the event. 30 bucks for 1 day at Max's vs 60 bucks for 1 day at Kenton. It may have taken 3 minutes to pay the money and get my cart sticker. "NO HASSLE"!

Food was great and reasonably priced. Coolers filled with ice cold bottled water and pop every 50 yards or less for $1.00 at damn near every vendor's site.

Lots of vendors!

I am certain next year will be even better.

Thanks Max! I heard nothing negative and a lot of positive. You've got it going on!
  4. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Remember going as a kid for the first time. The most vivid image for me was the guy doing a 3 Card Molly or Tossing the Broad scam. Man he took in the money and to a 14 year old kid in 1962 that was a bunch of 1 dollar bills.

And that come on- A little Labor Day Fun, A little Labor Day Fun. Didn't know squat and won two bucks. This set up the next guy and he cleaned him out.

Camping $3.00 a night.

Was not in too bad a shape then but did get a lot worse.

Rock

Jim
  5. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

WAs this just a one day deal? Or is it going on Monday also???
  6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

This topic comes up every year and each time I get excited to coon hunt. I did a lot of it in Indiana 40 years ago
  7. new loader

new loader Member

Runs Sept. 5-7
  8. George Steffes

George Steffes TS Member

Went to kenton for years.was on the board for the redbone coon hound ass.,the meeting was always their.they just got to greedy.

George
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.