1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenton Coon Dogs Anyone going?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jdlovejoy4, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Just seeing if anyone on this site goes to the Coon Dog trials.

2. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

Over priced guns and junk dogs. No thanks.

3. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Ouch, sorry to hit a soft spot sounds like somebody got burnt. I think the guns are what you'll pay for them and there is no such thing as a junk dog. People like myself prefer you stay home on this fun filled weekend, cause if I wanted to hear somebody piss and moan all weekend I'd stay at home.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Looks like a lot of Bluegrass entertainment too. It would be worth it just for that. My wife hunted coon with her pop growing up and still talks about it. We would be there if it were closer. You are right about junk dogs, there are none.Some are better but all dogs are good ( except pit bulls)

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Been out of the game a number of years. Is this the one in Indiana?

6. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

Hubby went every year for over 20 years. I went with him after we got married. That was 20+ years ago. Some of the nicest old guns you could ever want to see. Looking out at the front fence it was wall to wall gun barrels.
    Boy did that change when they started letting the flea marketers in...
    In about 3 years it went from wall to wall gun barrels and nice pieces (we bought our Model 20 Winchester there for a song...and it is a beauty) to very few guns and if you could find a nice piece at a good price you were lucky.
    We quit going about almost 10 years ago.
    Heard an advertisement on Lima radio station on the way to the Cardinal Center last week and it was advertised as "The Kenton National Flea Market". Absolutely no mention of the National Coon Dog Trial....what a shame.

7. cubancigar2000

pheasantmaster- Ohio

8. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

I talked to a long time coon dog attendee and he said "Never buy a gun there after dark!" From what I have heard there are some bargins to be had but one must really look them over close. I know guys that take guns there to sell because they "need" to go away. I live close but have never been to it. My Dad tells a great story about this event from back when a fellow could buy anything that one might need. He was young and green and some of his more experienced buddies sent him on a beer run. They pointed him to a tent that they said contained the beer being served. The line was pretty long and it was not moving very fast. The guys coming out of the tent had a smile but no beer. When Dad got closer to the tent he realized this was a "service" tent but it was NOT the beer tent. His buddies were watching from a distance and got a good laugh. Years ago I have also heard that they allowed live ammo on site. I guess it was not uncommon to hear gun fire at anytime. If a buyer wanted proof that a gun was operational, hell just let one go! Sometimes I wonder how all of you guys survived the good old days!
    Doug

9. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

jdlovejoy4- I shouldnt of stated things the way I did in my first post. Sorry for that. I have attended in the past and never found any guns that interested me at a reasonable price. Maybe I didnt look hard enough. I should of said that about junk dogs, every dog needs a home. Its just that I grew up with champion PKC Black & Tans. These were exceptional dogs both in the woods and on the show bench. If you are familiar with the coon trials than you are probably aware of Black & Tan days and Walker Days. These are huge trials and our dogs won titles at both. It upsets me to see people new to the sport shopping for their first coon dog with their hard earned money and someone sells them a "coon dog" for a good chunk of cash. The problem with this is the guy selling the dog doesnt know anything about running them and the dog for sale wont run nothing but a deer. Than someone takes the dog out and puts a bullet in its head because it wont run. I'm glad people enjoy attending the event and it does help promote the sport. Hope everyone has a good time and maybe has better luck than I did at finding some good deals.

10. cubancigar2000

BLKLBS - nice recovery, good post

11. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

I will be there on Saturday. Never saw a gun that interested me. All 870s and 1100s covered with an inch of dust. Better get there early in the AM while they are still wiped clean. All dime a dozen. Not the place to go for anything nice. I go for the spectacle and visit with some old timers I only see once a year. Also, all the cute little beagle pups will put a smile on your face.

12. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Ah yes the Kenton Nationals. Used to go every Labor day Leafy Oak water races and the field trials.

Did a lot of coon hunting 45 years ago. Help found the Clark County Coon Hunters Assn. just outside of Midway, OH. Bought a strip of land with a pond held our water races and night hunts from there.

Owned a couple of Blue ticks and Red bones..

Rock

Jim

13. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Jdlovejoy4- You tell them! It ain’t no Jaquas or walking down the Vendors row at Cardinal!

Blklabs- If you bought over priced guns and junk dogs they must have seen you coming! You can get whatever you want for whatever price that you are willing to pay there.

It is not the place to go looking for a trap gun. They are few and far between if at all. Pistols, rifles and shotguns are everywhere. Good deals and yes, bad deals. If you don’t know what you are buying you can and will get educated unless you are lucky. You can get anything from guns to underwear to dried coon dicks there.

My crazy friend, Fritz, swam against the Grand Champion dog one year in the cement pond and beat him. Yes, he was drunk and yes everyone went wild while it happened. Fritz even barked at the coon in the cage that the dogs chase. A lot of cash exchanged hands that night. They still talk about that and it’s been 10 years ago.

I’ve been going there since the late 60’s. I’m going today and I’ll more than likely be there tomorrow.

14. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I worked for a guy who won it one year back in the 70s. He still had the biggest grin on his face everytime he told the story. Said he came home with a trunk load of cash and went on a 2 week drunk! I can still see him grinning from ear to ear!!! Don

15. hammer-time

hammer-time TS Member

that was the one place that my dad wouldn't let me tag along to as a young teen. Dad still goes every year. He ran the water race trials for years and then started competetion hunting coon dogs. Raised and trained several world champs. Captain Jack and Spotted Rock from the water race days and walkers in the years after. Best known was Red Eagle Dick. I can't see him not attending the Kenton event as long as he is still able.

16. BLKLABS

BLKLABS TS Member

capnrico- If you read my post I said that I never got burnt. I have never bought a over priced gun. And there is no way in hell I would buy a coon dog at a meet. About 95% of the time there is a reason those guys are selling those dogs. And the guys that go there and trade a dog and $100 for someone elses dog. What a joke. Neither dog will pri run a coon. I dont need to walk around all day and look at Mossberg shotguns. My time is worth more than that. But like I said before, I hope everyone that is attending has a goodtime.

17. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Not everyone can have a pedigree!

18. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Thanks for all the feedback I just got in and had a great time. The numbers seemed to be down this year. Overall I have a blast. BLK no harm done I apologize for the quick snap remark, I could understand your point on the dog issue, some people can ruin tradition and a top quality breed to make a quick buck. Thanks again Josh

19. cubancigar2000

bring them hounds over here to my back property. I must have 100 coons and some of them are gigantic.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My dad used to buy coon dogs at the Kenton Trials back in the 70s. The main thing I remember is the widespread fleas, ticks and really bad teeth. Some of the dogs had 'em too.

-GW22

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.