1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ken Hurst vs. Andy's Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Jim,

Like you, I've heard nothing but good things about Mr. Hurst. One of these days, when I want to get something engraved, I'll get the pleasure of dealing with Ken.

My gunsmith has also been dealing with the fall-out from the "Andy's" fiasco. He had too much work to begin with, and now he's really backed up!

ec90t

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

There you go again Mike. He he he. I love seeing the work that Ken has done. One of these days I'll have a need for a fancy gun, until then I can just admire!

ec90t

3. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Thanks for the vote of support guys --- much appreciated ! Mike, Seitz told me the action was 45 on the C scale , not 30. 30 would have been tough but the Seitz was really differcult. Seems like I would make a few cuts and have to stop and re-sharpen my chisel & graver continuously. Truly glad you liked the scratching. Ken

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Ken is doing a very nice job on an SX-1 for me and, in the course of this project, I believe that I have also made a friend. Ken, in my view, is not only an outstanding artisan, he is the type of fellow with strength of character and values that I like to deal with. He has also introduced me to a number of other craftmen, all of whom share his honesty, integrity, and dedication to perfection.

Ernest Marlette, as a gun smith and creator of the finest high polish bluing I have ever seen, stands out as one of these other fellows.

I will be going down to Ken's, hopefully within the next three weeks, with my Cecil Fredi stock blank (another Ken supplied source) to have another fella (Boone) start work on the stock set. I look forward to talking guns and engraving with Ken, seeing Miss Julie again, and eating the best BBQ and fried chicken in these parts.

Cheers

Stephen

5. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Mr. Gordy ---- many thanks , can always use a little extra trade. I would like to talk to you so please forward me your number so that I might call.

Mr. Steve --- The eye operation was a success so I should be able to do better work. Glad we decided to leave the gold inlays until after Boone has finished your stock. Now with 20/20 vision in my one good eye, you'll be getting a better job. We have been looking to hear from y'all re. coming down. Please let me know in advance so I get a side of those nine hour cooked BBQ ribs for us to pig out on. Ken

PS; I'm available to answer questions if anyone is interested enough to call. My number is 910-221-5288 EST seven days a week.

6. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Ken, where in NC are you located. Headed down there late Nov.

7. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

JBMI ----- I live in Robersonville, N.C., a small town just 20 miles north of Greenville, N.C. If you are traveling south on 95, I live just off 64 about 30 to 40 minutes away . You would take 64 east where it intersects 95 in Rocky Mount, N.C. My house is a mile off the exit on the same street. Finding me is easy as can be. Anyone interested in stopping by will be welcome to visit me and Boone (stockmaker) who only lives about 125 yards from me. I'd appreciate a call first to be sure there isn't anyone else here that I'm working with. Ken

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Naw Mike, I knew you weren't showing off. I do enjoy seeing a true craftsmen work! Ken's work is that of a true craftsman!

ec90t

9. Notime2

Notime2 TS Member

Skeet2Day & Baron23,

Would love to see pictures of those SX-1's....Please!

Just about sent a M-21 to Andy's...Lucky I procrastinated. Glad you received that scarce gun back.

Would like my winter field gun upgraded and was torn between Mr Hurst or Pauline. Fred...not the 2008 Fred

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Notime - will post when done...probably another 4-6 months for completion including the engraving, stock work and hand oil finish, bluing, and gunsmithing.

I have nothing to say bad about Pauline, but I have nothing but praise for Mr. Hurst's engraving skills and the monumental body of knowledge that will help you end up with an elegant, proportioned, and well executed gun in the style that you like.

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

And I'm supposed to go to sleep now!

Thanks for posting the pic's, Mike. Great art work indeed!

ec90t

12. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I am foaming at the mouth. That is some beautiful engraving!!!! Matt

13. Notime2

Notime2 TS Member

Thank you PBB,

Guns like those must distract the competition.

Mr Hurst leaves no doubt...a Master...

I'm speechless. Fred

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ken ... next time I'm in NC on the way to or from Selma I just might give a call and stop in. I dont think I could afford most of your work but what would you charge me for a small engraved scratch? Would just an engraved nick be cheaper?

Oh well ... I would probably splurge anyway and go for the full scratch.

15. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Lump of Crap, you astound me by your stupidity and arrogance. Your are a real piece of work, molded from a pile of Bovine fecal matter. RG

16. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Lumper, I try and work to the clients available budget as much as possible. Give me a call and we can discuss your interest & approx. cost for commission. I'm in the shop seven days a week, 10-14 hours a day. I'm easy to get in touch with. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Ken
    910-221-5288 EST

17. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

What about Nick Kusmit as an engraver?

18. Simon says

Simon says TS Member

Ken are still down east of Rocky Mount? I need to make a road trip your way maybe we can get some of that famous fried chicken .

19. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Hi Mr. Simon --- thanks Mr. Gordy and all for your kind words. Today, I was fortunate enough to have a party of three show up for a visit and while they were here , another gentleman arrived --- the more the merrier. We all had a good time talking engraving in the shop and over a side of pork BBQ ribs. These ribs are to die for --- cooked over an open pit of coals for nine hours.

I still live in Robersonville, N.C. not to far off US 95. I welcome anyone who would like to stop and visit for a spell. Boone Berlin (stockmaker) lives just a 130 yds from my shop where he has his shop. If you choose to stop by, you can most likely visit with both of us. Oh yeah, sure, we still have the best southern fried chicken --- folks drive in from other towns for miles around for it. Best regards to all, ken

PS --- Mr. Gordy, I'm looking forward to getting that blank I ordered --- I'm sure it will be great and thank you for such great service in answering my numerous questions. K

20. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Well, that sounds like a deal ol boy. He got three stock jobs today from three of the guys who were visiting me and Boone also got another order from the gentleman who droped in. I will advise him of your web site so he can order wood from you. The clients today already had their blanks but there will be more to come. You certainly have my backing ! Best regards to all, Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.