1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ken Hurst SX-1

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Baron23, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Gentlemen - as I have posted once or twice before, I am (due to severe mental illness and complete financial irresponsibility) creating custom SX-1 that I have wanted to do as a project for quite some time. The goal was to honor the tradition of the SX-1 Super Pigeon without duplicating the same old 12-5 engraving pattern. Specifically, waterfowl on the ejection side, upland game on the left side.

To this end, I commissioned Ken Hurst to do the engraving. Pictured below are my poor attempts at photography at Ken's shop of the right side of the receiver which is still in the white. The left side is not yet done so I have also shown the sample artwork that is the artistic model for the left side.

I have also purchased a fabulous English blank from Cecil Fredi and am having Boone Berlin, a young protoge of Ken's, do a custom stock. Now, I have seen many of the fabulous competition gun stocks done for members by such as Mr. DeVault. They are like the stocks on my Kolar, beautiful in execution but shape is dictated by competition fit...so, sometimes they get to be a bit of a boat oar. Great for their intended purpose. For this gun, I wished a compromise. I want it to fit...offset comb, toed out, high MC comb that fits me (1 1/4" drop), palm swell, good sharp curve to the pistol grip....BUT I didn't want the canoe oar look. The SX-1 is graceful and this is truly to be a show piece gun.

I have found young Mr. Berlin to be a finely suitable guild mate to Ken Hurst, a master of his craft. Boone is completely honest, extraordinarily dedicated to quality and the smallest detail, very good listern and understands what the customer is trying to express, and has the outstanding skills to render these desires in a wonderfully proportioned yet still good fitting stock. We completed the pattern stock on Saturday and it will be going out for duplicating and then back to Boone for checkering and fine oil finish.

Please see the pictures below and I hope you find them enjoyable.

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view¤t=SX-1Receivers008-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view¤t=SX-1Receivers011.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view¤t=SX-1Receivers010.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=LeftsideofEngraving.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Best Regards,

Stephen

2. Baron23

In Ken's workshop with two excellent friends

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=SX-1Receivers009.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

3. Baron23

Boone Berlin working on the pattern stock from which we will duplicate with Ken Hurst in the background. At this time, we needed to move the comb over a bit...no belt sander for this boy, all done with the sharpest rasps and files you have ever seen....I like hand work and Boone does it beautifully.

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=DSCN0029.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Nice. Keep the pictures coming.

5. chuckles

chuckles Member

Baron 23...

Fantastic pictures and WOW on the engraving, superb job...

thank you for sharing...

Will you be shooting this gun or will it be "show and tell only"...???

regards

6. Baron23

Chuckles - I will not (so far) own a gun I will not shoot. However, I won't make this an everday or competition gun....but it will be shot...it is, after all, a gun :)

7. Baron23

Well Supersport....I don't think they are wrong things to do with the stock. I repeat, I wanted a compromise between a stock that fits and one that retains elegance. I believe that we have achieved both aesthetic qualities and fit..at least good aesthetics for my eye...the one that is attached to the hand that is paying for the job LOL.

I understand what you are saying, but that is like the Parker restorer I know who leaves Trojan grades flawed (file marks, unfilled pores in the wood, etc) because that's how they were made by Parker when manufacturing these lower grade guns of their line. I understand why, I just don't agree.

In my view, there are all of these religiously worshiped original stocks on particularly doubles guns that never fit anyone...its not that they were superior in form although that form is now honored as if handed down from high, its that shooting styles were different and, again in my view only, most of these classic collector gun stocks with 2 1/2" of drop or more have never met a cheek bone....they are useless for their purpose and to me form follows function and therein is beauty in its own right.

Cheers

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Baron23: That is one beautiful gun. I will be anxious to see the stock when it is done. Ed

9. finger

finger TS Member

Steve: Looks like the project is coming nicely. Hope the remainer of the work goes as smoothly.

Guys, Steve is a good friend and you can take his word to the bank. This gun will be shot! He really is crazy enough to do it. bob finger

10. Baron23

LOL...start practicing right handed...maybe one day my heirs will sell it!

Best to you Sportshot.

Cheers

11. Landshark

Landshark Member

Nice picture, thank you.

12. Baron23

DB Bill - please look at the original post. I added the art work to be used for the other side. Short hairs flushing pheasants.

Cheers

13. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Well , Dang , Youngin' ; if I had thought you were only gonna take it "part way" , I might have thought twice about sellin' that beauty to you .

Cngratulations ! ! ! you and the piece deserve each other .
    Charlie

14. Baron23

Charlie!! How the heck are you. Yes, this is indeed your gun...hardly recognize her, can you. Hope you feel that this gun is being used/customized to good purpose and taste.

Part way??, LOL. Never for an obessive compulsive like me.

Below are the dogs we are going to use for the pheasant scene. The scene's composition will be much like shown above, but I like the tension and pose of these dogs (however, we are going to gloss over the breast implants of the lead dog...I just don't get those briskets...look a little over done to me and Ken).

<a href="http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/Baron23_photos/?action=view&current=Meyersdogsinhighresolutionreversed.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. Baron23

Well, I suppose I don't mind, although there will be many who will roll their eyes at me for spending so much money gussying up a gun, and an auto at that.

Let me preface this with a statement; I love these guns and wanted to create what I thought would be the ultimate conclusion of 12-5 pattern direction if it was allowed. That I am reasonably fortunate in life's financial circumstances, so I could do it.

The blank - $700 from Cecil Fredi...remember, its an auto blank and hence shorter than one for a double gun and commensurately easier to find at this quality which is reflected in the price.

Stock work - I believe this will fall in the $1000-1200 range

Engraving - Current estimate is $5K. You could do these scenes in the $2500 range, but not with this level of detail. You pay for what you get. Also, gold is out of sight, almost $1k/ounce. Still very cheap to me compared to guys like Winston Churchill who do a gun a year and charge $50K for the priveledge. Or, if you look close, there is a lot of fine gold wire framing..some engravers get $40/inch for this.

Or take your high grade K-80. Its still a K80 so we know that under it all is a $10K gun. Put the high grade engraving on it and it sells for $80K and I like this style of engraving more that the deep relief Germanic style (reminds me of an overdone fresco on an Italiante villa...not for me).

Cheers

16. Baron23

Sportshot - don't let that picture of Boone working the stock fool you...its not a roll over comb. When I think roll over, I think offset wide radius curved comb to a sharp edge that drops to a flat plane on the outside surface.

The picture is misleading, the comb is offset some but both sides of the stock have nice graceful curves.

As to shooting...well, we will have to see LOL

Thanks

Cheers

17. Baron23

HI Skeet2Day - wow...I wonder if we know each other. Boone has only been down there a few months so our projects must have passed in his and Ken's shops? I know of one other SX-1 receiver that was in Ken's but it belong to a fella from Aberbejian (got me on the spelling...I can't even say it right)

Did you get Pork BBQ from Greenville or the fried chicken at Family Favorites (which is the best fried chicken and black eye peas I have had anywhere) LOL

Please do post the before/after pics of your gun...love to see them. I have never understood some folks proprietary attitude about a thread that they started.

Post away, Sir...post away.

Stephen

18. Maner

Maner TS Member

North carolina is proud to have some fine gunsmiths. If you think about it,
    there us Marlette,Hurst,Wilkinson and back years ago ,Joe Ballike. That is
    a tough crowd. I am not familiar with the young stock guy,but he is in fine company. These pics are great entertainment. Keep it coming.It should be published. A lot more interesting and informative than the arguments that
    happen on here.

19. Baron23

Skeet2day - what a find at what a price! I notice there is a diamond pattern on the fore end...I have not seen that on an SX-1. Thanks for posting pics, would love to see what it looks like now.

Marner - I plan to write a small article with pics for Shooting Sportsman and see if I can get it published. Written from the point of view of...well, exactly what I am.. a guy with no prior custom gun project experience. Perhaps they will find it interesting.

Cheers

20. Baron23

skeet2day - outstanding, really super! Who do you think did the bluing...Ken doesn't blue anymore as far as I know...with that level of polish I would be Ernest Marlette did the bluing. Really beautiful, a great find and a great restoration.

Stock is kick a$$.

Cheers

Stephen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.