1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ken Hurst Engraved SX-1 Project Gun Pics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Baron23, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

If this site and Photobucket (its a bucket alright LOL) cooperate, there will be six pics below of my SX-1. I have posted previous pics of receiver in the white and wood blank, but here is the almost finished gun. The wood needs to have the oil finish redone, hence the grip cap is not installed yet as the screws have been timed and we only want to install them once.

Engraver - Ken Hurst - (910) 221-5288

Gunsmithing and Bluing - Ernest Marlette - (336) 456-1818

Checkering - John Reese - (406) 883-1465,
    http://www.customdiamonds.biz/index.html

Stock Maker - don't ask, but Doug Mann will be redoing the oil finish

Photography - Berle Cherny - http://www.berlecherney.com

Hope you enjoy them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

WOW ... Would you care to put an approximate cost on your project, so some of us know if this is something we can afford to do? Bill Malcolm

3. Baron23

Hi Bill - not really....you could PM me and I'll ball park it for you, but its almost embarrassing. It wasn't intended to be so elaborate, nor so expensive, when I first started out but the project sort of got out of my control. It became, in my mind, "in for a penny then may as well be in for a pound".

The view of the engraving is limited by the 800 pixel limit of TS.com for images (that's not criticism....this site has the best image posting capabilities overall of any gun site...thanks Dave). But if you viewed the engraving in person you could see the incredible detail...which equals money. The same scenes could be done for much less and still look good, just would have less detail and manhours.

Ken Hurst will tailor an engraving project to meet your budget...no doubt about it.

PM me and I'll tell you estimates for the various work.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Baron23, it may have gotten a tad more involved than the original plan BUT!!!!

What you've put together is nothing short of a pure work of art!! A one of a kind work of art that I'd personally consider in the priceless category!!!

WOW!! is an understatement!! Hap

5. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Steve, your commission was a real challenge but on so worth the work involved. It';s seldom I get the chance to do this level of work & such a pleasure to do.

I will be happy to send more detailed close-up pictures to anyone who cares to email me & ask for them. I also am always happy to talk about engraving if you have an interest or questions. You can also call. Ken 910-221-5288

6. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

What an awesome gun. The thing I like about it the most is that it looks by the recoil pad as if this gun is going to be a shooter...not a 'safe queen'. Pride of ownership for the owner, unselfishly shared with admirers. Outstanding. Cheers-Graham.

7. Baron23

Hi Graham - indeed its made to be shot and has already been shot...not a lot, six rounds of singles, but I haven't missed with it yet either LOL.

The stock is indeed toed out with offset comb and palm swell. This is a competition style stock for a reason.

Let me say it again....if you are at all interested in doing a project gun, Ken will tailor the engraving to your budget...you don't have to go whole hog like I did. I have seem him to exquisite work for a pre-defined and limted budget. I urge you to call him if you have an interest.

Plus, you may like myself, also get a new friend out of it.

8. chuckles

chuckles Member

Very, very Classy...it all came together very, very well Steve you did good.

Chuck

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Who did the wood if I may ask? Beautiful!

I had a very nice Tom Smith stocked SX-1 that was engraved in the K-80 Gold Super Scroll pattern by one of Kolar's engravers. Should have kept it but alas....

10. Baron23

I was not happy with the stock maker for a number of reasons...hence I will not name the person.

As I mentioned in the first post, Doug Mann...who is exellent, will refinish this stock.

The checkering was done by John Reese - (406) 883-1465,

http://www.customdiamonds.biz/index.html

I highly recommend John. His work was top notch and it was on-time and on-budget.

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Spectacular!! Some of us shouldn't be looking at such beautiful work, but I guess we can dream can't we. Great work by all involved. Bob

12. shooter49

shooter49 Member

Very nicely done, an outstanding piece of work. I posted on another thread on how to enlarge the pics on your screen. Hold down the Ctrl key and scroll with the mouse to increase or decrease the screen. You can really see the work close up and it's apparent quality. Have fun with it. I hope you post a pic when the finish is done and the pg cap is installed.

Vic

13. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

WOW and WOW again. Finest example of a Super-X I have ever seen. I own three of them and believe they are one of the finest guns ever made. I sure shot mine well, #50 on the grand slam list with mine.

I do have one that has a plain receiver that would be perfect for engraving. I'll have to think about that. What an outstanding job by all you commisioned.

Tom Strunk

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

If anyone else is interested in this type of project, I have an SX-1 trap with an immaculate, VERY slightly used plain sided receiver. $1100 shipped, pix on request.

Ken Rucker

15. Baron23

Shooter49 - . "I posted on another thread on how to enlarge the pics on your screen. Hold down the Ctrl key and scroll with the mouse to increase or decrease the screen:.

gee, I'm in tech and have been working with computers for decades and didn't know that trick! LOL Too bad I can't upload the 8Mb original files...then you can see some real detail. Yes, when I get it done, done, I will post one more pic since you asked. For those already bored with this (as I have posted pics of progress over the last two years LOL), my apologies ;-)

Mr. Strunk - #50 on grand slam list! wow, yourself...seems like you really know how to make one of these guns sing. I can't recommend Ken Hurst and Ernest Marlette highly enough. Ken can do any kind of scene you like...if you can do animals well, the rest is cake, eh? For me, the goal was to honor the tradition of Winchester shotgun engraving, in particular the 12-5 pattern we are most familiar with, without in any way copying it. I wanted upland on left and water fowl on right to honor that tradition, but as you can see this is no factory SX-1 Super Pigeon although it was Ken's company that did that production level engraving on contract to Winchester those many years ago.

Thanks again on behalf of the artisans who did the work.

16. Ken Hurst

Ken Hurst TS Member

Boy, you guys certainly know how to make an old fart feel good ! Many thanks for your kind words for my end of the commission but a great deal of praise goes to Mr. Steve for all the work he did in detailing exactly what he wanted. Clients like him aren't a pain in the &%$ but a blessing to someone like me who has to do the work. Thanks again for all your help Mr. Steve ............

17. Baron23

Thank you very much, Jim

Ken, you make me blush which ain't easy.

and TTT for those out of town and who may want to see these pictures and consider commissioning an engraving job.

18. B.C.

B.C. Member

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/wvfc/?action=view&current=H5-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here is another one that Ken is finishing for me !B.C

19. Baron23

TTT one last time...I promise ;-)

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

We can't let this beauty slid down the path too far, too many haven't had a chance to see the fantastic (ARTWORK) yet!!! Steve, no more of that one time crapola either! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ken hurst engraving