1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ken Griffey, Jr. Retires after 22 seasons

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

What a class act,,,,sure wish more players were the ambassador that Jr. is,,,,Thanks for the memories....

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

A great player at one time but played way beyond when he should have retired. Has not hit 40 home runs since 2000. Only one season over .300 batting average (.301) since 1997. Will get in the Hall of Fame on longevity.

DoubleAuto

3. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Why do you think he is a class act?

He was a jackass to deal w/and gave Seattle the finger when he left to play for the Reds.He can't stand up at Coopertown and say he gave it his all.

He was the Greatest natural (clean)player of our day BUT was lazy in his 30's and played out of shape his last 5 years because he didn't care anymore.I am sad that he didn't retire 4 years ago rather than see him go out like this!

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

10 or so years ago I would have bet almost anything he would be the one to break Hank Aaron's home run record.

He sure didn't do much for Cincy when he made the move to play for the Reds. He never did make it to the World Series.

I did get to see him hit his 500th homerun, I was in Busch stadium in Stl for that one.

Class act?? When compared to Baby Bonds he was/is. I've never heard Junior's name mentioned concerning roids, so I'm guessing his records are legit.

I've got a question for you baseball fans out there - how come Seattle never made it to the Series when they had all those guys at one time? Junior Griffey, ARod, Jay Beuhner, their DH - Edgar Martinez (that guy could hit), Randy Johnson aka the Big Unit, and some other solid players.

5. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Easy about Seattle not making it to the World Series-only team in baseball not to play in the Series!

The owner lives in Japan and has NEVER seen a Mariners game:he has two jokes in the Front office not committed to winning. They have never been committed to putting the best team on the fielda nd winning. They focus on giveaway nights(bobbleheads) and keeping 2 has been players as designated huggers-the napster and Sweeny.

Right now the team has better pitching than the Yankees and haven't had 3 wins in a row!They have 4 starters batting 182,183,184,185;plus the the DH batting 187!

They get away w/ this crap because the fans are stupid here and go to the ballpark because it's cool place to go.

6. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have to agree with Blackfoot, he was lazy. I watched every home game he played in Cincinnati his last 4 years here and he was lazy. Never in four years did I see him taking fly balls in the outfield before the game. He always took batting practice, but never went into the outfield. He turned many a sure double into a long single by standing and watching the ball thinking he had a home run, or he got thrown out at second because he was trotting to first. He never did drugs, or did anything bad while in Cincinnati, but he surely didn't play to his potential. God gave him super talent and he didn't give it his all and that is sad.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Actually, the Washington Nationals, (Montreal Expos), and the Texas Rangers (Washington Senators) have never been in the World Series either. Wayne

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Wow, been that long. Remember when he first came here to Seattle.

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Why did I think he was great? Well he wasn't a whiner like many prima donnas that we have today. Didn't hear about him having any drug, mistress, steroids, etc. problems. I think that he still respected the game....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.