1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ken C. re: Where were you July 4, 1966?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mooney, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooney

mooney Member

Jan 29, 1998

I just read your post about being stationed aboard the Uss Vance and patrolling off the coast of Viet Nam on July 4, 1966.

My father, LCDR Edwin G Wedding was the XO on the Vance when she was recomissioned at Mare Island in 1957. She was stationed in Seattle as part of the anti-submarine arm of the DEW line. I remember Dad leaving the house in the middle of the night, in uniform on more than one occasion. I remember visiting the Vance many times and sitting on the 3" mounts. I think I shot down more Jap Zeroes than any other 11 yr. old kid in the world! Members of the crew took me all over the ship, explained what everything was and what their duties were. They were great guys and very squared away.

Hal Brauner was the captain; fine man and a great CO according to Dad. Our families did quite a bit together. I hold many special memories of the Vance and her crew. She was a fine ship.

Dad left the Vance in '58 and served at his last duty station,GLNTC until Sept. '61 when he retired. He passed away in 2002.

If you read this thread, please drop me an e-mail and tell me about your srevice on the Vance. Did yoou serve under Arnheiter?

Thank you for your service to our country.

Veery truly yours,

Mooney Glenn Wedding
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.