1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kemmerly Triggers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esoxhunter, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Last year there was a discussion on this forum regarding the shoddy workmanship that Merle Kemmerly allegedly performed on numerous shooters trigger assemblies. If I remember correctly the vast majority of respondents had little good to say about his work. In this thread, I happened to mention that I have routinely observed 1/2 page ads regarding Kemmerly's business, in the Shotgun Sports magazine. It somewhat concerned me, as if these allegations had merit, (and they surely must have "some merit"), due to the vast amount of negative responses toward Kemmerly in the thread; it might prompt subscribers to have inferior work done by this person. I went on to say that if a publication knowingly took money from an unscrupulous advertiser; they were somewhat doing a disservice to their subscribers. I just received my March 2009 Shotgun Sports magazine. In this issue, in Ed Clappers' "Final Shot" column; Ed mentioned that he had his release trigger done by Allem's Guncraft. No problem there, as Allem's does excellent work. However in the same paragraph Mr Clapper mentions, and I quote; "Kemmerly's is another good place to look for a release trigger". Unquote. Now, I have had no dealings with Kemmerly and possibly some shooters have had good luck with his workmanship. (However this seems to be rather suspect to say the least). It seems like Shotgun Sports pushes for shooters to patronize the people that advertise with them. Again no problem with that. However, I do not feel it fair to recommend the services of someone who might have ethical issues; just because they pay to advertise with them. This is not fair to their subscribers. I may be all wrong on this. Hopefully, some readers of this thread can give me some insight as to Mr. Kemmerly's workmanship. Just my opinion. Ed

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have never heard anyone say anything good about Kemmerly triggers . With so many good trigger smiths out there why take a chance .

3. esoxhunter

ALF-99: It would seem that Mr. Clapper who works for Shotgun Sports; should investigate and have first hand knowledge of Kemmerly's workmanship; before recommending him to his readers. Otherwise he is doing a disservice to the subscribers. Ed

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

There is another add for Kemmerly on page 88 of the current TRap & Field. I have never used Kemmerly, so I have no direct involvement. However; since Trap & Field is supposed to be "our" magazine, it is time to look out for each other. I've got your six. Hope Trap & Field adopts that attiude. If the reader loses faith in one advertiser then all others may be suspect. Better to refund & forgoe income from one possible bad apple & hurt everyone else.

Phil Berkowitz

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I have had some release triggers made and never had a problem with any of them . I use Allor-Spears and Allem all good . Of all the custom work you can have done the trigger is the most important . If I hear one guy say some smith is bad I think maybe ...But if I keep hearing others say the same thing time after time ??????????

6. esoxhunter

RickN: For the sake of discussion; what about the same magazine that takes the $$ for the ad and then a regular columnist for that same magazine refers this individual to the magazines subscribers?? Many of these subscribers place confidence in the magazines' referrals as well as the person writing a column for the magazine. What you are saying is the magazine should take the advertising $$, allow the columnist to promote the inept work of the advertiser and let the subscriber get "screwed". Then in your opinion when enough people get "stung" the advertiser will suffer the consequences? But as all of this developed the magazine or its contributing columnists bear no responsibility for promoting this to occur?? Interesting? What if I had an investment magazine and as of right now, encouraged you to invest with Bernie Madoff; because he still has some advertising time on the books?

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

You buyen

8. esoxhunter

RickN: Although I'm retired; I am on my 2nd cocktail already. Ha.. However, I know what your saying. Enjoy!! Ed

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I have had Kemmerly butcher a Perazzi trigger and all he was supposed to do was replace a hammer. It took another $150 to fix his screw ups. The gunsmith I took it to knew who did it before I even said who. I wouldn't let the A hole touch a broom handle.

Don

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Well here we go:

I bought a Browning Special Trap from a NC shooter and proceeded to terrorize the local gun clubs shooting doubles.

It had a Kemmerly "double release" trigger and worked great. I hat that I ever sold the gun but I had to have the Kolar Combo.

I am not a AA doubles shooter now but managed a two fistful's of 98's and 97's with the gun in 2005/2006.

FRedmon

11. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

If I remember correctly Mr Kemmerly was a great shooter in his day,but that day has passed. I sent my gun to him a few years back,talked with his daughter as she was working the web site at that time.The job was not done well to say the least.They even had some kind of glue or resin dripped on the stock.I took it somewhere else to be repaired and chalked it up to a bad experience and I learned very fast after hearing of many other people with similar experiences.Best bet is stay away. Now I'm sure some jobs come out ok,but many do not. Mine was a horror story-no need to go into detail but it was bad.

Again Mr Kemmerly was once a great shooter-all american I think.I'm not sure if he is even still alive and perhaps someone else is helping in the shop.If so the work may have improved.But with so many other trigger shops with good reputation,well you get my drift.As far as Ed's article I have not read it and Ed is sure welcome to his own opinion.He does have plenty of knowledge.

12. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I had problems similar to Big Don. I kinda shudder when I see the word.....Kemmerly.

BB

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

During last years Grand I related to Mr Cantu the experiences I had with Mr K and some other stories I had heard. Cantu acted dumb and said "really"? Anyhow, they will take the mans advertising money and it doesn't matter how bad he is. All I can say is "beware of his work" Nuff said.

14. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

First amateur, whatever that is.

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just because a person is or was a good shooter, doesn't mean they are a good gunsmith or more important a person with integrity.

Phil Berkowitz

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

IMHO it is fine to take Kemmerly's advertising dollar but the writer had better be sure of his words before he goes recommending their work in his articles. Maybe had to stretch the piece that month?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. Stuart

Stuart Member

Don't put Ed down till you hear from him. His Editor may very well have inserted that. After all the Editor has to keep his advertisers happy and coming back.
    Just a thought
    Stu

18. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Stu I thought of that to . I know of two gunsmiths that put out bad work . One just got to old and did,t retire in time and then you have Kemmerly .

19. esoxhunter

Stu: Editor or contributing columnist; what in the heck is the difference?? Keep the advertisers happy and "to hell" with your subscribers!! Give me a break. Then subscribers should take the hint and not subscribe. Correct?? Ed

20. brownk80

brownk80 Member

I too had Kemmerly do a set of Perazzi triggers, the selectable adjustable ones. Workmanship was terrible. Saw cuts in the hammers, unfinished surfaces, etc. They doubled on about the 100 shot in my single barrel. When I tried them in with my doubles barrel the doubled on the 4th pair and again on the 5th pair. Stopped shooting, called Kemmerly and he said send them back. I did...twice and they continued to double. Sent them to Allem and they knew exactly who had done them before I said a word. Cost and additional $360 for two new hammers and sears in addition to having the work done. I also, at Kemmerly's insistance sent the entire receiver so the trigger would "work properly". Got it back with some scratchs and pits like you would get from being around a welder throwing sparks or from laying on a bench that wasn't clean. They man may have been a good shot but he is a joke as a gun- smith and like BigDon and BoogerBlue it will be a cold day in hell when he ever sees one of my guns again. Alan Timney did some triggers for me years ago and the gun was back to me in about 4 days with triggers that broke just like he told me they would. Those triggers (pull) still break at 3 and 3 1/4 pounds and they have been in that gun for 12 years. He also did a couple of releases for me and they still function like they did originally. Timney was retired when I sent my P-gun to Kemmerly or I would have used him but I will never use Kemmerly again for anything. I tried to save some money and I paid for it...once!! Never again. He is a joke and Shotgun Sports will give space to any one who has the money for an add. Free enterprise is fine but so is buyer beware. And, buyer you better beware!!

Brownk80

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kemmerlyreleasetriggers