1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

KEMEN 12 ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fly, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fly

fly Active Member

Does anyone shoot the KEMEN 1oz or 1 1/8 12 gauge on this forum? I had been shooting these for several years with NO (failure to fire), just recently within the last 6 months, i have had probably 20 not go off. Most will go off after a 2nd attempt, but not all of them.

Not just in 1 gun, 1-K80 and 2 Beretta 391's

anyone seeing the same thing?

2. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've shot them for several yrs. with no failures. My shells are 2 to 3 yrs old and still have some left. I guess I'll find out soon.

Roy

3. 3200k80

3200k80 Member

In my son's 391 a couple of recent failures, light hit on primers, they did fire in my Perazzi. 1oz 1210fps loads.

4. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have shot 4 flats recently and have had 2 misfires.Both had primers that were manufacturing problems with the primer.1 actually had a gap between the side of the primer and the hole.

Darr

5. Juantoomany

Juantoomany Member

I shoot 1 oz's.......never a problem...even in cold weather...been shooting for 2-3 years..

Dave

6. fly

fly Active Member

i was just told that KEMEN originally made in Spain, are now made in Tennessee or Texas, either way, they are now made in the states. I'm considering switching brands, as being a registered shooter, i don't need the distractions.

7. daveship

daveship Member

i shoot 1 1/8 1250 no problems at all

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If I am not mistaken the Kemen Shells and Rio's plus one other are all Mfgd by the same company, the name on the box and color of the shell is the only difference. Just came to me the Wolf shells.

If someone knows differently let me know, I think Bob Schultz would know.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

Kemen are made in McEwen, Tennessee by American Sporting Supplies, LCC. It says so right on the box. There is no compairson between Kemen and Rio. Kemen use 5% antimony. This year I have shot over 18000 registered tournament targets in sporting clays with Kemens and B&P's. I have yet to have any misfires. They work for me,

William

10. fly

fly Active Member

William, are you using an old inventory? They were built in Spain, and i had great results, but as i stated earlier, this all just changed recently.
    How are B & P's?

11. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

These are new Kemen loads. The olds ones were from Spain. They are great loads. The B&P's have less recoil, and my K gun and my Blaser love the 1 oz loads. I shot both, whichever I can get the best deal on. Take care, William

12. JPN

JPN TS Member

Purchased 100 flats of Spanish 1 1/8oz, 7 1/2, 2 3/4 Dram Kemens in Nov. 2009. Used for trap singles and Doubles and they preformed terrific; clean burning, hard hitting with very soft recoil. Bought several flats of same shell made in McEwen late this summer and they produced much stronger recoil. Discussed with Kemen rep. (John Gill) and sent box from each lot (one Spanish and one Tenn.) to factory. Their test results confirmed the U.S. made shells produced higher pressures and recoil. We are now looking for an alternative in the same price range. Should we go to Estates, SuperTargets, or what??? Wish we could buy more Spanish Kemens.

JPN

13. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Shot Spanish Kemens for lot of years and Never had a misfire. Also, cleanest burning shells I have ever shot. Have not shot any US manufactured.

14. fly

fly Active Member

Initially i didn't pay attention to the lot numbers, as I shot them with good results. Now that I'm having failures to fire in several guns, I became concerned. I did have some email correspondence with the factory, but am still waiting on the call from John Gill.

I need to order shells for the upcoming season, and don't want to end up with a bad batch of shells. I heard the best place to buy ammo is the Grand American, which may be an option going forward. I liked the cheaper shells because i just let the empties fly, but may consider Federal Gold Medals, and sell the empties.

15. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Those Fed. G.M.s (ribbed ones) are probably one of the longest lived hulls for re-loading that I have ever used, just don't sell as well as STSs & Gun Clubs most likely because you can't wear them out. Ross Puls

16. bubbaw

bubbaw Member

I agree. The US made Kemens do seem to have more recoil than the ones made in Spain. My guess is that they are uses a different power. I also use to shoot the Green Rio's (1 oz 1280fps) when they were made oversea's. I hate to say this, but when they moved to the US, the load changed and appeared not to hit the target as hard as before. Several other people who I shoot with noticed the same thing. That is when I moved to Kemens and B&P's.

William

17. JPN

JPN TS Member

Have used a few B&P's, they seem to be a wonderful product, however, they are not competively priced with the Kemen shell. Therefore, strongly leaning toward Estates, Supertarget or Gunclub...would appreciate opinions on these or any others near the same price point...would be a full pallet order.

JPN

18. fly

fly Active Member

i have not seen B & P in my neck of the woods, but would like to try them. What is the going rate per flat?

19. JPN

JPN TS Member

In 100 flat orders we bought Kemens for about $48, whereas B&Ps run about $60 per flat. That's why we're looking for an alternative to the U.S. Kemens.

Wish folks would provide opinions on Estates versus Supertargets versus Gun Clubs, as they are in the Kemen price range.

JPN

20. fishguts

fishguts Member

One thing I noticed about the Kemen 1250 fps Handicap load is that it is loud, very loud, not that it means anything. Never shot any because I can't find then in N/W Indiana,

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kemen12 guage 8 shot