1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kel Tec seems to be a firearms innovator

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I received a notice today about Kel Tec's new Sb 2000 rifle(?). http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-kel-tec-sub-2000/
    Uses any num,ber of pistol magazines.

Upon checking the website I see they are marketing a variety of unique firearms. In addition to the Sub-2000, http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/

they have the PMR-30, http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/pistols/pmr-30/

and their defensive shotgun, http://www.keltecweapons.com/news/preview-kel-tec-shotgun-ksg/

In fact, all of their products seem just "a little" outside the norm. What do you think?

Larry

2. ky4some

ky4some Member

I own two Kel Tec's and yes I believe they are an innovative company. They find a niche in the firearms market and go after it with a well made but no frills product. I would put them in the "great value for the buck" category. However, that Sub 2000 is not new. Been out quite a while. It's a carbine that uses pistol grip magazines. I have one that uses S&W mags. I also have a P-32 for everyday SD carry. It's the thinnest, lightest .32ACP on the market. Kel Tec makes great guns designed to be used as tools but I certainly wouldn't call them showpieces. But then again that's not what they are after. I highly recommend any Kel Tec weapon.

Mike Kamer

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I carry a Keltec 380 and love it. My latest toy which I had been trying to get for over a year is the PMR-30. It is one bad little pistol. I didn't notice the listed weight but I would guess it is less than ten ounces. Fully loaded it is still so light and pretty accurate I might add. I usually only load 25 bullets in the magazines and have less problem with misfeeds. I had seen the 2000's advertised but haven't seen one yet. Jackie B.

4. maierar

maierar Member

Keltec has a mixed reputation. They actually make good products and provide excellent customer service. I must agree with the statements above and point out that one way Keltec saves money is by leaving the products a bit rough (hence the complaints from people who were expecting a S&W Custom Shop gun for $300.) If you invest a little time and energy in cleaning and polishing a new Keltec (http://www.thektog.org/tecwerks10.htm) you will be rewarded with a good-performing, dependable, firearm at far lower cost than just about any alternative.
    My PF9 is also surprisingly accurate for a short-barrel pistol and the .22LR conversion kit is a hoot to play with.[​IMG]
    Maier

5. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I agree and the models mentioned above, the 32 and 380 are excellent. I had a 9mm and found it to be too much cartridge for such a small platform. It was very hard to shoot accurately even at 7 yards. The 32 and 380 shoot just like anything else, a few in the 10 ring, few in the 9. Excellent choice for teh money and purpose intended.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I love my Kel Tek SU 16-C. Shoots .223 or 5.56. Light weight and accurate with open sights, takes AR mags, stock folds up and will still fire. I carry it in an old tennis racket case. Remember some of the innovative guns of Grendel, and Husqvarna in the late 80's and early 90's? That was George Kellgren. Founder of Kel Tec.

Wayne

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Where are they made?

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

USA!!!!

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Last gunshow I went to a dealer had a PMR30 on the table for $415. It was gone in 20 minutes of opening(when my son went back to buy it) on Saturday.

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I held one yesterday and I am not impressed, too much junk plastic

11. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I had the .380. The hammer spring broke at app. 300 rounds. I ended
    trading it for a Kahr. I wouldn't trust one to save my life.

12. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Bought a Sub 2000 a couple years ago and it was such a POS I sold it unfired. They have some niche places in the product line but that initself doesnt mean it's the best tool for the job and for the money. Take a quick spin thru the Kel Tec owners group and do some reading thru all the problems asscociated with some models. That niche in the market imo caused Kel Tec to rush the PMR 30 out into retail way before the gun was ready.

13. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I wish they would sell their designs to a company that would actually produce them using quality materials that were well put together.

As it is they are just nifty junk.

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

the pf9 should have been a melted smooth, pocket carry gun: not the jagged edged, tactical rail gun that it became. they missed their market on that one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.