1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Kel Tec P3AT Owners, please comment

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cls, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls

cls Member

I'm considering a Kel Tec P3AT (.380) as a carry gun. All I know about it is that it is extremely light weight.

Any comments that any one may provide on this gun would be appreciated.

Thanks, cls

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Mine is backup gun only. Glock 19 is primary with IWB or OWB depending on dress. It is a nice fit in front pants pocket. Just not enough horsepower for me as a primary.

If you are looking for small you might look at a Glock 26.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

It is a nice gun shoot VERY good for a short barrel. Fed hydo shok is the best ammo. If you get a 32 you may have a extraction problem,depends on the date of manufacture.

4. BARTMAN

BARTMAN TS Member

I bought one last week seems to be just right. shot it about 20 times no jams. I have read that if you have trouble that cust service is super

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

You might want to check out the Ruger LCP. It is a .380 also and it is lighter and smaller than the KelTec I beleive.

Hauxfan!

6. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Bought one from a friend. I like it real well. It makes a nice carry gun for warm weather. Accurate (for what its designed to do) and reliable. My friend bought an LCP. Now he wants the P3AT back. The only real advantage I can see of the LCP is that it holds the slide back on the last shot and the KT does not. KT is a good inexpensive reliable gun!
    Hope this helps.

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

There is a Ket Tec owners site: KTOG.org, that covers all the info you could want on Kel-Tec guns. KT also has a life time warranty, and is made in the U.S.A.
    Wayne

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I don't think you'll go wrong. Sometimes you'll get one with a feedramp that won't feed, even hardball, but K-T is excellent on customer service. The Ruger LCP is a near-perfect copy, and is equally excellent, with equal customer service. I love 'em both. By the bye, the LCP's hold-open is thumb activated, it does not hold open after the mag's empty. My experience is both the P3AT & LCP can shoot great sub-2" 7-yard groups. I prefer the P3AT's grip, it has a bit sharper checkering & so is easier to hold onto. The K-T optional mag extension will fit both pistols' mags, and helps you hold onto it. Either gun is a tiny sweet backup. Both are very easy to shoot, with equally nice but long trigger pulls, but the short grip makes them squirm around some for me, when shooting. The LCP is hot, and waits can be months. Mine was 3 months. Phil E

9. biff

biff Active Member

Be sure and get the clip so you can hook it into your waist band, you hardly know you are carrying. The .32 weighs 6.9 ounces empty and the cartridges are lighter than the .380 which weighs 7.9 ounces empty. Either will do the job as you'll be close if you have to use them. Winchester .32 Silver Tips work great in the Kel Tech like they do in the Seecamp which is a great small gun but has now way to put the clip on it. Biff

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have several Kel Tecs. The P3AT's only real disadvantage is that it is chambered for the .380. I'd prefer the PF-9, but it is slightly larger. It is chambered for the 9mm, which is about the bare minimum I would consider for carry. The .380 is still much better than nothing, but look at the PF-9 first. I have a P-11 and P-40 that have seen a lot of carry. I also have a P-32, but it's also not a primary carry piece. Be sure that you break these guns in before relying on them for carry. Once in a great while you may get one with a feeding, ignition, or other issue. Kel Tec is pretty good on service if you need it. I have not had any issues, except that the P-40 had a hard time with one brand of ammo that had thick primer cups. The problem was resolved with a phone call. I still avoid that ammo, but it has fired every round since the fix. The Ruger LCP looks like a direct copy of the P3AT. I test fired one and it wasn't any better or worse than the Kel Tec. You could hardly tell them apart if it wasn't for the Ruger Insignia.

Now back to the P3AT. It is light, eaasily concealed, and pretty reliable. Mine has never skipped a beat. I only have about 400 - 500 rounds through mine. Some people say it is a little unpleasant to shoot. The PF-9 has a touch more recoil, but the grip is a little larger, so it's easily handled. The magazines with the grip extensions do make a difference in the way the gun feels. I also like the DeSantis pocket holsters, or the even the ones made by Mike's. They stay upright in the pocket and are flat enough for them not to have much of an outline.

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Love mine. Only had it a month but very light, reliable in what little shooting I've done and its the kind of gun you will have with you if you need one. My 45 GM and Beretta 92 are heavy and bulky for easy concealment and everyday use. If I knew I'd be in a gunfight I pick a bigger gun but I wouldn't want to be shot with it.

Its a handfull with Corbon loads but surprisingly accurate.

12. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Quackshot,

I had a P-11, and traded it for a P3AT for pocket carry. The older 9mm version was just a little to big and heavy for a pocket gun for me.

You can look at measurements all day, but the proof is in the carrying. How does the PF-9 compare to the P3AT for a pocket gun?

Danny

13. cls

cls Member

Thank you all for your comments. cls

14. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

I've had several Kel Tec guns, all good so far. I always do what they call a fluff and buff and have never had a failure. The most important step is make sure the feed ramp is polished like glass with no burrs. Second is make sure the rails are burr free, just go through and check all the moving parts and at least buff them and lube correctly. The .380 has killed many many people so it will work if thats all you got.

15. melie

melie Guest

Go with the Kel-Tec PF9.
    More stopping power in a very flat,easily concealed gun.

Mark

16. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

If you've shot one in 9mm you had to have your hand splinted...

17. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I have a P3AT and believe it is about perfect for an "always" gun; small, light, with much better than "minuite of man" accuracy. I also have a Kahr PMP9 which is a nice small carry gun, but a handful to shoot, so most of the time I drop the P3AT in my pocket. If I believed I was going to be in a gunfight, I would opt for a good shotgun or rifle.

....Paul

18. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

I have carried a p3at for about 4 years now ,always worked with no problems after a flitz and blitz,the fbi says the 380 is the most deadly cartridge because all the energy stays in the body ,even more deadly than the 357 mag. Dan Witcher

19. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

If you have large hands, consider 2 things to help the P3AT grip & control: 1) a Hogue slip on grip...takes a little trimming with a scissors or pen knife to fit and 2) Kel-Tec magazine extension for the P3AT. With those additions and practice the P3AT is a great defense gun. Regards, Ed

20. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

If the FBI says the 380 is the most deadly cartrige, I can't help but wonder why they carry the 40 S&W so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.