Trapshooters Forum banner

??? Kel-tec P-40 / P-11 thoughts ???

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  dmarbell 
#1 ·
I'm looking for another CCW carry gun. I have several guns that are my favorites so please keep this on topic.

Anyone have a Kel-tec P-11 or P-40? If so give me your thoughts. I really like the availability of a .22conversion kit from Twisted industries for practice/plinking.

Thanks, Richard

#3 ·
I had the kel tec pf9. Liked it for summer carry, but the the magazine it came with was a p.o.s. Bought a new mag and the feeding problem went a away.

My buddy has the p11 and likes it. He uses the belt clip and carries it all the time. No function issues at all.

The jamming issue from the get-go made me dislike the gun altogether. Lots of machining marks on the parts. Imho, not a bad gun, but not the best quality either.

Traded mine plus some cash for a glock 27.

John

#4 ·
Had a P11 for many years, didn't have any problem shooting Silver tips, never tried anything else since reliable test is expensive.

This pistol is probably the most size effective full capacity 9mm at the time, maybe still is. Everything that holds flush 10 round magazine are bigger or thicker.

My biggest complain was LONG and heavy trigger pull, send it to Kel-tec for a newer spring they offered at the time, the gun came back with a new grip and lighter trigger pull, but it's still a long pull with increasing poundage toward the end.

I finally trade it for a G26 because it's easier to shoot, but G26 is much square and bulkier for carry.

#12 ·
I wanted a semi-auto .22 Mag so what choice did I have but a $1200 Volquatzen. The trigger pull on the Kel-Tek feels just fine dry firing it. I have a Sig 226 9mm for a self defense gun. I'm well aware there are better guns than Kel-Tek but all the test I've seen on the redesigned PMR-30 have been good as long as you use quality high velocity ammo. Where else will I find a .22 Mag semi that holds 30 rounds? Jimmy Borum

#13 ·
I have a P-11, and thought I wanted a PF9. But with the hard and long trigger pull on the P-11, I couldn't hit myself in the ass with it, using both hands. YMMV.

If I were in the market for a gun that size in 9mm, I'd think hard about the Sig Sauer P938. 911 function with safety, and possibility of a good trigger. It's single-action, designed to be carried cocked and locked.

Also, I hope this is on topic, but a pocket is not the best place to carry.

Danny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.