Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel Tec or Ruger 380

4K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  Sky Buster 
#1 ·
With 380 would be the best carry gun for the price? Thanks

#2 ·
I prefer the Kel-Tec although there probably isn't a nickels worth of difference between the two. If reliable either makes a great always gun. I know that I have had complete reliability from a K32 and 2 P3AT's over about a thousand rounds of practice so why switch.

--- Chip King ---

#4 ·
Ruger---no matter how bad you bust it or abuse it, they'll fix it. Don't know about Kel Tec. Not five cents worth of difference between them as far as how they're made but I'll pick ruger.

I'll buy a trashed Ruger any day if the price is right. Send it in, you get virtually a new gun back at no cost other than shipping.

My LCP hits dead on at ten yards with MagTec defense rounds and is "forgotten" in the pocket holster.

#6 ·
As one who has sold and serviced all of these guns, STAY AWAY from the PPK-S. They are overpriced jammers.

The Kel-Tec has the clip made for them, the Ruger is a better made Kel-Tec.

Right now, the Ruger is outselling the K-T about 4-to-1.

The Bersa works well, but is monumentally bigger than the LCP or the K-T.

My BUG is the Kel-Tec, mainly because of the clip.

#7 ·
I have big hands and the Ruger has a much larger trigger loop. I Can't get my Finger in the Kel Tex trigger guard without depressing the trigger a bit.

#14 ·
Savage99Stan, I've a guy who works for me who has a Ruger Blackhack .45 revolver. It was rather beat up when he bought it...the ratchet and lockup is worn some. Would Ruger repair this and what cost?

#15 ·
I agree with the fact that the mouse guns are not ideal. However, for a BUG, or in hot weather when one wears cut offs and a tank top, they beat a rock.

After many hours of training, daily handling, and semi-annual refreshers, I almost always carry an edged weapon. The Kel-Tec beats the pants off any knife.

It is easier to defend in court against shooting an attacker than if you must mortally wound one with an edged weapon. Forensic pictures are graphic, when shown to a jury (if the event goes to trial).

The clip on the Kel-Tec allows the gun to be hidden inside the waist band without a holster, while keeping the gun secure. It also resembles a knife in the waistband.

Ruger will indeed repair your Blackhawk.

#16 ·
The little gun you have with you beats the big gun you left at home because you have no practical way to carry it due to clothing constraints.

If I could figure out a way to carry it year 'round, I'd just carry my 6-1/2" Model 29 .44 Mag and not look back. That's kind of hard to do in summer beach clothing.

#18 ·
RickN....I bought a Super Blackhawk at a gun show for a song..it was badly abused..ejector rod housing off, stud pulled out, back sight smashed from being dropped, and on and on.

Sent it to Ruger. Expected to pay a couple C-notes for parts/labor. Got it back in about five weeks, new barrel, sight, ejector rod/housing, grip frame screws, some internal parts PLUS a polish and reblue.

NO Cost. Other than shipping.

Don't know if they'll still do it on your friend's but would bet on it.

stan

#20 ·
I own a half dozen or more Kel-Tecs. The P3AT is great. I have no reason to buy the Ruger, since my Kel-Tec works quite well. I have various other Kel-Tecs and they have all worke well after breaking them in and sorting them out. They look very close, so I'd probably say go with the least cost. My PPK/S is dying from loneliness. It took a LOT to make it reliable and it is twice as heavy and bulkier than either the Kel-Tec or the Ruger. My one suggection would be to take a serious look at the PF-9. It's a compact 9mm and has a little more of an effective cartridge. The recoil is about the same. It's flat and hides well, plus it's a real 9mm.

#22 ·
I have the Kel Tec P3AT and like it vey much. That said, I don't think you can go wrong with either gun. Whatever you get shoot it a lot, at least 200 rounds and make sure it functions perfectly and you can hit with it. Neither gun is a "target" gun, so don't expect small groups. Try several brands of premium .380 HP's and see if one functions better than the others. If so, carry it. Practice until you can keep a clip full into the center of a full size human target from 7 yards.
The small gun you have on you when trouble strikes beats the big one at home.

....Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.