1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping your head in the right place on the lanes!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Feb 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

I have reached the point that my concentration is my only weakness out on the lanes, so I'll ask the question- how do you keep your concentration out there? What do you do to hold your nerve?

I have a stupid tenancy to miss silly birds like my last target, or the straight on lane 3, but in my head I'm doing so much stuff and i have trouble switching off, its just the person i am i think.

Some of the things i do- I'm keeping score, thinking about the highest score so far in the clubhouse is, realizing the last 3 targets before me have been left hand swingers, wondering if that means I'll get a right hander, wondering if that wind blowing will effect my shells and perhaps I should have used the quicker version, etc.

I try to switch on just before it's my turn, and tell myself in my head-' shoot under em and in front of em!' and 99% of the time I keep it all under control, but it's the 1% that's costing me the major win.

What do you do to hold it all together? I don't miss from any other reason than a minute lapse in concentration!

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

From what you wrote, it's clear that you don't want to focus on the shot you are about to make. You have made other things more important to you and you have chosen to focus on them instead.

You need to function in the "here and now".

There is no past, no future, no "was", no "will be", no "someplace else".

There are a hundred ways to say it: "You have one task. Break one target. There is nothing else."

Keller

3. open choke

open choke TS Member

This happens to us all.

Unfortunately

4. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

As Unknown1 said: Keep focused on the IMMEDIATE task at hand. Easier said than done. Enjoy the sport. Chichay

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Aussie D., sent you a PM mate!

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Add to that the 1,001 distractions that are out there. I'll allow the brain to take a breather after the shot. Then remind myself to breathe, relax and re-focus, in that order. Someone told me that I need to remind myself that it's only a distraction, there are always distractions and just make sure it's tuned out before you call. Easier said than done, but good advice.

HJH

7. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

This seems to happen to everyone to a degree. It certainly happens to me. Not that I am any kind of expert...far from it!...but I have found that a mantra seems to help push aside distractions and give me a positive focus at the same time. When I mount the gun I say to myself..."Hug the gun!" Then just before I call for the target I mentally repeat the words, "See the break!" This sometimes works to keep my face on the stock and my eyes on the target. You might try this. Hope it helps. Jack Farrow

8. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Get an IPod and listen to Led Zepplin Number 2. Re-record "Stairway to Heaven" about 20 times and just keep listening to it. Second suggestion...stop thinking. I have the same problem.

blade819

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

You are thinking too much Dan. Just shoot the one you are calling right now. Don't think about how to do it, just shoot it. Like Keller said, forget about everything else. We all fight the same thing.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You have to stop thinking. My eyes are "staring" at the ground at my feet, and listening/concentrating for the call of the shooter before me, all the while repeating to myself, "Concentrate and follow through". After I hear the call, I close my gun and begin to mount the gun. I get completely focused on the front of the trap, and call only when I know there are no thoughts going on. Only concentration. I find that if I do not do this as routine, my scores suffer. I have to do this routine, even after a miss. No thinking! Also straight aways are the hardest birds to follow through on. The gun, swing must keep moving after the shot, with rotation at the waist. The more routine things are, the less thinking that goes on. It is what works for me. It stops the thinking, and at the same time eliminates the, "Jumping the bird". It also helps concentrating on the bird that counts, yours. Intsead of concentrating on 125 birds, you concentrate on 25.

As stated above, worry about the score at the end of the round. Worrying about your score during the round is a sure fire way of shooting a bad round. Again you are thinking! The last bird being missed is caused by the same thing! Take a little extra time to get focused, and be sure that you are in full concentration mode, before calling pull. Hope this helps.

Oh, did I mention that the hardest thing to do during a trap round is, to not think. Jon

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

One of the things I've discovered about myself is that my eyes dart around if I'm thinking about something other than the target when I'm ready to call for it.

I've trained myself to recognize when I'm doing this. When I realize I'm not ready to call I focus on bringing my eyes to rest. Then my mind becomes quiet and I can then call for a target.

Keller

12. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Aussie Dan,

My 2 cents is to download Terry Jordan's piece concerning the wall chart. He addresses exactly what you are experiencing.

13. camo shooter

camo shooter TS Member

this is my biggest problem too but i started listening to music it helps it keeps your mind on two things the music and shooting not the 1000 other things then when im next up i stare at the house and then as im bringing my gun up i say ain at the farthest edge of the target stayin the gun and follow through but im no expert but it seems to help me

14. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks for all the ideas guys, it sure seems like everyone has battled this same problem at some point in time!!!

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

Sounds like the Ol' problem acting up again.

You need to KISS

Keep it simple stupid

Not name calling,but that's what I get told every time I start thinking too much.

So ,before shooting,KISS the air,to remind you..

Doug H.

16. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

Dan, I had a similar problem, I ask an old local pro shooter to help, after watching a dozen shots, we sat down and he explained that I had taken the fun out shooting and said " just shoot the bird, haved fun, you know how to shoot don,t make harder that it needs to be" This was the best advice I have ever been given..

Enjoy the sport, Lane

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.