1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping your HEAD DOWN!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Calkidd, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I did a search and could not find any related threads about this issue. Not that is hasn't been discussed before, but I couldn't find it.

What have some of you done to help with lifting your head. I know I seem to struggle with this. When I focus and remember I can keep my head down, but as soon as my concentration is broken then it all goes to hell in a hand basket. Meaning; hot weather which induces sweat in my eyes, pissed off because I missed a target, etc.

I was just curious if some of you might have a technique or exercises that helps you with this issue.

Bryan

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Duct tap and fish hooks have been suggested to me. Bill Malcolm

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Attach few fishing hooks to your balls attached to a string around your head. That will keep your head down. LOL

4. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Consider your gun fit. If you are having trouble staying in the gun, maybe you are trying too hard to fit yourself to the gun, rather than having the gun fit you. Mark

5. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

You have to approach each target like it is the 100 out it of 100 for your yearly salary. Each Target has to be broke to win they are all.equal. take your time and be.consistent. one at a time.

How many targets do.you shoot a year?

Brady Gies

6. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Ditto what Mark said. Is it also possible its recoil related? Hard staying into the stock if you shoot a thumper or shoot heavy loads.

7. Idahobill

Idahobill Member

I started raising the rib and comb. I now have a 1in. add a rib and a high comb to match it took some time but now I cannot raise my head and it works I am now shooting better scores I raised my head for years and knew when I did it and this was the only to stop it. Bill

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bring the gun to the face, not the face down to the gun. Gun fit.

9. Crunch

Crunch Member

Raise your elbows a bit more to force your face into the stock. The benefit is a physical and psychological reminder to keep your head on the stock.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Idaho. that is a good suggestion for some

11. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

It could be a problem I fought this weekend at sporting clay shoot. I shoot with one eye and when I did not see target after I called pull the head popped up and resulted in lost targets. That being said, the hold point is critical to seeing the target and keeping head on gun. FYI, I am not a sporting clays shooter as this was a get together with old friends fun shoot. Good luck. jim w.

12. Calkidd

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I shoot over 10K targets a year not all registered. I shot about 7000 registered targets and about 4000 practice/league targets per year. I am not a recoil sensitive person, but in respect to that I don't shoot heavy loads. My doubles/singles are 1160 fps and my handicaps are around 1235 fps all 1 1/8 oz. The time the recoil gets me is when I lift my head. My gun like to give my cheek a little kiss telling me what I did wrong.

Gun fit maybe my issue. I do have an adjustable pad which I have dropped down and canted to fit my shoulder pocket. I like the idea of lifting my elbow more. I have seen pictures of myself and my shouldered elbow is pointed down at about 60°. I don't know of any one that is a gun fitter here in the Central Valley of California. There are times when I mount the gun and it's right on, everything lines up and the gun feels really good. Other times its like shouldering a 2x4.

Just like Jim, I am a one eyed shooter. I don't close it, but I have a Magic Dot over my left eye. I have experienced that surprise target before, but for the most part I have adjusted my hold points so that does not happen. Just before I shoot I tell me self to keep my head down and for the most part I do. It's during fatigue I start lifting.

Setterman, I have heard that more times than not. Can you explain what this process is? I have heard to bring the gun to your face before your shoulder. How is this possible?

Bryan

13. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

I had that problem when I shot a Citori, but never when shooting my field grade Franchi. The Franchi was fit to me by a master gunsmith and fitter, and came into my face and shoulder simultaneously, while the Citori was a bit of a struggle to mount consistently in the proper place.

I eventually found that if I put the gun out in front of me, then brought it in to my shoulder while looking over the rib that it came to my face and shoulder in a more natural mount. I didn't mount it on my shoulder, then have to squinch my head over and down to get behind the rib, which would eventually made my neck and shoulder muscles tight and uncomfortable.

Once you are uncomfortable in your shooting stance, your body wants to return to a more normal position, and you start to lift your head. Practice, with your eyes closed, in front of a mirror, bringing the gun up and out, away from your body, then in to your shoulder. When it is mounted solidly, don't move your head or the gun, just open your eyes and see how close you are to looking straight down the rib. If you are like I was, you won't be very close. Do it several times, without trying to correctyour mounting problems, until you have a consistent mount, then start making your adjustments on your gun. Drop the pad, cant the pad, raise the comb, shift the comb over, raise the rib, whatever. All of these have the potential to affect your point of impact, so be aware that you may have to use an add on rib to get the same point of impact you had, so you don't have to change your shooting style.

Once you have the gun fitting you more naturally, and mounting well, it is time to rig up smsnyders string and fish hooks, just to reinforce the lesson.

Good luck.

14. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

Bryan I found telling myself at any point during a shoot anything becomes a loss target....Leo and Harlan both placed my gun so high beside my face I could hardly see down the barrel ..This is where your gun should be....now make it fit,, Raised the comb and the rib did the trick....One thing I say to myself when shooting is".. pay attention.. " this works for me.... stops all other thoughts.....now I got to find the time to shoot..

15. Calkidd

Illini Bird, can you explain a little more detail about what you meant when you had your gun so high you could hardly see down the barrel. I think I know what you mean, but when I look at Dan Bonillas' gun it is a low rib, non adj comb, factory pad with no adjustments.

We are all built differently, for example I am 6'5" 270+. I am sure what works for Dan is not going to work for me.

Two excellent shooters. Jimmy Heller and Dave Kelly. Jimmy doesn't move his head hardly at all when he mounts, but Dave looks like he crawls on top of the comb.

I will try to raise my comb and luckily I have an adjustable rib which I maybe able to keep my POI the same.

Bryan

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bryan, It's just a matter of practicing your mount. Depending how long your neck is will determine if you'll need some butt pad adjustment. It's OK to bring your head down to the comb a little, but you don't want to make a concerted effort to do it. Everyone's build/body frame is different.

A few years ago I went to a higher ribbed gun and higher comb. Much easier to shoot with the head more erect and more comfortable. If my butt pads is 1" above my shoulder, it's still ok. On some guns I've added an adjustable pad to drop down. Try it. You may find your gun shoots higher though.

Also, bending your head down to the stock strains the muscles in the back of your neck. Those neck muscles will try to contract and pull your head up as the event progresses.

Of course, a custom fitted stock would do the job right.

17. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Bryan, understand what the other gents are saying on how to mount the gun? Extending it out in front of you and bringing it to your body. Just an addt .02. When I do that i also try to bring the pad in more towards the sternum, just below the collarbone. Theres a "pocket" there that my stock fits into consistently. By "centering" the stock a lil more, it makes it easier to use your big muscles to move the gun. And i admit i do crawl into it a smidge, but both my eyes stay horizontal, like im driving a car. When its out towards my shoulder, i dont see the bird as well and i can start getting armsy with it. im 6'3 190. And based on your size i can see why recoil does bother u. lol. I like your shell setup btw. I only shoot 1 oz though Mike

18. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

This fiber optic sight will train you to keep your head down. link above^^

or the Easy Hit fiber optic front sight ... basically the same but no red dots! http://www.easyhit.com/page3/page3.html Lift your head and the green dot disappears because of the hooding over the front fiber section.

19. Calkidd

Thank you all for the great replies. It is all good information.

I have tried the hood sight in the past but it has been years. Maybe I should revisit it. Also, doesn't the bright green/orange sight take your eyes away from the target? I know that is another obstacle I have trouble with, but not as bad as lifting.

Bryan

20. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

One rule I have for myself is that I MUST see the bird break before I am able to lift my head.

Search tags for this page
how to keep head down shooting trap
how to keep your head down when shooting trap

keep your head down trap shooting

trapshooting tips on keeping head down