1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping up with Pat Traps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MachOne-83, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MachOne-83

MachOne-83 TS Member

Need some help. At Fort Worth Trap and Skeet we have all Pat Traps for our Trap range, it seems we are having a lot of trouble with keeping the brushes on them. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do to fix it? Thanks for your help on this.
    Dean in Fort Worth TX

2. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I'm not perfectly clear what you mean by "having a lot trouble keeping the brushes on them".

If you mean they come loose, yeah. When we first got our PATs I noticed they attached with a machine screw. And it's easy to over-tighten, which reams out the epoxy pilot hole. What we've done ever since is this:

I make ours out of heavy duty 1" paint brushes, using an original as the pattern. Drill an undersized pilot hole and attach with a coarse thread wood screw. Holds better.

3. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Dean, some of the brushes we received in the past had the hole drilled a little too big and I had to put a larger screw in it. You could not use the one that came with it.

I had more problems with the elevator lift springs, the rubber and nylon bushings and even one bushing bolt snapped off. When received new, one had a tack weld that had broke and it kept jumping time. I drilled a 3/8 hole and bolted it together.

As said above, I also like the idea of making them yourself. Ray

4. WTW

WTW Member

I have had that problem. I have been using a little epory in the hole and letting it set over night, it takes care of the problem for me.

Ted

P S put brush on before epory can dry. Don't over tighten.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

When the brush gets a little worn you can loosen and turn 180° and re tighten. Ray

Came back to edit to say I sometimes used a 1/4 inch head screw as it is easier to install with a small wrench or ratchet in close quarters.

6. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

We found that if you change the brush to the old western style trap brush used on their trap which is made of nylon and the screw doesn't pull out and they last forever, they hold the bird tighter against the arm and they work very well. We very rarely have to change them until they wear out. We have been using them on old and new model pat traps. This has solved the problem that you are having.

7. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

Be sure you have the oval head of the cutoff paint brush in the milled out pocket on the machine. This milled out pocket is not on all machines. I recently went out to service a machine only to find the brush missing completely. You really need to do something to secure the screw into the head of the brush if only to use an oversize screw. One of our shooters suggested using a stud in the brush head and a nut to hold it in place. That might even make it easier to install. I don't advocate the idea of using a locktite or crazy glue to hold the screw in because you need to change these things often and why make it even more difficult to get the darn thing out than it already is?

8. MachOne-83

MachOne-83 TS Member

Thanks guys, will try some of these sugestions and see what happens. Where do you get the "old style western brushes" that you were speaking of?

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I can confirm that nylon brushes last a long time. Those are the type I buy (1" wide and thick) when it's time to make some.

Cut the filaments back to match the original, cut off the handle at the ferrule with a band saw or hacksaw. Smooth and square up the cut on a stationary belt sander and drill the pilot hole for coarse thread screw. Easy.

10. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Paint Brush? It is a $7500 machine? Is that the only problem?
    Just asking
    Grif

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.