1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping the Primer Tray Running Smooth

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Hunt!ng, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Hunt!ng

Hunt!ng Active Member

In a attempt to make my PW 800 primer tray running smooth and more consistent into the start of the ribbon: I have found it is more of an issue when I upgraded my reloader from the original 100 count tray to the 300 count tray. I like being able to load propellant, shot with upgraded hoppers and primers and sit down and load over a flat without stopping, then take a break while inspecting and boxing those up. I believe the difference between the two trays is the added weight from a full 300 count tray vs the reduced weight as the tray is getting low. I do know that various manufacturer types of 209 primers can make a difference in the PW tray and have tried wiping the surface with furniture polish but now found that wiping the tray with a clean microfiber cloth can make a difference.

2. creeker

creeker Active Member

Try using Johnson's paste wax,it works wonders on the slick surface,there are a lot of folks using this method.

Harley Lekvold thanked this.
  3. Sportshot2

Sportshot2 Active Member

Hornady one shot does the jog for me

hotwater and Geoman15 thanked this.
  4. sddutchman

sddutchman Member

I use a MEC not a PW, but I've found that polishing the steel primer tray with never dull works great.

5. GWB

GWB TS Member

+1 for Hornady one shot. Spray it on, wipe it off. One shot also cleans

hotwater and Geoman15 thanked this.
  6. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold Active Member

Plus for me.

7. Geoman15

Geoman15 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use oneshot on my whole press. Much less resistance. Super smooth operation on my Grand.
    Good stuff.
    Geo.

hotwater thanked this.
  8. creeker

creeker Active Member

I use Hornady One shot to clean,but I have now taken other folks ideas and use the Johnson's paste wax,it works very well and IMHO,is much slicker.

9. T.P.S.

T.P.S. Member

I use spray silicone

10. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have the same tray on a PW. You will fight head pressure from the extra primers than the pressure will get lower when nearing empty. I have the vibrator from Whiz on mine and helps level this out. I have also made my own plastic finger at the bottom to open the channel up to 2.5 primers wide rather than a single row. This helped a lot. But I have found a automotive "mist and shine" which is a spray that you just wipe off will slick that thing up so much you will have to lower your ramp. I also have found that even though I can get 300 in there I just load 200 and it seems to lower my problems. Another thing if you go with the spray you really dont need the vibrator IMO. I keep the vibrator on the machine but just cycle it off and on as needed. I have found you just dont need it much with a get slick surface.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not sure if the original thread still exists, but there was a modification to the bottom portion of plastic in the tray itself - the part that directs the primers to the feed tube. Was designed to make to primers more 'free feeding' than with the original block.

Worth looking for.

12. AK Clays

AK Clays Member

I'm another Johnson's paste wax fan, have to wax the bottom of the tray about once a year.

13. K80pro#8

K80pro#8 Member

Does wax really make the tray slide enough?
    Does it only work with metal trays?
    Or does it work with plastic ones as well?

14. 3200-man-2

3200-man-2 Member

My Mec tray is slicker the Owl Crap with wax on it.........I'm glad I tried it , Thanks !

15. SWPAShooter

SWPAShooter Member

I have a RCBS Grand, with the flat primer tray that holds 100 primers, I cannot put more than 30 a time into it. If I put more in, one of them ends up sideways and blocks the drop tube. I waxed the tray floor, but it did not seem to help. I'm so used to just loading 30 then adding more, it's no big deal, but it sure would be nice to load 100 straight.

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with any kind of car wax on my 800+. I just run a 100 in the tray and check powder loads when I need to put another 100 in.

I noticed some people using Hornady one shot. I wonder how well it would work on the primer feed ram assembly. I use powdered graphite now and it works OK but always looking for something better and easier.

17. AK Clays

AK Clays Member

Works on plastic trays as well.

18. Hunt!ng

Hunt!ng Active Member

From the thread initiator: I also found that leaving the PW progressive in the "UP"position (turret up towards the cross head and tooling) momentarily reduces the incline of the primer tray. With the 300 count primer tray in this position I can empty 3- boxes of primers without any tipping over. When the reloader is in the "DOWN" position the incline of the primer tray slightly increases.

19. K005

K005 Member

I had the same problem with Grand. I stuck a piece of 0.075" adhesive tape to the side of the tray. So far, so good. I loaded 500 shells with the fix without one sideways primer. 20170120_181509_Burst01.jpg

Trigger71 and SWPAShooter thanked this.
  20. SWPAShooter

SWPAShooter Member

Thank you K005, I will definitely give that a try, thanks for the good Pic as well.