1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping shells warm ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

This might sound a little off the wall. I load my car the night before I go to a registered shoot. The car is in an unheated garage. I've got about a 3 hr drive to the range. I've got one of those little refrig/heaters that run on 12 v. Does cold temps 30 degrees F and below really affect shell performance. I'll be putting a small heater in the car overnight.

Lou

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Keep your shells in the house overnight and put them in a warm cooler before you leave. They won't spoil.

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I have never been told this and it has never been recommended to do but I would think that if your were worried about cold shells that maybe you could put them up front on the floor of the car and ... well ... if they aint warm enough there after a 3 hour drive then you could always find a microwave and try that.

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

keep mine in the truck all the time, dosen't seem to bother them much, ran 50 strait last weekend with cold shells.

tony

5. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ya know ... its just another reason and ya know what they say about reasons dont ya?

Winners find a way and the rest find a reason.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Lou........ Yes, I keep my shells warm as much as possible. If it's sunny out, I'll put them on my dashboard to get the sun. If it's cold, I will take them into the club house and set them by the heater, or close to the stove. I got this trick from Daro Handy. He said it makes the shells much more reliable, but the main thing it does is keep the plastic hulls warm and pliable which will help reduce recoil. Daro said it has something to do with the way the warmer plastic absorbs the internal hull pressure whereas a cold, brittle hull has no give to it. Is it true? I don't know for sure, but, if it's good enough for Daro, it's darn sure good enough reason for me to do it... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

I had the priviledge of going to a few winter league shoots with Frank Little in the late 80's to early 90's, and he would keep his shells warm by keeping them near a heat source in the vehicle. He felt it made a difference.

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It primarily depends on the casing and internal components.

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I have experienced the same problems as Eddie with RIO trap loads in cold weather,a few years ago we had some light Mirage trap loads that did the same thing.I have never experienced cold weather bloopers with Federal,Remington or Estate trap loads or with reloads using Clays,titewad,Red Dot or Promo powder.Jerry

10. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i remember a bunch of years ago at the Ohio state shoot in Vandalia there was a friend that had his shells in the back of his pickup. It was really hot that year --about 95-100. Well when he got done shooting he told me he thought his shoulder was about to fall off. The hot shells really were FAST. Not sure if the cold does the same thing but I would imagine that they are chrono'ed at about room temperature. Maybe Neil will chime in with a chart or two. Motordoc

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We shoot in NE Wisconsin in some cold temps, some times 0 degrees or less.

I always have my shell bag in the house till I leave, and bring it in if it's cold. If it's warm I leave it in the car/truck.

about overheated shells, I had some .223's loaded a grain higher than usual on a PD trip- found out the bullets were coming apart.

They worked fine after putting them in the soda cooler. Next trip I was back to my original powder charge.

So yes, temperature makes a difference.

HM

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The RIO bloopers can be traced to the wads I think. We were shooting over crusted snow in cold weather last winter and saw wads from blooper RIO shells falling just in front of the trap house. The over powder cups of the wads were fractured.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dan-o. Wow, I like that Handy reasoning. Logic is... uh... well... logical.

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My personal belief is that those that load shot shells with "old school" powders will have shells more temp sensative than those that load with the newer dual base powders.

I've chrono'd my 'caps shells in both warm and cold weather and have no discerable deviation in fps.

ec90t

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Let's see:

Cost of trapgun, shells, vehicle and misc. equipment = $40,000.00

Cost to heat a garage (2 car size) = $250.00 yearly.

I certainly don't see a problem.

Curt

16. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

Like Maytag, I remember Frank Little, when he shot at West Penn Sportsmen in Pittsburgh area; he would bring his shells into the clubhouse and place them near the fireplace to keep them warm. I avoid keeping my shells in the car overnight in cold weather and throw a disposable handwarmer into the bottom of my shell pouch when shooting in extreme cold. Only problem I had with 'cold' shells was when I used the orange WW12T wads when they first came out.

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Only a chronograph knows for sure.

Can't imagine there isn't some difference, people who target rifles shot pay special attention to the temperature of their ammunition. I know you're not shooting 5 shot groups with your trap gun, but it is important to have a combination that shoots to the same spot, more or less. Isn't POI one of the buzzwords on here?

18. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I keep mine in the clubhouse and then when i'm outside shooting, i always make sure to have handwarmers in my pockets where the shells are. It seems to work pretty well.

19. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Here's your answer.

20. Chokeme

Chokeme TS Member

I had a definite problem with cold weather affecting 1oz loads with Clays International. Had to increase powder to get the pressure high enough to get a complete burn, and consistent performance. Read a revbiew of Clays International in Shotgun sports that advised of the cold weather issue, which confirmed what I had found. Warming the shells never seemed to solve the problem. This happened in the 35 and below range.

Ken Austin
    Whidbey Island, WA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.