1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping shells in car trunk

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Jun 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I just took my shells out of my car trunk.The temp has been up in the high 90.How hot would it have to get to cause a problem.

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

88??

tony

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Temp in trunk could well exceed 140 or more F. Pressures could be really high. Some will now chime in and call us sissies. Screw them. Be safe. There is a reason they tell us to keep ammo, primers, powder in a cool dry place.

BTW...a mistake I made once was, during a winter meat shoot when I was smashing birds and a newbie asked me what I was using, I told him I put my shells in the microwave for fifteen seconds on medium before I shot as that would warm them up and give full velocity.

I caught him walking to the microwave before the next shoot with a box of shells in his hand. Told him I was yanking his chain...

Heat raises pressures. Cold lowers them. How much, I don't know. I do know that on Thursday of this week I will put mine in a cooler (no ice) before I go to the club for trap league.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

High temps can raise pressures. Depending on the load, it could put you over the edge. The interior of a car can exceed 140 degrees. Considering that a lot of the pressure testing is done somewhere around 70 - 75 degrees, it's a substantial change. Just like cold weather can rain on your parade, so can excess heat. I don't store my shells in the car for any substantial length of time, cold or hot.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Several years ago I had my friends at Alliant test velocity of a box of popular discount shells that were loaded in Spain. The box advertised a velocity of 1200 ft/sec. The Alliant routinely tests velocity at -20, 70 and 120 degrees F. At -20 the shells were around 875 ft/sec. At 70 degrees they chronographed at 1140 ft/sec and at 120 degrees they were going at 1225 ft/sec. The rate at which powder burns is temperature dependent. Some powders do not show as much temperature dependence as others.

I also found out the hard way that if your car gets really hot and you have two cases of shells on the back seat, they pose no danger to the fire crew that arrives to put out the fire.

If you happen to walk up to your car and it is filled with smoke, absolutely do not open the door as I did. Fire requires oxygen and guess what opening the door does.

Pat Ireland

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ok Pat...you're going to have to tell us more now...you can't leave it at that. This sounds like a Luther story.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I'm with Buzz, Pat. What was the source of the original fire in your car? You can't through bait like that out and just walk away. Shoot often while we can, Bob

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

I do not wish to embarrass myself further, but I will give you a hint. A small ash can smolder in a car seat for many hours and fill the car with smoke. All you have to do to get a lot of flames is open the door. A smoldering car seat can turn to flames in about two seconds and the entire interior can become flaming in less than one minute. It is exciting, but again, I admit to nothing publicly.

Pat Ireland

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

" Dammit Hodji... these are like a Volkswagen, the trunk is in the front". " You'd better pray those shells don't go off."

[​IMG]

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So Mr. Ireland, are you telling us that you left a smoke burning in the ashtray?

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

wolfram- I am not telling anything. I am much more in the mood to talk about other people than to talk about me.

Pat Ireland

12. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I have kept rifle, pistol, and shotgun shells in my car and truck since I was sixteen ( 51 yrs. ago ) and never had one to go off. There has always been a loaded gun of some kind and that has never went off. Larry

13. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Going off is not a problem, ruining the powder and primers is the main concern. High temps over a period of time will result in less than stellar performance.

Ever tried to shoot shells stored in an attic for a while?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.